collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Liverpool by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:08:34 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by sid1964
[Today at 11:06:34 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by DeKuip
[Today at 11:05:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 11:05:09 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:05:07 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by darren woolley
[Today at 10:50:14 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:33:06 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by JD
[Today at 09:58:11 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much we must give credit to the manager for the improvements of the team?  (Read 14780 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
I said on the post match thread that the pass from Delph was Sidesque and that's about the highest praise I coud give. Fifty yards, outside of the foot curled into Albrighton's path. He could be something very special.

He has that in his locker Chris and  he can take players on and beat them. Ridiculous talent.

As for GH, just like the opening poster he wasn't/ isn't my cup of tea. Unlike the OP, I'm not sure team spirit is his forte. We're still prone to conceding late goals and look like we can be 'got at' when up against it. Those kind of things for me tend to be a decent barometer of team spirit, if such a thing can even be quantified.

We are seeing a bit more organisation of late, and bright passing and inter changing of positions on occasion.  He also did in four months what MON failed to do in four years - sign a goalscorer.

If we're going to criticise him when he gets it wrong, it's only fair to praise him when he gets it right. Rather than suggesting any good results or improvement have happened in spite of him.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
The Jury is still out for me, if the performance against BBurn is indicative of the future then fine. But like KG I am concerned at the aparent soft centre and also with his facination with playing players in the wrong positions, you can sometimes get away with it but it gets found out too often.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Fine as a snapshot and shows our improvement, but I was thinking of viewing it to the end of the season and seeing how it then stands up to the pace we would need to get 6th or better.

So what you actually want is for us to have a mini slump somewhere between now and the end of the season so you can point it out and say "I told you so"?
Now Hotlips can pick from a full squad and the players are more used to his style and tactics we have improved, both in the way we play the game and in the results we are getting, if you don't want to give him any credit then fine, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Sorry, but where have I said that or even suggested it?

I'm happy we've picked up and look forward to seeing it continue.  I do however do so cautiously as it's only over a limited number of games and putting 4 past a poor Blackburn side does not illustrate we've overcome our issues with being hard to beat.  As I said earlier in that regard the Blackpool game did as much to tell me we're improving as Saturday did.

Try addressing the points I raise instead of putting words into my mouth, especially when you're accusing me of wanting our team to lose!   

Offline hawkeye

I think the Citeh game will be a sign of how far we have come or of just another false dawn

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
I think nothing can be judged on a cup game hawkeye. The consistency of results from now until the final game in the league will be the key. If we perform in the way we did against Blackburn, then the run in could be very interesting, culminating in a play off for 6th against Liverpool - I fear we will be more up and down and be around where we are now come may. 3-4 players in the summer of GH's chosing though and we will be flying next season.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Ye think the City game will measure exactly where we are right now. And them having a weakened side will see if we have the mental strength and desire ......

Offline hawkeye

My point is that there have been a number of occaisions this season when a big game has come up and we have  failed to deliver. The pre christmas excuses have run out now, he has  a pretty full squad to choose from, confidence should be high after the BBurn game, Citeh are in a tricky situation. If thier players turn up and we get outclassed fair enough, but we should be able to give them a real game, for me this is a real test of GH credentials

Offline eastie

I don't think he's so much playing players deliberately out of position as assessing his squad and seeing what players are capable of playing in what roles, some have adapted more than others and he now probably has a good idea of all his playing staff and their capabilities and what he needs for the future and who he can do without.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal