collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Knuckledragger responses this week  (Read 17416 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Re: Knuckledragger responses this week
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:37 AM »
The best approach is honesty.

'You played well and deserved it.'

It also shows dignity, because if the roles were reversed, they wouldn't give us any credit at all.

They battled well and got the rub of the green but their game plan was all about negativity and spoiling the opposition and hoping to nick something at a srt piece, it's the sort of football Allardyce has made a career out of. It was the only chance they had against a far superior team so I don't blame them for doing it but to me that's not "playing well".

They played well as in they nulified Arsenal and wore them down.
They did their job well and were very disciplined. So for me they played well (within their capabilities)
It's anti-football, but they won the trophy.

It's not a world away from how we played under MON, but we won fuck all under him.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2011, 10:27:39 AM »
I congratulated one this morning and after initial chat about the game.The" City is ours" and "We are the top team in the Midlands " comments arrived to which my reply was " If ManU won nothing and Man City won the Europa this season would you consider the city of Manchester theirs based on past achievements.......silence..

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
I congratulated one this morning and after initial chat about the game.The" City is ours" and "We are the top team in the Midlands " comments arrived to which my reply was " If ManU won nothing and Man City won the Europa this season would you consider the city of Manchester theirs based on past achievements.......silence..

Difference being we haven't won a trophy for over 15 years - and that was the League cup. We haven't won anything bigger than the League Cup now for nearly 30 years. A small part of me was glad they won. Praying that Blose don't win the League Cup is depressing. I'd rather be in a position where I could give them a patronising smile and congratulate them on winning a trophy at last, while we compete for the big prizes. The only way to make up for it this season is to win the FA cup - unfortunately they even have a better chance of doing that.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »
I can't feel angry about it.  I know too many noses to not feel a little bit happy for them.  I'm also quite happy for McLeish... a decent person and good manager.  I wonder how Sullivan, Gold and Brady are feeling...sick to their stomachs I hope.

That said, I know as soon as the dust settles that the bollocks will start as they  all revert to type. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »
I can't feel angry about it.  I know too many noses to not feel a little bit happy for them.  I'm also quite happy for McLeish... a decent person and good manager.  I wonder how Sullivan, Gold and Brady are feeling...sick to their stomachs I hope.

That said, I know as soon as the dust settles that the bollocks will start as they  all revert to type. 

Not all of them I hope for your sake.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
What annoys me is that until this season Arsenal were our rivals on the pitch, with us beating them at time as well. Chasing 4th spot, getting into Europe and all that stuff. We shouldn't be overly concerned with what Blues do.

The final was almost a carbon copies of last years up to a point too. Dodgy early decision, underdogs take the lead and then get pegged back.

The difference occurred where Manu could bring on Rooney to change the game, whereas Arsenal's version Fabregas was injured. I doubt they would have lost had he been fit.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »

Not all of them I hope for your sake.

10.30pm Wednesday should be quite telling.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 12:09:03 PM »
The only one I've met today just said "Thank fuck for that, I thought we'd never win a trophy in my lifetime!"

He's a ST holder and goes to most away games as well so it was only right to shake his hand. I did say that I still hope they go down though.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Blues
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »
I have been fairly reasonable about it. Couldn't resist one little dig. "it's nice to see Birmingham's second team do well. Aston Villa Reserves are top of their division".

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
this is the funniest thing i have seen regarding it...

Quote from: 'Destruction'
Back in November a small handful of people including myself observed from afar a change happening at St Andrews. Some mocked and scoffed, more interested in discussing the fantasty ideas of City overtaking United or Spurs overcoming Arsenal. Birmingham over Villa? Not in my lifetime they claimed. Well I'm not here to talk about Villa today. Yes we could argue all day over the decision to spend 18mil on a single player in the hope he doesn't suffer injury and will therefore help pull his side away from the relegation zone, and some would rightly claim it's obscene and extremely short-termist that will only lead to bigger problems further down the line, but today is about Birmingham City.

For a long time they have had to deal with spells outside the top flight, and then when in it simply scrapping for survival year on year, sometimes successfully, somestimes not. Yet as mentioned above, it was hard not to notice that THIS Birmingham City was different. Under new ownership (seeing Carson Yeung celebrate yesterday was enough to move even the toughest of us) with a hugely underrated manager and his squad that grows in quality with every passing transfer window, yes THIS Birmingham City is very different.

Lest we forget, yesterday's historic victory (the first trophy to arrive in the city for over 15 years now) was done so without the man mountain Scott Dann, picked up for peanuts by Mcleish, or without David Bentley who has been one of the stand out players in the Prem in February, or having Roger Johnson play the last half hour with a "pulled calf", yet they came away as winners. And this was no fluke. Yes the winner was fortunate, but Birmigham more than deserved the victory over 90 minutes.

So not only do they have a major trophy to celebrate, they have the prospect of trips to Madrid, Rome, Paris, Lisbon and Minsk to play in Europe next year, and I tell you something, if Roy Hodgson can get to the final, then Alex McLeish and THIS Birmingham City bloody can too. There will be no "concentrating on the league" and fielding weakened teams to deliberately exit the competition early because the manager feels his team isn't good enough to compete on two fronts, Birmingham will give their all as they represent their city and country abroad and yeah they may not win it, but they'll give their fans a hell of an adventure either way. Not to mention the extra revenue and kudos playing in Europe will bring, allowing them to build stronger again. The positives are endless.

The giant has finally woken from his slumber, congratulations Birmingham City.

and that comes from a preston fan.. a preston fan with an anti villa agenda after i showed him up to be a clueless pillock, i might add...

fookin hilarious though...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
Even the papers dont bother with the 'sleeping giant' guff anymore.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 12:49:32 PM »
I have been fairly reasonable about it. Couldn't resist one little dig. "it's nice to see Birmingham's second team do well. Aston Villa Reserves are top of their division".

Be gracious. Our academy team is pretty good too.

Offline peter w

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
I didn't watch it but turned over to see them go 1 up. Turned over later and it was 1-1. Then saw via i-pod that they'd won it. The thing was that i didn't feel nearly as bad as I thought I would. It was more of an irritated tut - sort of when you're bugged by a fly for 5 seconds. maybe its because I don't live in Birmingham anymore, maybe its because Villa had won, and handsomely, that I didn't mind their 5 minutes in the sun. |Whatever it was I wanted to text my Nose mate and say well done - but more because that wou;d have wound him up more than if I'd have come out with some 'you're still shit' type truisms.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
When one arrived back to the hotel from Wembley his words to me were 'I bet you're gutted'.

Me 'No, not at all.  The best team on the day won.  Congratulations.'

He just stood there with his mouth open.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
In response to a text last night asking if i'd had a good day I replied i'd had a fantastic day and for such a thrilling game to have such an unexpected result decided at the very end made it even better, can't believe England managed a tie against India.

He was a bit pissed off as he had avoided the cricket score and was looking forward to watching the highlights.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal