collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Old Firm  (Read 18223 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Old Firm
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/04/neil-lennon-celtic-package-post

The fallout from Wednesday's fiery Old Firm derby has taken a more sinister turn after a suspicious package addressed to the Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, was intercepted at a Royal Mail sorting office in Ayrshire.

The parcel, which is believed to have emanated from Lanarkshire and made to look like it contained an explosive device, was stopped in Saltcoats on Friday morning. It was addressed to Lennon at Celtic's stadium. The manager was accompanied by security officials as he attended Friday's training session with his squad.

A Strathclyde police spokesman said: "We can confirm we are currently investigating a suspicious package discovered at a Royal Mail sorting office in Chapelwell Street, Saltcoats. The package was examined and the incident is being treated as a hoax. Enquiries are ongoing."

Lennon missed Celtic's weekly pre-match media conference on Friday as security talks continued over the affair. It comes in the immediate aftermath of Wednesday's game, at the end of which Lennon clashed on the touchline with the Rangers assistant manager, Ally McCoist.

In January a package containing bullets and also addressed to Lennon was intercepted in Northern Ireland. A report last month claimed the 39-year-old had received a subsequent death threat from a paramilitary organisation.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
Discussion on radio 4 'any questions' at the moment.  In reply to the point about violence in the ground and on the pitch leading to a rise in arrests, fights and domestic violence following OF matches, someone on the panel has just said that it is disgraceful compared to those lovely(sic) Man City fans...

Better point (IMO) was from another contributor about asking the clubs what measures they would be taking and asking for a more effective response from 'ordinary people' than re-hashing the tired old saws about 'if you see violence on the pitch you are fired up and take it out on someone else.' 

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
...and Ally McCoist has a pop at Lennon and gets 2 matches whilst Lennon, for being abused by McCoist gets 4. Truely bizarre.
A spokesman for Rangers stated that McCoist was satisfied with the decision and doin well for a fat cowardly hun.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:04 PM »
...and Ally McCoist has a pop at Lennon and gets 2 matches whilst Lennon, for being abused by McCoist gets 4. Truely bizarre.
A spokesman for Rangers stated that McCoist was satisfied with the decision and doin well for a fat cowardly hun.
All Coisty said was leave my players alone, Lennon took offence to that. "Hun" - thats as bad as "feenian", dont get into that shite

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:34:28 PM »
I don't mind you lovejoy but that's a daft post.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
Lennon would have got a two match ban as well had he not already needed to be disciplined by the SFA this season. If you offend again you get a harsher punishment.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
He should get an additional ten for being such an ugly bastard.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
Just seems iniquitous that a guy starts a fight and the bloke who reacts gets a bigger punishment, but I suppose Lennon is an easy target. Sorry I've picked up the "Hun" parlance from an Aberdeen fans I know I think its derogatory but was unaware there was a sectarian connotation.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »
Sorry I've picked up the "Hun" parlance from an Aberdeen fans I know I think its derogatory but was unaware there was a sectarian connotation.
Where did you think it would be from?!

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »
To be fair this guy hates Rangers but never mentions religion its all to do with them being the establishment team.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »
Just seems iniquitous that a guy starts a fight and the bloke who reacts gets a bigger punishment, but I suppose Lennon is an easy target. Sorry I've picked up the "Hun" parlance from an Aberdeen fans I know I think its derogatory but was unaware there was a sectarian connotation.
All McCoist said was leave my players alone. Lennon's been goading them for weeks and he's always been a dirty little gobshite
In all fairness to your mate, if he doesn't know what that means he's living a sheltered life up there...

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
I had this arguement with a guy at a party last week, and my point is that football is more important than all that religious/racist bullshit.  The beautiful game is bigger and better than all that secterian/holocaust bollocks, frankly.  Football is bigger than any religion and if treated properly could be the best way to cross boundaries and divides. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »

As well he should.

He's a ginger.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
Aberdeen fans dislike Rangers almost as much as Celtic fans.

Most of them are still pissed off about Mark Hateley and 91.

I had this arguement with a guy at a party last week, and my point is that football is more important than all that religious/racist bullshit.  The beautiful game is bigger and better than all that secterian/holocaust bollocks, frankly.  Football is bigger than any religion and if treated properly could be the best way to cross boundaries and divides. 

I agree with you but amongst some elements in Glasgow that would be laughed at.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:09:20 PM by TheBentman »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »
Don't get the interest in the Old Firm - people having one of them as second team etc.   You would think they would be bored to death with playing each 4/5 times every year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal