collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Moscow or Manchester?  (Read 14076 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Moscow or Manchester?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »
I didn't agree with the Moscow decision. However, we were in with a chance of fourth place. While I don't subscribe to the theory that finishing fourth is better than winning a trophy, I do believe that finishing fourth (with the associated cash windfall) would've boosted our chances of winning a trophy or a number of trophies in the short to medium term future. I believe we could've put out a strong team there and still beaten Stoke the following week-end. However, I understand the decision. It was only the last-32 of the competition anyway... we were hardly certainties top lift the trophy if we'd won.

Tonight though... we were on our best form under the current manager. We play a team we have just beaten. whose manager is arguably under more pressure than Houllier. A team with a reputation for bottling it, whose fans would've been quick to get restless had we put up a decent fight. Victory would've given us a home tie against a Second Division team, in the Quarter-Final of a competition many Villa fans want to win more than any other. Manchester is only up the road (at least compared to Manchester). There is no chance of jet-lag on a coach...

...and we gave up. Before a ball had been kicked.

Having finally got a majority of Villa fans onside... Gerard has now potentially lost them forever. I am sick of defending him now. Somebody else can have a go. Any takers?

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Manchester one hurts more today becuase its fresh in the memories. Moscow thousands of miles away thousands of pounds and a european competition. At least there was some "senior" faces in tonight, we just surrendered..

Offline myf

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »
The twat has the gall to blame the players! I think he may have mental issues.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
I didn't agree with the Moscow decision. However, we were in with a chance of fourth place. While I don't subscribe to the theory that finishing fourth is better than winning a trophy, I do believe that finishing fourth (with the associated cash windfall) would've boosted our chances of winning a trophy or a number of trophies in the short to medium term future. I believe we could've put out a strong team there and still beaten Stoke the following week-end. However, I understand the decision. It was only the last-32 of the competition anyway... we were hardly certainties top lift the trophy if we'd won.

Tonight though... we were on our best form under the current manager. We play a team we have just beaten. whose manager is arguably under more pressure than Houllier. A team with a reputation for bottling it, whose fans would've been quick to get restless had we put up a decent fight. Victory would've given us a home tie against a Second Division team, in the Quarter-Final of a competition many Villa fans want to win more than any other. Manchester is only up the road (at least compared to Manchester). There is no chance of jet-lag on a coach...

...and we gave up. Before a ball had been kicked.

Having finally got a majority of Villa fans onside... Gerard has now potentially lost them forever. I am sick of defending him now. Somebody else can have a go. Any takers?
He will never get me on his side again... FUCK off....

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 10:48:58 PM »
Definitely tonight. I was in Moscow, but not there tonight. I hated O'Neill for his team selection over there, but we were still a long way from winning the trophy and had a decent shot at fourth at the time. Tonight, we should have fielded the stongest eleven possible, with a real chance of another Wembley appearance (or two!). Houllier has shot himself in the foot after tonights selection. He had started to win a few of the doubters over, but has now lost any credibility he had.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »
We only have TWO other games in the whole of March.

Why were we having to rest players?
Exactly:
Looking at fixtures we have two games in the next 17 days and then another 2 weeks off.

HARDLY GOING TO KNACKER THEM OUT IS IT GH!!!!!

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 10:57:07 PM »
Manchester, as others have said, at least Moscow had logic. Having said that, Moscow is further away and more expensive to get to than Manchester. If I'd travelled to Russia I'm not so sure I'd agree.

Online FatSam

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:15 PM »
Have we as a club in our history ever paid this competition such a disservice? I'm struggling to think of any previous season where we have effectively surrendered in this way before kicking a ball in the FA Cup. We have most probably played a weakened team against lower division opposition in the past, and might have lived to regret it had we been knocked out; but tonight in a game where we had to be at our best to go through we have given Citeh a bye. If tonight wasn't important, then what is? Total lack of integrity.

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »
Moscow was far worse for the hardy souls that travelled (I didn't). That cost four figures and they (Moscow) were not as good as Man City. It also took a very good season to get there in the first place. That said tonight was an mistake aswell. We played the first team last time at Eastlands and they were worse. This time GH used the FA Cup to rest certain players and give others their chance. This was not the game to do that and to do it that much.

We would have probably lost tonight if we did start with the first 11 that played against Blackburn last weekend, and that is the bigger issue for me. Right now we cannot compete with the top 5-6 sides because the squad just does not have 11 players collectively that good. GH is changing alot of things and I believe it is for the next 10 years not the next game. And while that next game always feel the most important I feel that GH and Randy are planning a blueprint to compete in the years to come.

Tonight it was a mistake. We lost. It was very unlikely that we would win with that line up. But all this talk of 'fuck, bollocks, sack im', worst thing ever, blues won a cup, shit, I hate him (hate???), DOL II' and so on just seems a little over the top for me. I am probably in a minority of one but I do like what GH is trying to do, what he is trying to change. The starting 11 was a mistake yes, but the end of the world, no.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:14:40 AM by atomicjam »

Offline TonyD

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
Moscow was far worse for the hardy souls that travelled (I didn't). That cost four figures and they (Moscow) were not as good as Man City. It also took a very good season to get there in the first place. That said tonight was an mistake aswell. We played the first team last time at Eastlands and they were worse. This time Gh used the FA Cup to rest certain players and give others their chance. This was not the game to do that and to do it that much.

We would have probably lost tonight if we did start with the first 11 that played against Blackburn last weekend, and that is the bigger issue for me. Right now we cannot compete with the top 5-6 sides because the squad just does not have 11 players collectively that good. GH is changing alot of things and I believe it is for the next 10 years not the next game. And while that next game always feel the most important I feel that GH and Randy are planning a blueprint to compete in the years to come.

Tonight it was a mistake. We lost. It was very unlikely that we would win with that line up. But all this talk of 'fuck, bollocks, sack im', worst thing ever, blues won a cup, shit, I hate him (hate???), DOL II' and so on just seems a little over the top for me. I am probably in a minority of one but I do think like what GH is trying to do, what he is trying to change. The starting 11 was a mistake yes, but the end of the world, no.

No but it is a true sign of a manager that gives up without a fight.   Not the sort of manager who is likely to "win" trophies.    I don't think any right minded Villa (or proper football fan) can defend the fact that we lost this FA Cup 5th Round match because the manager decided to pick such an unsuitable team AND formation.

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 12:21:27 AM »
Moscow was far worse for the hardy souls that travelled (I didn't). That cost four figures and they (Moscow) were not as good as Man City. It also took a very good season to get there in the first place. That said tonight was an mistake aswell. We played the first team last time at Eastlands and they were worse. This time Gh used the FA Cup to rest certain players and give others their chance. This was not the game to do that and to do it that much.

Tonight it was a mistake. We lost. It was very unlikely that we would win with that line up. But all this talk of 'fuck, bollocks, sack im', worst thing ever, blues won a cup, shit, I hate him (hate???), DOL II' and so on just seems a little over the top for me. I am probably in a minority of one but I do think like what GH is trying to do, what he is trying to change. The starting 11 was a mistake yes, but the end of the world, no.

No but it is a true sign of a manager that gives up without a fight.   Not the sort of manager who is likely to "win" trophies.    I don't think any right minded Villa (or proper football fan) can defend the fact that we lost this FA Cup 5th Round match because the manager decided to pick such an unsuitable team AND formation.

I wasnt defending it, clearly, if you read what I said. Are you saying I am not a Villa fan?

Offline wozwebs

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
He was just starting to win the fans over too. Back to square one after tonight I feel. Should have at least started one of Young and Downing. Bradley was dreadful, kept passing it to nobody or direct to a City player and don't get me started on Petrov and Heskey. What a waste.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
As someone who went to both Moscow and Manchester tonight I would tonight was utter disgrace. I fell out with O'Neill after Moscow well I want this man to be out of our club. Houllier you are an f on disgrace. I will hate you forever for not competing in the FA cup for Aston Villa.

Offline stroud green villa

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:08 AM »
I didn't agree with Moscow but I did understand - we had played a strong XI at VP and failed to win. I think if we had won that 2 0 or 3 0 O'Neill would have taken a team strong enough to hold the lead. The other thing about Moscow is that the next round was Kiev - two games in 8 days involving a 3000 mile trip over a home fixture against Spurs. With hindsight he hadn't realised the psychological damage his capitulation would cause us that season and that was a failing.
BUT Tonight the next round was Reading at home in a week and a half after a taxing trip up the M6. No comparison. Tonight we could have chucked 3 points away against Bolton and had plenty of chances - Wolves, West Ham, etc to stay up. Most open FA Cup in years and he didn't want it.
He's dead to me.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »

I wasnt defending it, clearly, if you read what I said. Are you saying I am not a Villa fan?
I am not for one minute saying you are not a Villa fan :)
But I dont expect a  manager to makes these kind of mistakes - come on tonight wasn't just a little mistake it was a major cock up - can he be trusted to not do it again?   My little girl would have picked a more suitable team.  The TV and Radio were puzzled as to why he picked such a crap team. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal