collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much we must give credit to the manager for the improvements of the team?  (Read 14652 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Why the nickname ' hotlips' for our esteemed leader?

I'm a big M*A*S*H fan.

Hotlips

Offline eastie

Same as dave , every Tuesday night with a couple of bangers! Never really got into watching it as a kid but I remember the infamous no1 hit of the theme.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
With a dramatic change in tactics with a squad of players so used to a style and formation of a manager quite content to have only one style with no alteration is always going to bring inconsistency. It would not surprise me if we lost the next match.
We have got to be patient with GH and also give him credit when it works and also I'm sure he will hold is hand up when it does not work.
I'd like to see this pass from Delph, I'd like to have seen the whole match. I have only had the MOTD highlights and what I have read on here. It sounds like I missed a treat of a game.

Offline WikiVilla

Ian J, the first half was abysmal, we almost went back to the pub at HT

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
I said on the post match thread that the pass from Delph was Sidesque and that's about the highest praise I coud give. Fifty yards, outside of the foot curled into Albrighton's path. He could be something very special.

Offline Caiphus

If that is after a two week break, imagine how we wil play after a proper pre-season!

Offline eastie

Would you be tempted to give delph a run in that position or revert back to baker or Clark bearing in mind none are natural left backs?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Would you be tempted to give delph a run in that position or revert back to baker or Clark bearing in mind none are natural left backs?

No, with passing like that Delph needs to be in midfield, he was good at LB but a better attack than Blackburn's would have exposed him.
Imagine Delph being in Young's position putting those balls into Bent's runs.

Offline eastie

Makoun , delph and reo-coker/Bradley? With downing albrighton and bent ahead of them - seems exciting to me , depending on whether or not young goes of course.

Offline Rancid custard

As with most top clubs the word here is dynasty, You can't judge from game to game, more year to year. GH has come in, made the right noises (kids are the future etc.) started stripping out the deadwood (Sidwell, et al) made a huge purchase in Darren Bent and is looking to integrate the youth with established players. It would be a crime to not see how this pans out in a couple of seasons, the quality of football is improving even if the results haven't always reflected this.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
You have to give GH credit.

A few weeks ago, a lot of fans were frothing at the mouth and wanted him out. I was one of them. He has signed some good players and the reported dressing room revolt came to nothing. A lot of dead wood has been shifted and the team is now playing much better. Credit too to RL for not panicking when things went to shit and backing his man. We're not out of the woods yet, but I cannot see us going down now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Come on lads, at the end of the Blackpool game which included an atrocious second half performance, there certainly wasn't much room for hope. We won a game against another awful team. It has been a horrible season, if we can put any run together there is probably another 6th placed finish up for grabs which says it all for the lack of quality in the league this season.

There is definitely more of an emphasis on passing but last seasons side had a far greater spirit. Some of you have very short memories of some truly awful performances.

Big summer for Houllier. There is going to be a huge change in personnel. 2 keepers, both Youngs, Warnock, Beye, Petrov, Pires, Reo Coker, Heskey and probably one of Cuellar/Collins, walker will go. Thankfully our younger players Clark, Albrighton who will be first choice players next season and to a lesser extent Bannan, Lichaj, Baker, Hogg, Delfouneso will fill in the squad player gaps. Delph hopefully will break through properly next season aswell as Makoun especially on his Old Trafford form.

We still require a good few signings. Would be great if Bradley can prove he is worth keeping on but I'd be very surprised if Walker stays. It will require a lot of bedding to bring in another 5 players. Based on the evidence so far I think Houllier is capable of getting good players in but getting results I don't think so.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
[
Oh and Walker is the best right back I've seen down there since Kenny Swain.
[/quote]

He reminds me of John Gidman,

Wonder if Delph could play a role as an attacking left back, tackling needs to be a bit circumspect, but good vision and that pass to albrighton was top draw.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
As I left the game I knew there'd be a thread like this on H&V and also that within it someone would mention getting 6th again this season!

What Saturday was was a good performance against a poor side.  Credit where it's due we played some lovely stuff and Gezza proved a lot of people wrong, myself included, in picking Pires.  However, we still can't keep a clean sheet and they also had another good chance due to a fuck up in our defense, which shouldn't be the case for a game we dominated so much.  I actually thought the 1st half was OK aswell, it just didn't quite happen for us infront of goal.

The team spirit seems to be back, but that's in relation to the team liking each other and the manager/coaches.  However it is NOT the winning mentality we had under MON where we can play badly and win - Houllier's Villa doesn't have that and we'll need to get it back if we want to do some real damage in the league next season.  In fairness I think we showed some signs of that against Blackpool (man down away from home, playing poorly and still came away with a point), but I still fear we're a soft touch for any team that actually has a go at us.

I think what we need is a real leader/shouter on the pitch - a Roy Keane/Tony Adams type - who will do the shouting on the pitch and drive the team on when we're up against it.   

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020

No, with passing like that Delph needs to be in midfield, he was good at LB but a better attack than Blackburn's would have exposed him.
Imagine Delph being in Young's position putting those balls into Bent's runs.
I can see this being Delph's position. A bit like how Gerrard played with Torres.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal