collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Erm, not Sure  (Read 6694 times)

Offline peter w

Erm, not Sure
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
So let's imagine you've just landed yourself with £10m. Which club would you invest in? You've taken care of your family and whatever else you want the money for and have 10m left so this is for those who want to invest in a club.

Would you go to the bottom of the pyramid and build up a club? And a ground gert some decent players in and try and work your way up?

I've always fancied pumping in a couple of million to a Shrewsbury, a Hereford, Lincoln city maybe. It would have to be a midlands club. But now I'd pay off some clubs tax bills and pump some money into maybe Accrington or Stockport. I wouldn't expect to be able to bankroll the club so it would be just to clear debts and hopefully get the manager to buy one or two decent additions.

the only input I'd want is that I'd want and sit with the manager just to get his plan for the squad/team and how much money he thinks he'd need for the next level. Obviously wary of getting a martin O'Neill type. It may also be wise to put money into a club with a manager who seems good but just hasn't had a chance at a level with a little bit of money to spend.

So, who would you invest in? Why? And what would be the denouement?

Offline jembob

Re: Erm, not Sure
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »
£10M is nowhere near enough to really make a difference - I know it might be to Kidderminster Harriers though. If you are talking about an investment then a football club is a bad place to put money. If you can afford to lose money on a club, it should only be a team that you have a passion for so for me it would be Villa.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
Give about 5 Million to Plymouth to help them out. Then I'd probably donate it to a small local club; for me Stratford Town, I'd send them a nice 3 Million.

Then the remaining £2 million I'd probably just give to Villa in exchange for lowering ticket prices ;)

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »
I'd invest in Birmingham, then vote to liquidate the club.

Offline Tezmond

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
Option 1: 10m probably not quite enough, but I'd be shrewd and follow Mandaric's nose and put cash into Wednesday. Huge potential if managed properly, proper ground etc. Mandaric has profitted wherever he's gone and flogged on at the right time (if being a hradnosed investor).

My option 2 would be to build a club up from the ground in South Brum - a good 8 miles from the other 3 clubs, 2 buses to get to and from their grounds too. Cute little ground plonked near to Longbridge station. Decent ticket prices to attract disaffected supporters / people unable/unwilling to pay £40 per pop.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:54 PM »
Killinghall Nomads. I'd buy them the land needed for thir own ground, new kits, the works and then pay people handsomely to ritually humiliate ever single day the bullying arsehole that picked on my son.

Offline wombat

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
Stourbridge Town FC.. Get the War Memorial Ground to to scratch (maybe shift the cricket club). Sort out the old bar that no longer has a roof. Then lead an attack on the conference! I'd also rib Gary Hackett about when he had an Arsenal esque carling cup error to gift me the winner in a game of 5-a-side a few years back!

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »
Stourbridge Town FC.. Get the War Memorial Ground to to scratch (maybe shift the cricket club). Sort out the old bar that no longer has a roof. Then lead an attack on the conference! I'd also rib Gary Hackett about when he had an Arsenal esque carling cup error to gift me the winner in a game of 5-a-side a few years back!

A pedant writes:

Do they have any connection to Stourbridge FC?

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Frankly, if I had any sort of money, the last place I'd invest it is in a football club.

The old adage that the way to become a millionaire football club owner is by starting off as a billionaire is all too true.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:43:50 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »
So let's imagine you've just landed yourself with £10m. Which club would you invest in? You've taken care of your family and whatever else you want the money for and have 10m left so this is for those who want to invest in a club.

Would you go to the bottom of the pyramid and build up a club? And a ground gert some decent players in and try and work your way up?

I've always fancied pumping in a couple of million to a Shrewsbury, a Hereford, Lincoln city maybe. It would have to be a midlands club. But now I'd pay off some clubs tax bills and pump some money into maybe Accrington or Stockport. I wouldn't expect to be able to bankroll the club so it would be just to clear debts and hopefully get the manager to buy one or two decent additions.

the only input I'd want is that I'd want and sit with the manager just to get his plan for the squad/team and how much money he thinks he'd need for the next level. Obviously wary of getting a martin O'Neill type. It may also be wise to put money into a club with a manager who seems good but just hasn't had a chance at a level with a little bit of money to spend.

So, who would you invest in? Why? And what would be the denouement?

An O'Neill-type might actually be a good choice for that level, a blinkered autocrat who gets average>below average players firing and motivated, and punching above their weight.  Tactics aren't so crucial that far down the ladder.  The man himself made his name dragging Wycombe through the divsions, let's not forget.

For me I'd split it, £5 million to Tamworth (maybe even Mile Oak if that's not to ambitious) and attempt to crack the lower divisions and £5 million to Sligo Rovers in Ireland, as I spend a good chunk of the year close to there. They've played in major European competitions, which is ridiculous when you consider the standard of LOI football + they've had some decent players over the years; Dixie Dean, Paul McGee, Colin Cameron and most recently Seamus Coleman. Ex Cameroon international Joseph N'do currently turns out for them.  Lawrie Sanchez and Steve Cotterill both had spells managing there mid 90's, and ex Wolves midfielder currently manages them. But we won't hold that against them.

The focus would be to keep on doing what they're doing now, focusing on youth and bringing young talented players through. The extra £ would go on sourcing talent from a wider area, ideally selling at profit to keep the thing ticking over.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »
Erdington AFC of the Sutton & District League, who would suddenly find themselves playing in the brand new Stade De Holly Lane and probably Midland Comb.

The implimentation of my visionary training methods and club ethos would shake football to it's roots, the fairytale completed with promotion to the Football League via a Conference play off win in 2018-19 against Birmingham City.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
Before I read the thread I had no idea what this would be about, given the title.

I'm much wiser now.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 08:24:43 PM »
Id invest in my local team Evesham United. I spoke to their manager and he told me how difficult it was to attract anyone to their club cus they can't afford the wages like other teams in leagues below them! They also have a new ground nearly built but cant afford the rest of it. This and i used to play for the kids sides!
It would only need 2 mil to turn it into a much better club, the rest of the money id keep!

Offline ChrissyPrice

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »
Worcester City. Build them up to high conference/steady league 2 standard. Keep them at the present "atmospheric" ground and look surprised when the rest of the board suddenly decide to name a stand after me.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
Erm

Im not sure, I think I'd like to start my own club, No idea where im gonna get a ground from either?

I'd manage in my own stuart Pearce Style kicking every football and generally shouting a lot :)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal