collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are Man City "fans" at Eastlands the worst around?  (Read 13299 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Are Man City "fans" at Eastlands the worst around?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
The Observer

January 29, 1995, Sunday

WALSH PUTS CITY IN DREAMLAND

BYLINE: Will Buckley At Maine Road

SECTION: THE OBSERVER SPORTS PAGE; Pg. 21

LENGTH: 894 words

Manchester City1
Walsh 7

Aston Villa0

Att: 21,177

IT HAS been an above-average week for Manchester City fans. They have enjoyed a cheerful three days chuckling at the discomfiture of their local rivals and now they're in the last 16 of the Cup.

It's time to start dreaming. A nice little home draw against a moderate First Division side in the fifth round, the same again in the sixth round and wallop, they're at Wembley for the semi-final.

No such luxuries for the disconsolate Villa fans who are left contemplating, at best, a season of mid-table complacency.
Disillusioned, they overflowed on to the pitch at the end and for a moment it looked as though we might witness the old-fashioned sight of fan hitting fan. But before that could happen, the stewards quickly brought the situation under control.

The goal which won the game came very early on. Ian Brightwell had as much time as he needed to tee up and then chip a precise ball over Teale which Walsh latched on to and lashed past Bosnich.

The game immediately went quiet with the players not helped by a cloggy, energy -sapping pitch. On this surface, what was required were passes to be overhit rather than stroked around.

City, who haven't won in the League since early December, seemed surprised by how readily and easily they had taken the lead. They became nervy and fretful but Villa just couldn't manage to bully their way back into the game.

Fashanu was at the centre of most of their attacks but, surprisingly perhaps, he was actually guilty of being too unselfish, dummying and laying off when he might have shot.

After the break, Villa continued to press forward, forcing corner after corner. The majority of these were directed at centre-backs McGrath and Ehiogu but although confusion was created in the box, chances did not arise.

City at last began to believe in themselves and Gaudino, having played a wide -angled one-two with Flitcroft, shot fiercely only for Bosnich to block the ball away at the near post.

End-to-end entertainment ensued. Saunders played the ball low and hard into Fashanu, who fell over, taking a defender with him. Coton saved bravely at the feet of Taylor. Then, the impressive Gaudino and Walsh created an opportunity for Beagrie but he couldn't squeeze the ball in.

They continued to trade chances with Townsend firing just over and a snapshot from Summerbee being tipped over by Bosnich.

As a last card, Little brought on Johnson, Tommy not Ulrika, to combine with Fashanu up front. And it was he who set up Taylor only for his last-minute shot to be clawed away by Coton. Staunton rammed the rebound against the post. It was that close but City just deserved it.

That's the one. The goal was fucking MILES offside.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
I just don't like Man City anyway especially after the Barry and Milner episodes.

Offline The Villa Werewolf

• GM : 13.07.2015
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »
I remember being among hundreds of Villa fans  who had to be evacuated onto the pitch at Maine Road by stewards when their fans invaded the Villa end and started merry hell after an FA Cup game - 1995 I think.

That was after Villa fans had invaded the pitch and ran towards the Man City fans.

Perhaps then, I was only ten. Definitely had to be evacuated onto the pitch to escape the violence, though.

Offline martin

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
Not been to Eastlands but Maine Road was a shit hole in and outside. '95 in "Lawro Speak" was handbags at ten paces. Mind you, I wasn't ten at the time.

The worst around? No. Still like them for the banner and not being bothered when they let us win in '93.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal