collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 01:49:22 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier - 'Never had a team that gave up so easily'  (Read 11201 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Houllier - 'Never had a team that gave up so easily'
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:52:38 PM »
Some interesting stuff from GH.

He's spot on with the bolded bits, too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/01/gerard-houllier-fa-cup-aston-villa

Gérard Houllier takes Aston Villa to Manchester City in the FA Cup on Wednesday night admitting that his last visit to Eastlands represented his lowest point since he took up managing 38 years ago. Villa suffered a thumping 4-0 defeat against Roberto Mancini's side in December that left them one point above the relegation zone and prompted Houllier to comment that he had "never had a team that has given up so easily".

Villa have recovered since that chastening result, winning five of their next 11 matches, including a 1-0 victory over City at home in January, to pull clear of the bottom three and reach the FA Cup fifth round. "I knew I could turn things around, because I had the faith of the chairman [Randy Lerner] and the CEO [Paul Faulkner]," the Villa manager said. "It was just that I was too soft in trusting players too long, that is probably what happened."

Asked specifically about the 4-0 defeat at City, Houllier said: "The low point of my career. I never in my life, never, had a team that has given up so quickly. I told you several times, we hit rock bottom there. We sprung up after that. We lost twice: Sunderland, when we were down to 10 men, and Manchester United away, but [Old Trafford] was a good game."

Houllier sees genuine signs that things are coming together. "We have improved physically and mentally. We have improved as a team. The squad lives together better. They realise it is not just 11 players and the rest. We have quality everywhere. We also improved the ball retention. The [4-1] win against Blackburn [on Saturday], the skill – don't get me wrong, we haven't reached it yet, but that sort of game has to be repeated on a consistent basis."

The £18m club-record signing of Darren Bent in January has helped Houllier's cause although it remains to be seen how many similar acquisitions will be made in the years to come. Villa's latest financial results revealed the club made a £37.5m loss last year and that wages had increased to £79.9m, which represents an unhealthy 88% of turnover. "We have to be careful like any other business that we don't slip into a crisis. You can feel it," Houllier said.

Lerner's continued financial commitment should prevent that from happening but there is also likely to be a change in strategy and a greater emphasis on bringing through home-grown talent in the future. "We are lucky because we have a good crop of players coming through behind these," Houllier said. "You have to find a balance between youth and experience. You need experience and talent and the chairman and chief executive know that."
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:38:07 AM by Legion »

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Houllier - 'Never had a team that gave up so easiy'
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:59:12 PM »
Good to see he recognises the horror of that result, it's the arrogance and pig-headedness of some bosses that drives you up the wall.

Whatever the result tomorrow night, we will put up a fight. And thats the minmum required.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
I don't really need to be reminded of the slough of despond that that 4-0 defeat cast me into.  Simply being back at Eastlands tomorrow will be enough to bring it all back.

Really need a good performance to banish those memories.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
It was a terrible low point. Bloody hell. Though on balance I actually think Sunderland was worse.

Offline peter w

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:23:20 PM »
Sunderland certainly let miss inasmuch there was so much optimism and belief going into the game. Man City just had a horrible air of an already relegated team to it.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:30 PM »
All good things.

Less Man Citeh, Liverpool and Sunderland- type results and more performances like Sat and he'll get plenty of people on board.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »
Aw bless. GH is starting to feel really at home. I've only ever been used to under achievement from the Villa, with rare exceptions.  Now that the inept SHA has its 1st ever trophy, anything less than frenetic ambition from the Villa mercenaries will induce ultimate frustration.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »
The Sunderland result was frustrating rather than soul destroying. The facts of the game against Sunderland were that the sending off changed it completely, their goal came from the only shot they had from a guy who before then had never scored, and Heskey missed 2 sitters that I would imagine still haunt him today. It was a poor game yes, but no worse than some of the go awful home games the season before, and one that had Heskey scored in the first half, would have probably ended in a tight and scrappy win.

Offline luke25

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:40 AM »
It was the lowest point I'd felt with Villa since Doncaster, mind you my other three visits to City have all been woeful, fifth time lucky tonite

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:56 AM »
I like what I'm hearing and it's now making me wonder whether his comments about the game being lost once 2-0 down at Liverpool (which boiled my piss at the time) were a reflection on him or if he knew the team had no heart.

Offline Jimbo

Re: Houllier - 'Never had a team that gave up so easily'
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:46:46 AM »
I wish I'd never seen a Villa team that gave up so easily. Sadly, I've lost count of the times I've seen us give up without so much as a whimper. Let's hope Houllier can change all that, starting tonight.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
He is getting the hang of being one of us and its good to hear.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »

I've always said there's something different about us as a club. How many former players and managers, with no previous connections to the club, go on to become unashamed fans of us (especially on the pundit circuit)? I know many clubs have this, but none to quite the same extent as the Villa.

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:43:47 AM »

I've always said there's something different about us as a club. How many former players and managers, with no previous connections to the club, go on to become unashamed fans of us (especially on the pundit circuit)? I know many clubs have this, but none to quite the same extent as the Villa.
The bindippers have cornered the Market in this area

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
I like what I'm hearing and it's now making me wonder whether his comments about the game being lost once 2-0 down at Liverpool (which boiled my piss at the time) were a reflection on him or if he knew the team had no heart.

That is very perceptive.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal