collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by mike
[Today at 10:43:35 PM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by Steve67
[Today at 10:37:37 PM]

NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 10:32:26 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:29:10 PM]

Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:27:31 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV84
[Today at 10:24:44 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by VillaTim
[Today at 09:54:45 PM]

Ollie Watkins by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:45:04 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kosta Nedeljkovic - signed by mike
[Today at 10:43:35 PM]

Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by Steve67
[Today at 10:37:37 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 10:32:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 10:29:10 PM]

Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:27:31 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:26:36 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV84
[Today at 10:24:44 PM]

Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point? by AV84
[Today at 10:21:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier or McLeish  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Houllier or McLeish
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
Not caring?  Maybe.

But to me the easiest way out is always to do what others want/expect.  It's when you go out on a limb that history really starts to judge you.  MON did that and was judged infavourably as we didn't finish 4th, but if we had done Moscow would have been a footnote and viewed as a courageous decision. 

What it will take for Gezza to be redeemed for Wednesday I do not know, as this seaon has nothing left other than a mid-table finish, IMO
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:00:02 PM by John M »

Online luke95

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 12:54:54 PM »
Houlliers trophy wins are far more impressive than Fucking 'ecks.

McLeish has won one League cup and a load of Scottish tinpot shit.

Yes you're right  Houlliers trophy wins are more impresssive  & ironically most of them are cup wins. 

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
I don't agree with this "you can't tell him how to do his job" bollocks. I'm so fucked up, that If I couldn't spout off on the internet I might become a serial killer or start going round putting dog shit through my neighbours' doors. have you thought of that?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »
I don't agree with this "you can't tell him how to do his job" bollocks. I'm so fucked up, that If I couldn't spout off on the internet I might become a serial killer or start going round putting dog shit through my neighbours' doors. have you thought of that?

Haha, oh we can shout and moan and whinge and stave off becoming serial killers all we like. We just shouldn't complain if the manager doesn't do what we tell him to do.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 01:01:10 PM »
Or doing his job. How would you feel if he turned up where you work and started telling you how to do it? Rightly or wrongly, the decision is his to take and he took it.

i do have people turning up to my work and telling me how to do it... i take on board what they say and sometimes my designs are better for it... and sometimes i learn from their advice / comments... i am not arrogant enough to think that i know it all... although tbf, my job as a graphic designer and the job of a football manager, are worlds apart...

but one thing is for certain, if i were to design something poorly, because i didnt think that i was good enough to be able to compete for the project, then i certainly wouldnt be getting much work...

When a manager starts picking his teams with one eye on what supporters think, that's when he's in trouble.

a very valid point, and one that i would subscribe to...

however, as houlliers latest comments confirm, he did not pick his strongest team available because he did not think that the strongest 11 were good enough to beat them... he gave up before a ball was kicked, and that, is cowardly, and sends out a message to fans, players, and the whole footballing world, that we havent got the fight in us... or more accurately, as he is the one that is doing the job, he doesnt have the fight in him...

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 01:01:49 PM »

Yes you're right  Houllier's trophy wins are more impressive  & ironically most of them are cup wins. 
I keep telling my wife that when I was in my twenties I could go at it for seven hours without a break. I'd remind her again, but I won't be seeing her until tomorrow. She's off out to some student party I think.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
idiotic thread. A well decorated manager with total football ethics or an anti football jock currently having his ass saved by planting a beanpole on the 6yard line. pick up your toys, pick up picasso's and get back in your box...

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
Houllier every single time, it's like asking would you prefer a ford focus or a mercedes.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 01:14:32 PM »
idiotic thread. A well decorated manager with total football ethics or an anti football jock currently having his ass saved by planting a beanpole on the 6yard line. pick up your toys, pick up picasso's and get back in your box...

interestng debating style...

although i am not quite sure i fully follow what you actually disagree with, from what i have written, considering you have specifically mentioned me...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:16:06 PM by pablopicasso_10 »

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 01:16:53 PM »
Neither !

Out of the two, McLeish is capable of getting a team to play as a team mind.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »

interestng debating style...

although i am not quite sure i fully follow what you actually disagree with, from what i have written, considering you have specifically mentioned me...

Debating style? I will have a reasoned debate with anyone over the merits of prioritising premiership survival over a chance of a cup, or whether our strongest team would have beaten them, or even whether the team that was out there stood a reasonable chance without the awful luck of the first 5mins. I think however, that starting a poll/thread over whether we would prefer our manager or that of our sworn enemies (whose football, incidentally, has been cited as one of the main reasons for their dwindling attendances this season) in the hope that the club will take notice is both counter-productive and as previously stated, idiotic.
   I mentioned you by name, as although you are obviously a very passionate supporter you appear to be one of the main drum bangers in this witch hunt which will no doubt soon get picked up on by oliver holt and his anti villa campaign and become a main feature of the rest of our season.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »
i do find the thread a little strange, but added to initially as a little bit of fun, which is how i saw the whole thread tbh (it might be serious though, i couldnt really say)... i added to it further after my original comments were highlighted, and feel that it is proper manners to answer someone when directly speaking to me, and a little mini discussion ensued...

as for me being "one of the main drum bangers in this witch hunt", i would claim that is unfair... i have made a few comments since wednesday that voiced my displeasure over the actions taken by the manager, along with many, many others, however, today, after reading direct quotes from the manager which i think are disgraceful, which merely add to actions and comments previously made by the manager, that have convinced me that he is not the right man for the job as aston villa manager... i recognise some of the good work he has done, and have made that clear elsewhere, but i dont feel that a manager at aston villa, should surrender a match that we have every chance of winning before a ball is even kicked, because the manager does not feel that we had a chance at winning with the strongest 11 available...

i thank you for recognising my passion, and to my detriment, that can sometimes boil over in a negative manner, but i do feel very strongly about recent events, and while i am happy to listen to reason, and discuss events in the hope that others can put forward their views in a reasonable and sensible manner and maybe help me see a little clearer their point of view, i dont feel that i have "chucked toys" or that i am a "drum banger in a witch hunt" in any sense...

maybe in hindsight, the discussion should have been done elsewhere...

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »
I maybe got the impression as i saw you had started a thread on the subject as well--your name stands out and is less instantly forgettable than the usual 'jimholteender' monikers used. Either way, Giving up before a match is against the spirit of the game, granted. I am ever the optimist but I would class GH as a realist. And again, without Bent, Collins and Cuellar I honestly dont think we would have won there. Man City are unfortunately a step up from us now and we would have to be at our best to win there (or have the rub of  the green). So with a monumental effort we may have come away with a draw, had a replay to then contend with, possibly two semi final legs and a final to win the bloody thing....with only strong opposition left in the draw.
   Can you honestly say our current squad (which is currently in a state of major upheaval and transition) could have dealt with that and sustained a charge up the league/not got drawn into a relegation battle?

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
i cant honestly say either way, however i would have liked to have seen us at least attempt it...

if we lose when trying, i have no complaints...

but not trying, is unforgiveable...

Offline the-farmer

• GM : Nov, 2013
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
Neither !

Out of the two, McLeish is capable of getting a team to play as a team mind.

agreed

having said that, what could McLeish do with a good team of players with a good crowd of fans and a good stadium instead of the shite he's working with at the moment  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal