collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa are like magnolia.....It's interesting how other fans view us.  (Read 9602 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Villa are like magnolia.....It's interesting how other fans view us.
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
"Have they ever won the European Cup?"

Offline Hoppo

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 08:43:16 PM »
The hatred with Everton stems from 83-84 Milk Cup Semi when we had running battles around Goodison. We landed early and took their main boozer the Blue House. Seriously annoyed them for years.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
I love how now that Bolton is no longer a similie for 'route 1' football they feel like they are the Barcelona of the premier league.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
Bolton are having a good season. I hope they enjoy it, because the second Owen Coyle gets a sniff of a bigger job, he will be gone.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 10:06:21 PM »
Can recall various games with Man Ure and Liverpool fans treating us all to a rousing ditty of 'shit on the Villa,' Arsenal's lot with 'you used to be a big club.'  We might not be high up on their hate list, but we do register. Everton fans for some reason have a major dislike for us too.

Bolton?  Meh. They're just the red headed stepson you pat on the head and feel sorry for.
What it is with Everton? I used to work with an Evertonian who could'nt stand us, never could get my head round it

Genuinely don't know, and it's part of the reason why I shy away from the 'I like Everton' type threads that used to do the rounds here a while back.

You could attribute some of it to our new found wealth around 2006+, where they believed they had some divine right to be challenging for 4th/5th and suddenly felt threatened, but I think it predates even that. Heard various Bluescouse refer to us as 'dirty Villa'  (perhaps they just meant Postma though) and such like long before that period.

I think Everton just don't like anyone. Especially over the last few years with this 'peoples club' bollocks they seem to have got it into their heads that they're the last exponents of proper, non-Premier League newfootie supporters.

Offline villa1

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »
We're so boring he was inspired to write about us.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 10:38:58 PM »
I think "The Bish" writes similar wind-up articles about other clubs.  I wouldn't worry too much with his take on things

Can recall various games with Man Ure and Liverpool fans treating us all to a rousing ditty of 'shit on the Villa,' Arsenal's lot with 'you used to be a big club.'  We might not be high up on their hate list, but we do register. Everton fans for some reason have a major dislike for us too.

Bolton?  Meh. They're just the red headed stepson you pat on the head and feel sorry for.
What it is with Everton? I used to work with an Evertonian who could'nt stand us, never could get my head round it

Genuinely don't know, and it's part of the reason why I shy away from the 'I like Everton' type threads that used to do the rounds here a while back.

You could attribute some of it to our new found wealth around 2006+, where they believed they had some divine right to be challenging for 4th/5th and suddenly felt threatened, but I think it predates even that. Heard various Bluescouse refer to us as 'dirty Villa'  (perhaps they just meant Postma though) and such like long before that period.

I think Everton just don't like anyone. Especially over the last few years with this 'peoples club' bollocks they seem to have got it into their heads that they're the last exponents of proper, non-Premier League newfootie supporters.

I like the way our rivalry with Everton seems to have hotted up.  I think a lot of it also has to do with the history of the fixture, its having been played more than any other. It's certainly a match I love us to win.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
I think Everton's more because were a similar sort of club, great history and a similar fanbase. ALways at similar sort of level.
As for the Bolton fan, they play at the average modern lego land, and enjoying sucess (7th in the league i believe) and are playing football thats making the whole of Bolton take notice of.
We have a few rivals outside the midlands. Always get the man utd, liverpool, everton, chelsea gobbing off and singing "sotv". Personally couldnt care less, just like to set the record straight

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22:04 PM »
I agree with Alex. 

I also think it is a lot to do with the founding of the football league thing - essentially, that Villa were there at the beginning so there is no historical basis to patronise us.

And.. we have a far better name than they could have thought of at the time in the 1870's.  Envy will always sting those in opposition.

And goodness knows they have a lot to be envious about.  Without ever going out of the North west, but also with Villa...

Offline picicata

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »
Of the seven teams who have been fixtures in the premier league since its inception, ourselves and Everton are probably somewhat considered the 'bastard sons' having never seriously won anything like most of the others and not having the 'glamour' of Spurs.

Evertons hatred of us is basically a 'tallest Dwarf' syndrome.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »

He was writing on a forum about our forthcoming game, bit difficult to write about a forthcoming game against Villa without writing about Villa I would have thought.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 05:55:35 AM »

He was writing on a forum about our forthcoming game, bit difficult to write about a forthcoming game against Villa without writing about Villa I would have thought.

There's a time for logic Dave. And that was it.

Offline russon

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 06:11:42 AM »
I think we have to take this one on the chin, we are of little consequence to fans outside the West Midlands, but do we honestly care? I have the same sentiment towards Sheffield Wednesday but I doubt their fans are overly concerned what the rest of the world thinks of them. It's our club and up yours to the rest.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:34 AM »
Oh to be a fan of sexy... Bolton.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »
I went to Bolton once, and the big problem when I got there, was that it was there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal