collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeS
[Today at 10:18:37 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 10:17:21 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Nev
[Today at 10:13:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:10:44 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 10:07:38 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:04:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stephen Ireland- 'my horror at Aston villa'.  (Read 25739 times)

Offline eastie

Stephen Ireland- 'my horror at Aston villa'.
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Stephen Ireland has vowed to put a nightmare 18 months behind him – and prove Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini and Aston Villa chief Gerard Houllier wrong.

The 24-year-old has gone from player of the year at City to outcast at Villa, forced to train with the youth team.

He admits the frustrations of being the forgotten man could have driven him “insane” but for his family and kids... but he is now determined to relaunch his career on Tyneside.

Ireland is in line to make his Toon debut against Everton the first step in showing Mancini and Gerard Houllier they were wrong not to give him a chance.

He was snubbed by Mancini when he took over City, despite being their best performer a couple of seasons ago, and only made 12 appearances for Villa before being loaned to Newcastle in January.

“The last 18 months have been really frustrating, especially when it’s not your fault and out of your hands," said Ireland.

“It would have been different had I played 40 games in a row or something like that, and didn’t perform, because then I would hold my hands up. But when I haven’t been given chances and game-time, then I’ve just sat around, basically doing nothing.

“After the past year and a half I’ve had, you feel like a fish out of water. It is difficult because you have to keep your confidence high. and remember what you are good at. When the chance comes you have to perform.”

Ireland feels hard done to by his departure from Eastlands, where he was a crowd favourite, and by his rejection at Villa.

“I played for four or five years at City, two years ago I had a very good season winning Player of the Year," he added.

“I wanted to come back into pre-season and kick on straight away, which is what happened initially. I played the first game and scored, and played well for five or six games under Mark Hughes.

“But then he left and things went in the opposite direction. I went to Villa and it hasn’t worked out. If I was going home to a house on my own I would go insane, but at least I’m going home to my family, the kids, which makes me smile.

“At Villa, there were times when I trained with the reserves and even the youth team, which wasn’t ideal and you just have to bite the bullet. When you don’t feel you are getting an opportunity it is difficult to take.”

Alan Pardew swooped for Ireland in January and he has spent the last five weeks recovering from injury, and is finally in the first team reckoning.

The impression I’ve got from the manager is really good," he said. “As a package – the fans, the city, the club, the players, the staff – it’s perfect here. It reminds me of what City was two or three years ago and for me, that’s good for my morale.

“I feel like I’ve been a victim of bad circumstances, but I will come through it!

“Now I have to try and get back to the level I was at a couple of years ago as quickly as I can, playing every week, scoring goals and creating them for others.”

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-loan-star-Stephen-Ireland-has-vowed-to-put-a-nightmare-18-months-behind-him-and-prove-Manchester-City-boss-Roberto-Mancini-and-Aston-Villa-chief-Gerard-Houllier-wrong-
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:19:55 AM by eastie »

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Stephen Ireland claims hes 'victim of circumstances'
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
Hard done by?

Not my fault?

Prick.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »
Poor little lamb, he tried so hard to make his time here a success, my heart bleeds for him.

Offline Wayne Crutchley

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
He's as mad as a box of frogs and the sooner he's of the wage bill the better.

Offline Merv

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
He might well have a point, but he's really just got to start playing, and playing well, again. Then we'll see what the future holds for him.

Considering he was injured or ill on three or four separate occasions for us, 12 appearances in half a season's not too bad.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »
Piss off Ireland, he'll be playing in the MLS or Qatar this time next year, and none of it will be his fault.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
Moderators:

Can we merge this thread with the one about Gary Hart blaming `fate' for that train crash?

thanks

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »
You mean that Ireland just spends his nights wanking?

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
He always seemed wanked-out and on the verge of sleep whenever he was in a Villa shirt

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
He's hardly going to admit he's the twisted brainwrong of a oneoff manmental, is he?

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
He thinks Alan Pardew is a good manager, one really doesn't need to look any further than that...

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
“It would have been different had I played 40 games in a row or something like that, and didn’t perform, because then I would hold my hands up. But when I haven’t been given chances and game-time, then I’ve just sat around, basically doing nothing.
As picked up by Mediawatch - Number of games played by Ireland over last 18 months: 40.

Edit: Ah, in a row.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
“After the past year and a half I’ve had, you feel like a fish out of water. It is difficult because you have to keep your confidence high. and remember what you are good at. When the chance comes you have to perform.”

The important bit is here, he's exactly right, the problem is, when the chances came at Villa he acted like a sulky child and wandered around the pitch offering nothing positive to the team.

If I saw a quote like this from someone like Bannan who has done great when he's played but then disappeared for a few weeks I'd be fine with it but 12 games is enough time to show that you've got the desire to succeed, even if it doesn't come off for you, no Villa fan (or more importantly villa coach) has seen that desire in his time at the club.  If you were bothered and interested no club in the world would pay you £60k+ a week to train with the kids.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 07:21:23 PM »
He goes wherever destiny calls.
He's caught in a game of chance.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 07:22:42 PM »
Don't cry or winge, just show us and prove us wrong as we will be delighted to have a fired up, hungry player called Stephen Ireland performing for us. He got the skills but not other things.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal