collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Expectations For The Future  (Read 12727 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Expectations For The Future
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 06:04:29 AM »
I reckon a cup final win and try to finnish top 5 that would be good expectations for me.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 09:05:45 AM »
My expectations are the same as they have always been for the last 40 plus years.

I expect an improvement next season, onward and upward until we breakthrough and dominate English football followed by a golden period of near European domination not disimiliar to those achieved at various periods in history by the likes of Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Ajax.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »
Jet boots and holidays on the moon.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »
A tightly oiled machine. A team comprised of a lot of our youth and people who want to play for our club, Baker and Clark, Bannan, Delph, albrighton, Fonz etc. A sustainable business that's not losing money just to try and make up ground which will still be around and on top of the pile after football and money have destroyed the game. Throw in a trophy every once in a while and I'd be happy with that.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »
Given the advances made by Citeh and Spurs in the last year or two, slightly offset by Liverpool going backwards a bit, I think 6th would be more than acceptable for Houllier's second season.  Especially if it comes with some good football, entertainment and and a sense that we are moving in the right direction.   

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
6th is par for the course with Villa. It’s around about where we've always been.

I don't think finishing 6th three years in a row was an achievement, more meeting the minimum requirement.

This what I think we should be aiming for, at the least under Houllier. I think its achievable. If we’d have had a pre-season under him to get in new players etc, then I think we’d have strolled 6th.

What we really need is silverware. We’ve been stuck on 20 pots for far too long.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
With no European football we'll have an advantage over most of the other clubs going for top 6. My worry s that we lose our best player again this summer and spend the first few months adjusting to it.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
Personally, I expect Villa, with GH in charge over the next few years, to more or less match what we did under MON, but I think we'll do it in a different way that fans will find more enjoyable.

Maybe luck will mean we can go that little bit further a win a cup.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
6th is par for the course with Villa. It’s around about where we've always been.

What we really need is silverware. We’ve been stuck on 20 pots for far too long.

The one downside if le Arse win today is they extend the gap between us and them vis a vis total trophies won.

Hard to believe it was a recently as 1996 that we both had the same amount.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »
Champions, FA Cup Winners, LC Winners. My expectations for us every year. Shame we never live up to them!

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »
I think we should be at least competing for top 6 next season, to finish higher than that would be difficult but we should be looking to at least qualify for Europe and if we do I'd expect us to take it a lot more seriously next time .
Maybe a cup win is realistic but I think we will see good quality winning football and entertainment and it will be an enjoyable season , to be really up around the top 4 would take huge investment as the rich are getting richer and it's a tough task to catch them.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:11:06 PM by eastie »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »

The one downside if le Arse win today is they extend the gap between us and them vis a vis total trophies won.

Hard to believe it was a recently as 1996 that we both had the same amount.

Similar with Man United back in 92/93, only we may have been one trophy ahead!

I'll let Arsenal have this one, we'll have the FA Cup.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
This year  has been the dodgy transitional period, next year will be the team starting to become his own. I believe next year we will be sniffing around the Europa league places, and will probably finish 8th or 9th - a top half placement I will be chuffed with.

I think pushing for a champions league place will be a long-term project, and Gerard will continue to add 1 or 2 players like Bent to the squad every season untill the team becomes similiar to the standard we now see of Tottenham, though that may be a tad optmistic. I'd give it 3 -5 years before I think we can seriously consider champions league contention, and I think it's very, very important for the Board, and for us as fans to realise and accept that under MON, we were massive over-achievers.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:48:51 PM by Chipsticks »

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 03:55:40 PM »
I wouldn't agree we were massive over achievers under mon- I think we merited a top 6 place and achieved it under him and considering the money that we spent it's a tad harsh to say we over achieved- what we couldn't do was break the top but we fully merited a top 6 place.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
I wouldn't agree we were massive over achievers under mon- I think we merited a top 6 place and achieved it under him and considering the money that we spent it's a tad harsh to say we over achieved- what we couldn't do was break the top but we fully merited a top 6 place.

I maitain that we over-achieved a great deal. When you look at the squad we had, I think we were very lucky to achieve the success we did. I think we have a much better overall squad now than we did under MON, despite losing key players such as Milner, Barry, Laursen etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal