collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much we must give credit to the manager for the improvements of the team?  (Read 14782 times)

Offline sfx412

As we do not know how hard it was to turn the dressing room onto his side, I'd say he's generally improved things beyond belief, but he's far from solved the problem.
He's addressed plenty of them, but looking at yesterdays side, there will still plenty of make do options in there and our consistency needs sorting, as does the number of goals we keep conceding.
Not too sure even now whether he's my man for the job, but he's growing on me.

Offline MoetVillan

I think we do give him some credit for much improved performances, as equally we have to question the slump after the 2 2 game against United.  I still feel uncomfortable with Pires playing, slower feet and slow decisions for about fifteen minutes was worrying.  But I am pleased with the increased rotations, the use of more of our upcoming young players and the superb development of Downing.  I think its onwards and upwards, and a matter of time until we start hearing his name sung.  When they scored their goal (Clean sheet, where the fuck are you), we responded instantly and even had some champagne football flicks at the end, I think he deserved the plaudits. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
I think we do give him some credit for much improved performances, as equally we have to question the slump after the 2 2 game against United.  I still feel uncomfortable with Pires playing, slower feet and slow decisions for about fifteen minutes was worrying.  But I am pleased with the increased rotations, the use of more of our upcoming young players and the superb development of Downing.  I think its onwards and upwards, and a matter of time until we start hearing his name sung.  When they scored their goal (Clean sheet, where the fuck are you), we responded instantly and even had some champagne football flicks at the end, I think he deserved the plaudits. 

When i saw Pires was starting, I thought "Oh, Christ", but I thought he was our best player for long spells.

That Blackburn midfield was pretty much devoid of any pace, though, so I wonder if GH thought Pires would do well in that mix, as his total lack of pace wouldn't be punished. I'd like to think he did, as it worked out.

Offline sfx412

Must admit Pires made his and Houlliers detractors weep, but I thought Young stood out overall, he seemed to have gained a maturity previously lacking.
I also thought, albeit against a poorer side, that his makeshift defence did well enough considering, thanks in some part to good saves from Friedel  and only a few errors from Dunne. Thing is long term much of the team selection looks to me like he is papering over the cracks. Dare I say the lack of talent because of the previous manager is the main cause of the problems even now.

No I thought not :)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
We've got good young players in most of the positions, how is that papering over the cracks?

Or was that comment made as you seem contractually obliged to mention O'Neill in every post.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Strange that the 'lack of talent' is reflected by the fact the player you think 'stood out overall' was a MON signing!

Seriously though, I do not and never have seen a lack of talent in the squad, just a slowness for Gezza to get his message across and them playing the way he wants.  If anything he's showing there was more talent than we thought by rotating and giving the kids more games, which is something MON did not do.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Strange that the 'lack of talent' is reflected by the fact the player you think 'stood out overall' was a MON signing!

Beat me to it even though I thought Downing (another MON signing) was the star performer, followed closely by NRC (another MON signing). The MON signed goalkeeper.. Friedel had very little to do as he was well protected by the back to his best Dunne (another MON signing).  The cameo performance of the day was (another MON signing and much derided signing by some) Delph.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
The fact that MON walked out giving the new manager only January to get players in it really only takes a few brain cells to work it out that most players were bought by MON, the difference could be that he never played some of them.

Offline sfx412

Sorry if you Mon fans misunderstood,but I didn't say Mon never bought decent players and Young and Downing certainly fit the bill,
My apologies for mentioning Mon again too, I appreciate its not the done thing, if it was DOL's purchases I'm sure as back then there would be little reaction other than complete agreement.
Thing is if you think Walker, a great move, is a long term deal fine I don't. If you think Delph was bought as a left back again fine, I don't even if I wish he would be in June, and despite Friedel amazingly decent form, he's no long term answer as I'm sure many feel Dunne is not.
As much as I like Clarke, I'm sure Cahill, even Ridgewell would have been as good or better an option, had they still been with us, and as the question asked how well Houllier was doing I used the lack of cover as a reason to suggest he was doing better than many wanted. I'd go as far to say we'd probably be much higher up the table too, if he had, as the early season form when the kids did so well, would have gone better
Still as I said I shouldn't mention Mon and certainly not apportion blame but Houllier has taken on a hard task and is manfully doing a half decent job, thanks in some respect to the help of players like Coker another Mon purchase and some great performances from the likes of Albrighton, Bent, Walker, and co, but his job would have been much easier had Mon bought more depth than the likes of Beye, Warnock, Carew, and such.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
The fact that MON walked out giving the new manager only January to get players in it really only takes a few brain cells to work it out that most players were bought by MON, the difference could be that he never played some of them.

It's a reply to the remark about the lack of talent because of the previous manager and in particular the slating that was given on what seemed like a daily basis to the signing of Delph.  I'm not a MON apologist but credit where credit is due, he did sign some very good players and one very good prospect. 

Offline sfx412

We've got good young players in most of the positions, how is that papering over the cracks?

Or was that comment made as you seem contractually obliged to mention O'Neill in every post.

Were they not the young players who got us into the mess we were/are in originally before Houllier took over ?
Helped by signings made by the previous manager admittedly.

Offline Concrete John

Yes, he inherited a squad with some holes in it.  But then Warnock and Carew were valuable members of the 1st 11 when he walked in the door, so who's fault is it that they no longer are?  Yes, it's probably the player's fault themselves, but certainly not the previous managers.

For all our talk about this player or that player, both good and bad, it's largely the same bunch that were 6th last season.  OK we lost Milner and had injuries early doors, so from the Man City game (home in the league - Bent's debut) we can draw comparisons and see what each manager can do with comparable squads.   

Offline eastie

Houllier has only had one month in the transfer window so of course most of the team are mon signings- he made many very good ones and also a few dodgy ones but that applies to any manager .

There will be a lot of business done in the summer I fancy and the team will improve as GED brings in his kind of players, we are still very much work in progress.

We may have mainly the squad of last season at the moment but we are playing a totally different style and system and that takes time to adapt, it's not an overnight thing.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:53:57 PM by eastie »

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Houllier has taken on a hard task

While no PL manager has an easy job inherting a club that has had three successive sixth place finsihes and is owned by a billionaire is easier than most.

If it hadn't been for the run of injuries and personal issues with players then I think we'd be much higher up the table. There was a time around Christmas when things did look bleak, resultys were shit and there was a constant steam of negative stories coming out of the club but that has been fixed and things now look far more positive.

Gerard himslef hasn't sought to hide behind excuses so I don't see whyt Malcolm feels the need to make them on his behalf.

Offline Concrete John

don't confuse making excuses for Gezza with slagging off Martin.  One is just an unintentional side effect of the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal