collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Redknapp ''I'm not a paedophile''  (Read 15013 times)

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: 0% Villa - Redknapp ''I'm not a paedophile''
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
"I'll wait for it to finish and then I'll have my say"

Might as well ask the sun not to shine.

I think he's a fantastic manager and should be managing England.  I also reckon there's a few good reasons they'll never ask him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
  Houllier inherited a young Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher at Liverpool.

And what did Redknapp inherit at Spurs?

An average squad that had never been in the Champions League and were 2nd bottom of the table. 

Rubbish.  He inherited a squad which had finished just outside the top 4 for two of the previous 3 seasons and had had another sh*tload of cash spent on it during the preceding summer.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
Redknapp's an undeniably good manager but he did inherit a far better team than GH has, so the comparisons are utterly worthless.

Did he really?  I wouldn't have said so at all.

A better first team, perhaps, a better squad definitely. Without wanting to go down a well trodden route they have been spending at a high level on their squad for 4 or 5 years longer than us. He's also not been told to trim the wage bill.

Yeah but the comparison is between our squad in September and Spurs when Redknapp came in for Ramos, not now. Therefore, I have to agree with Risso's raised eyebrows.

And as a perennial talker-upper of our team and management and someone who is adept at readily identifying other teams flaws I'm a bit surprised at your view.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »
Redknapp's an undeniably good manager but he did inherit a far better team than GH has, so the comparisons are utterly worthless.

Considering he inherited a squad with the likes of Modric, Bale, Bent, King, Gomes, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Woodgate and Dawson it suggests you think O'Neill left us with a pretty impressive squad then.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:37 PM »
He was awarded a grand in compensation, not a lot I know, but that said, it's admission that the police shouldn't have raided his house.

Let's wait for the case to be closed before judging.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
  Houllier inherited a young Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher at Liverpool.

And what did Redknapp inherit at Spurs?

An average squad that had never been in the Champions League and were 2nd bottom of the table.  He took them to the CL in 1 and a half seasons and added some real quality along the way.  If Redknapp left Spurs tomorrow he would leave them a far better team than when he arrived.  The same can not be said for Houllier's time at Liverpool.  Gh did well there but Liverpool were already a good side.  Redknapp, as much as I can't stand him, is a better manager imo. 

Really? The team Houllier left won the Champions League the season he left, so he left a fairly decent squad for the next man.

Redknapp inherited a bloody good squad, and unlike GH so far, has had a brilliant streak of luck to go with some good decisions. Examples being Pavylechenko and Bale being ushered out the door by harry for him to only keep them due to injuries, and them then playing way better than he expected them too. He has also pulled off some deals that have been well dodgy - Van Der Vaart for 8 million and how many paper bags I wonder.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
I would have to say Arry is a good manager, but like i have said before i like what GH is trying to do so we will just have to wait and see.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »

Considering he inherited a squad with the likes of Modric, Bale, Bent, King, Gomes, Pavlyuchenko, Lennon, Woodgate and Dawson it suggests you think O'Neill left us with a pretty impressive squad then.

For the last two years most people on H&V were laughing at Bale saying how he was shit and that Spurs never won a game with him in the side.  Gomes was similarly seen as a laughing stock.  King and Woodgate are crocks, and Lennon was/is no better than Young.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »

For the last two years most people on H&V were laughing at Bale saying how he was shit and that Spurs never won a game with him in the side.  Gomes was similarly seen as a laughing stock.  King and Woodgate are crocks, and Lennon was/is no better than Young.

No but Young is our best player, Lennon isn't Spurs' and wasn't when he took them over. That was, and still is, Modric. I agree that I wouldn't quite include King and Woodgate in many fair comparisons because they may as well not be there for how often they play, though they did play much more in the earlier days of Redknapp's reign.

As for Bale, I imagine the same people on here who were laughing at him were the same people who wrote off Downing in knee-jerk fashion. He was a young, raw and very talented player, and one who must have been a joy to have in a squad when you take over and look at what you have (even though he only started to show that talent late last season). Gomes, again, always had it in him and Redknapp's undeniably done well to bring it out of him after that shocking start, but it's still a hell of a raw material to work with.

I also think that the type of players he inherited is important. These are players almost all of whom were capable of playing the kind of passing football which you need to play to get to the fabled next level. GH hasn't really inherited nearly enough senior players capable of doing so, and has still done a reasonable job getting some out of them so far.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
For the last two years most people on H&V were laughing at Bale saying how he was shit they were wrong and that Spurs never won a game with him in the side.  Gomes was similarly seen as a laughing stock again, they were wrong.  King and Woodgate are crocks they are, but they are still very good players, and Lennon was/is no better than Young. so one of their top six or seven players was only as good as our best player?

Offline Risso

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »
I'd say that ignoring the shit form of this season, a squad of Friedel, Luke Young, Dunne, Collins, Ashley Young, Downing, Albrighton, Gabby, Carew, Petrov, Cuellar and Warnock is not of a massively inferior quality to the squad Redknapp took over. 

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
I'd say that ignoring the shit form of this season, a squad of Friedel, Luke Young, Dunne, Collins, Ashley Young, Downing, Albrighton, Gabby, Carew, Petrov, Cuellar and Warnock is not of a massively inferior quality to the squad Redknapp took over. 

I could trot out the injuries line but I won't even want to do that. We're talking about sheer ability here? Well, I think the fact first of all that, like I mentioned a page or so ago, the ages of these players are important. Friedel, Dunne, Petrov, even Luke Young - they're all showing the signs of age (some more than others). Downing and Young are terrific, no question, and I would throw Cuellar into that category as well, but Gabby is a quite limited player for all his usefulness in other areas (along with NRC whom you haven't mentioned), Collins is decent but hardly what you'd call a top player, Warnock had started his downward spiral well before the end of last season, Albrighton is hugely gifted but is still raw and inconsistent (possibly due to lack of experience having ludicrously not been played under MON), and as for Carew, well, I'm surprised you're using him as an example of a quality player given his displays for a very long time now. GH had also come after the loss of Milner, a player even more important to us than Carrick was to Spurs when they sold him.

Again, it also shows the importance of the right kind of player. These players aren't really the sort used to playing possession, passing football. Even those with the quality to do so, like Downing and Young, have had to adapt their games significantly, and the midfielder most able to do so, Petrov, is seriously on the wane. MON showed what SGT has said he and Watford showed in the '80s: fiery motivation, solid organisation and a style based more on effort than ability can carry you so far, but only so far. The age of the squad left by MON is also a consideration as well as the style.

Offline Risso

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2011, 07:38:06 PM »
I'd have taken our defence over theirs, their central midfield over ours, nothing much in it when you compare widemen, and possibly they had the better options up front, although Gabby and Carew were probably more consistent then than Bent and Pavluychenko.  As I said, there really isn't a lot in it.  For a team in the bottom three to achieve Champions League football, and for a team that finished 6th to fight relegation all season is a huge turnaround in both cases though.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »

A better first team, perhaps, a better squad definitely. Without wanting to go down a well trodden route they have been spending at a high level on their squad for 4 or 5 years longer than us. He's also not been told to trim the wage bill.

Yeah but the comparison is between our squad in September and Spurs when Redknapp came in for Ramos, not now. Therefore, I have to agree with Risso's raised eyebrows.

And as a perennial talker-upper of our team and management and someone who is adept at readily identifying other teams flaws I'm a bit surprised at your view.

If we took this thread to a Spurs forum they'd piss themselves laughing that there are people on here suggesting that Gerard Houllier is a better manager than Redknapp.  Let's ask them what they think.  I'm sure they'd take a relegation 6 pointer as their next match over a Champions League last 16 clash against AC Milan (which they lead 1-0 by the way).  ::).  Last season we were in the race for 4th until the penultimate game of the season, now we are in a relegation battle and Spurs, having grabbed that 4th spot, are on the brink of the last 8 of the European cup.  In fact, sod it, I'm convinced now, Redknapp is a crap manager and Houllier is a demi-God! 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:31:02 AM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
I can't quite believe that this is even a discussion. 

Redknapp, despite being a total tosser, is light years ahead of Houllier in the Management stakes.
The job Redface has done at Spurs is nothing short of superb, meanwhile GH was out to pasture with the FFA only to return to Management after 5 years to lead us boldly towards a relegation battle.  We know the facts, much as they hurt us.

I want GH to succeed, I want the Villa to win every game we play, I can't stand Spurs and the media obsession with Arry but the levels of delusion on this thread are reaching record levels.

I recently had a bet with a Spurs supporting mate of mine that Redknapp won't be the next England Manager - too much of a gamble with all this going on for them I'd reckon.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:09:52 PM by OzVilla »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal