collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:27 PM]

FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:52:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by FrankyH
[Today at 01:36:04 PM]

Jhon Durán - signed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:35:03 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:31:23 PM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 01:09:20 PM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by LeeB
[Today at 11:43:54 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:27 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:52:37 PM]

Re: FFP by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 01:37:48 PM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:37:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Simon Page
[Today at 01:36:57 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by FrankyH
[Today at 01:36:04 PM]

Re: Jhon Durán - signed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:35:03 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:31:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Knuckledragger responses this week  (Read 17419 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Knuckledragger responses this week
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
I have to say I've been horribly forgiving. In fact in response to a fawning article on the Guardian today I wrote this (admittedly written to wind up all the Gooners that were on line):

It's difficult to say it, but well done to our Bluenose neighbours. Why such magnanimity?
- Arsene is a sententious, condescending twit whose sides - for all their flair - seem to lack the necessary steel to deliver. I object strongly to his theory that there is only one possible way of playing the beautiful game (I refer to his comments whenever Arse play the Stokies) and his sneering derision of teams who dare to set up against his beloved Arse teams is offensive.
- I simply do not believe that football fans can subscribe - as some above have - to the the notion that "it's all about the style". It may be be convenient in defeat to lean on this as a psychological crutch, but all the football fans I've ever met seek substance as well as style.
- Arsenal - the media darlings - have been put in the their place; an also-ran along with the other 15-16 or so teams not deserving, as a right, to be in the elite of the Premiership.

The Premiership is what it is partially because of its diversity, particularly in the managerial role. So, McCleish, Pulis, Moyes et al: rock on!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 08:41:45 AM by EffDee »

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »
Maybe the answer is to say nothing, just smile and wave five fingers at them.

They'll only wave 6 fingers back ...

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 08:44:42 AM »
I've got no problem saying congratulations. It's rare that there is anything to give them any respect for.
Anyway, some of my in laws and a few friends that 'kind of' follow them are happy so I'm pleased for them at least.
After watching the cricket (what a game) I went round to the old man in laws to face him and say congratulations. He had some mates around to watch it, he offered me a drink, it was all very civilised. How it should be.

Of course, we're going to win the FA cup this year so just hang in there a few months. ;)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »
I will re-post here  comments I made yesterday:

I am OK with this win for them. I hate it when skyteams turn up and win the cups every year. We had the chance twice last year to do what they have done and we blew it. Yes luck was part of it but if you stay in the game something turns up.

Of course you all realise that history has changed for ever. They have won a cup at Wembley and qualified for Europe. They have put right many years of hurt and we may as well get used to it. The bar is raised for us now to win something very soon.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
If you get to a point in your life when a victory for Birmingham feels like a loss for the Villa, then you can start to understand the knuckledragger mentality.

I think that some of them will be celebrating yesterday with the image of our scoreline on Saturday like a black cloud on the proceedings making the big blue vein in their head throb. Blose fans have spent so many years celebrating Villa defeats rather than their own victories that they probably don't know what to do at this stage.

They won the cup and fair play to them, but we are the Villa and we will always rise above it. I've congratulated my mates who've followed them for years even though it made me feel bilious. There's something to be said for being magnanimous in these situations.

Especially when we win the FA Cup this year.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »
If you get to a point in your life when a victory for Birmingham feels like a loss for the Villa, then you can start to understand the knuckledragger mentality.

At worst, it was like being 1-0 up at Stoke, and Stoke equalising. It was not like watching my house burn down.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 09:21:53 AM »
Blues won something far greater than the Carling Cup yesterday. They won respect, something their fans have craved for throughout my lifetime but never warranted. Their trophy-less history made them easy to put down, deride and dismiss, especially compared to the contrast with our own glorious achievements. The bar has been raised and we should treat their success as an increased motivation to experience the glory days again ourselves. Be magnanimous and acknowlege to your Nose mates they have achieved something special. Who knows, yesterdays result may drain them of all the bitterness they've been consumed by for all these years and lead to a more healthy local rivalry.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 09:24:52 AM »
Had an email from a bluenose who works in our Birmingham office, giving us tips on getting in to Europe next season via Easyjet.

He's a really nice bloke (face like he's dismantled several of Percy's pallets using his forehead, but hey none of us is perfect), and I don't hate the club or their supporters. Just wish they'd disappear quietly into the Rymans...

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
I work with one and he came in with a huge smile on his face.  But fair enough he's a ST holder and has gone through the 'years of hurt' so I'm glad he had a good day out. 

I text a few of them last night and said "Well done - Blues deserved it in the end!"  I'm OK with them winning it, what I won't be OK with is them using it as a hammer to try and bash us over the head.  Why can't they just be happy for themselves as opposed to concentrating on who it compares them to the Villa?   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:30:00 AM by John M »

Offline dazzyg

• I ❤ Alex McLeish
Small Heath Scum
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Not sure if any of you watched a documentary yesterday (Sunday 27th February) about "special needs " it focused on people who travelled to London in large masses (more than they usually take to other venues when they go out on trips) the programme then showed people with painted faces who mostly looked stupid (a bit like care in the community people when they have been taken out for the first time in a long while) the next scene that we saw was when they "panned" the camera around to these people once their association had scored a goal they looked a bit like people who had taken their first steps as a child.

Towards the end of the programme a member of the team (who doesn't actually play for the club but he had been invited on as he could play a bit better than the other 10 people) then put a round object into a large net which was in front of him (he could not miss it was that easy)

We now find that these people are to be taken on a trip into Europe at a late date I can only hope that these people are not let loose to far into Europe as we know from past experiences when people "of a simple mind" are taken on holiday they usually at times act stupid and give us English a rather bad name while on other shores.

Let's just hope that these "people" have got up to date passports as I prsume there will be alot of border control/drig enforcement officers ready to pounce to bring them back to England.

Name withheld
I support a team with a large trophy cabinet which contains several cups including League Cups, League Titles (oh yes) almost forgot a European Cup .

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:36 AM »
Not sure if any of you watched a documentary yesterday (Sunday 27th February) about "special needs " it focused on people who travelled to London in large masses (more than they usually take to other venues when they go out on trips) the programme then showed people with painted faces who mostly looked stupid (a bit like care in the community people when they have been taken out for the first time in a long while) the next scene that we saw was when they "panned" the camera around to these people once their association had scored a goal they looked a bit like people who had taken their first steps as a child.

Towards the end of the programme a member of the team (who doesn't actually play for the club but he had been invited on as he could play a bit better than the other 10 people) then put a round object into a large net which was in front of him (he could not miss it was that easy)

We now find that these people are to be taken on a trip into Europe at a late date I can only hope that these people are not let loose to far into Europe as we know from past experiences when people "of a simple mind" are taken on holiday they usually at times act stupid and give us English a rather bad name while on other shores.

Let's just hope that these "people" have got up to date passports as I prsume there will be alot of border control/drig enforcement officers ready to pounce to bring them back to England.

Name withheld
I support a team with a large trophy cabinet which contains several cups including League Cups, League Titles (oh yes) almost forgot a European Cup .

Each to their own, Daz, but I found most of this post a little distasteful. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Offline philthebar

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
First response at the final whistle was utter dismay. Calmed down 5 minutes later and sent my bluenose friend a message of congratulations.  Fair play to them. 

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
The best approach is honesty.

'You played well and deserved it.'

It also shows dignity, because if the roles were reversed, they wouldn't give us any credit at all.

They battled well and got the rub of the green but their game plan was all about negativity and spoiling the opposition and hoping to nick something at a srt piece, it's the sort of football Allardyce has made a career out of. It was the only chance they had against a far superior team so I don't blame them for doing it but to me that's not "playing well".

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »
To me the phrase 'playing well' isn't just about free flowing football and expansive play.  Defending and working hard is also a part of the game and that they did very well.  #

So to me they did play well within the game plan the manager drew up for them, which was the right one for them to win the game against a better footballing side.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »
i have congratulated them and not had any grief as of yet... they won a trophy, so fair play to them for that...

we have done it many times in the past, and to do anything other than congratulate them and acknowledge their achievement, belittles our own vast array of achievements and drags us down to a sub level of football fan...

in fact, i have had more grief of devon and brummy reds than the small heathens...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal