collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barry Bannan prepared to wait for his first-team chance  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Barry Bannan prepared to wait for his first-team chance
« on: February 22, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
by Mathew Kendrick, Birmingham Mail

Barry Bannan has agreed to wait patiently for a first-team recall at the club he loves after admitting “I’m an Aston Villa fan”.

Bannan is happy about Gerard Houllier’s refusal to send him on loan despite increased competition for places in Villa’s midfield.

The Scottish international would rather fight for his claret and blue place than drop down to the Championship for a short while.

“My loans have been good for me but I don’t really want to go out on loan again,” said Bannan.

“Going to Derby when I was younger, then Blackpool last season was brilliant, but now I’ve played in the Premier League I think I’m good enough to play for this club.

“I’m just going to keep working hard and improving as much as I can.

“You want to be playing week-in, week-out but I’m still young. I’ve had a good few games already this season.

“I wouldn’t say I’m frustrated, but after getting a taste for it I want more. I’m training hard so hopefully I can get my place in the side back again.

“It hasn’t knocked my confidence because the gaffer has been brilliant with me and has kept my head up.

“I’ve come a long way in a short space of time so I’m just enjoying it at the moment.”

Bannan has been sat in the stands on most Premier League matchdays since the turn of the year because of Villa’s options in the centre of the park.

The 21-year-old playmaker has been pushed further down the pecking order following last month’s arrivals of Jean Makoun and Michael Bradley.

Asked what kind of spectator he is, Bannan, who could profit form Makoun’s ban with a return to the squad against Blackburn on Saturday, replied: “I’m just a normal fan really!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Barry Bannan prepared to wait for his first-team chance
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
For me he should be playing.

Put him in between NRC/Petrov and Bradley on Saturday.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »
Am I right in thinking that after a good performance against Blackburn in the Cup, he hasn't made the bench? Strange if so.

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
Agree sandman, sorry bentman, I'd play bannan with reo coker and Bradley on Saturday , it's a must win game and he may unlock the rovers defence .

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »
with Jean 2 out for the next 3 games I suspect we'll get see Bannan brought back in. He was superb in the cup win against Blackburn a few weeks back. Mind you, I also think we will see Bradley start on Saturday. Bannan has a big future and I think both he and GH have been saying all of the right things.

My impression is GH gets on far better with kids that are hungry with the right attitude than senior players that think they've made it. Kids will always get a chance with Houllier around.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »
I thought he was disappointing last night for the Reserves. He made two delightful through balls for the forwards but overall his distribution was poor. Obviously the pitch didn't help. His close control and skill are outstanding, he can always get himself out of trouble and find space, maybe he was trying too hard.  I don't know what GH plans for him but I'd have liked to have seen him further up the pitch linking the play, rather than sitting so deep.

I still think he can make it, hopefully it will be in a more advanced role and hopefully between now and the end of the season he'll get the chance to shine.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Am I right in thinking that after a good performance against Blackburn in the Cup, he hasn't made the bench? Strange if so.

I thought he was outstanding against Blackburn, best player on the pitch by some distance.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
I'd guess that Bannan has been involved in over 20 games this season.

He needs to be patient, then take his chance. Surely next season we could be without NRC & Petrov. He'll get a chance.

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
Bannan has an eye for a good pass that can split defences and could be the ideal supplier for bent with his well timed runs , I'd far rather see him than petrov on Saturday. Bradley should be ready for a start too and if nige plays the holding role it could be an interesting game.

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
think in league matches he will trust is experienced players , but in cup matches he will give youth a chance

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:15:15 PM »
He does need to be patient but when we are struggling in a game his ability to open up a defence should be tried off the bench.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
Against Blackburn he had loads of time on the ball and was hardly challenged. I think Houllier is hoping to improve his game against more competitive midfielders, and on his decision making and movement .....

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:47 PM »
Bannan as part of a 3-man central midfield has to be the future - 3 from BB, FD, MB, J2M (plus Hogg, Gardner, Carruthers) is where it's going to be.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
Seems like the lad has a good attitude which is great to hear. I think GH has done well in taking him and Albrighton out of the firing line, taking the pressure off and allowing the hype to die down.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »

I thought him and NRC had good games against Blackburn.  Thought they might get a bit of a run in the side after that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal