collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0%Villa Sometimes These Words  (Read 10412 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: 0%Villa Sometimes These Words
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
For me, that's not as bad as a Winson Bogarde, Hassan Kachloul, Wayne Bridge or even Habib Beye being quite happy to pick up their pay packet and not play at all, rather than someone who wants to feature in big games for a big club -even if it is only a bit part role.
And I would argue that it is more evidence of hypocrisy on the part of the average fan.

We're all keen to have players who are happy to be 'part of a squad', to 'play when they're needed and not cause a fuss when they're rotated' but as soon as a player indicates that he's happy to do just that then apparently they're just an unmotivated, money-grabbing waste of a salary.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 11:13:29 PM »
Maybe we forget, or don't understand, just how much football takes over their lives. I would imagine that from an early age everything else takes second place - Chris Green in one of his books writes about watching a game where one of the players was still wearing a nappy. When you're in such a situation it must be easy to regard it as a necessary evil that pays the bills.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 11:18:31 PM »
Part of a squad is fine.

If it's a player -like Owen- who accepts that he'll only play a bit part role.

When you have a scenario that the above four faced - not playing at all, and they were/are quite happy to sit tight and pocket wages for zero games and zero contribution, that's a bit different. At some point you'd think personal pride would kick in. That, or the fear of waisting the best years of their career rotting in the reserves.

It's always easier to advocate that someone else should take a hit on their wages, and move on as a point of principle, of course. But I don't think many fans would have any sympathy/ respect for players who aren't actually bothered about playing.

Online Dave

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
Part of a squad is fine.

If it's a player -like Owen- who accepts that he'll only play a bit part role.

When you have a scenario that the above four faced - not playing at all, and they were/are quite happy to sit tight and pocket wages for zero games and zero contribution, that's a bit different. At some point you'd think personal pride would kick in. That, or the fear of waisting the best years of their career rotting in the reserves.
The one uniting factor of the above four players and scores of others is that they had achieved most of the stuff that they were ever likely to achieve and were on a contract far in excess of their talents.

Someone who is 22 and happy to sign a five-year contract and sit on the bench, I would agree that there is something questionable there (although not necessarily wrong). But people who are coming to the end of their careers and who want to make the best of the situation for them and their family because someone has stupidly agreed to pay them more than they are worth - best of luck to them.

I can say hand on heart that if I were in their position I would be no different.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:26:01 PM by Dave »

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
Hassan Kachloul was just about at his peak when he joined us. Bridge had just got into the England squad at Southampton and was in his mid 20's IIRC.

Beye was into his 30's so, yes, you could say he seen us coming and decided to cash in.

The financial aspect is always going to be a huge factor and -as I mentioned- it's easier to advocate that someone should go elsewhere for less money when it's not a decision that impacts on you personally.

I would just think that a footballers career is so short that you'd want to pack as many memories and good experiences as possible. Sitting on a bench -or in the stands- when you could actively be involved and play a key role for another club would be a waste of that time.

Online Dave

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
Hassan Kachloul was just about at his peak when he joined us. Bridge had just got into the England squad at Southampton and was in his mid 20's IIRC.
Bridge won the FA Cup, the Premier League and the League Cup and scored the winning goal in a Champions League quarter final. That's a huge amount than a hundreds of more talented players have ever achieved.

He can then dine out on those memories for the rest of his life while earning three times as much as any club would sensibly pay him. I say well done to him. The next four generations of his family are made for life through his (relatively) meagre talent.

I would just think that a footballers career is so short that you'd want to pack as many memories and good experiences as possible. Sitting on a bench -or in the stands- when you could actively be involved and play a key role for another club would be a waste of that time.
But it's also short and you need to make as much money doing the only thing you really know how to do.

If you could be sitting on Villa's bench at age 30 earning £30k per week, there's no reason why you would go to Derby to earn half that.

What else is Kachloul (to use your example) likely to achieve in those couple of years while sacrificing a huge amount of money?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »
Kachloul bought a piano off a H&Ver while at Villa so at least he was productive in some capacity while at the club.

Offline KevinGage

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 11:52:36 PM »
Don't really have an issue with any of that.

It's the system at fault, and mug clubs offering those sums without a long term strategy as to how best to to utilise the players in question.

But the average fan will still have little sympathy/respect for those individuals who make it clear they see their club as a cash cow and nothing more. Deep down we probably know  that's the case anyway. We just don't want our noses rubbed in it.

Online Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »
Don't really have an issue with any of that.
*high-fives*

Let's get our application in to succeed Blatter on a joint-ticket basis. We'll get it sorted.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
Players have a short career so they wan't to make as much as money as possible i know it's wrong but what can we do.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
I'd say that some footballers love playing and being the very best that they can, the prime example is David Beckham.

At the other end of the spectrum you get some who really are just in it for the money and will do just enough to maintain their life style, see Stephen Ireland.

Edit: That's probably not much different from most jobs.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
I'd say that some footballers love playing and being the very best that they can, the prime example is David Beckham.

At the other end of the spectrum you get some who really are just in it for the money and will do just enough to maintain their life style, see Stephen Ireland.

Edit: That's probably not much different from most jobs.

I don't think the problem with Ireland is that he's more interested in money than football.  I think the problem is that he's completely mental.

Offline villa1

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »
I'd be more than happy to sit on Utd's bench, no matter how much I hated football, and pick up a fortune.

But if you had as much talent as Owen surely you'd want to play

When he's older and his career is over, I'm sure he'll look back and regret he missed so many games

I don't think that's what Peter's initial post is getting at. More the fact that if he hated he game, should he be admired for for giving 100% in training, etc and sticking with it. Of course, if I was as good as he is i'd want to be playing but regardless of how much he hates or loves the game i'd be happy to sit there and pick up millions.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
i'd be happy to sit on UTD's bench especially in the winter when its cold, I'd much rather have a wooly hat, Gloves and Tracksuit bottoms rather than run around in shorts

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »
They knew each other because they were both at Scarborough together - my mate was in the team that went up to the then Div4,

Slight tangent here, but every time I think of Scarbrough's first match in the football league I think of that Dog-Head, showing off at the McCain stadium and falling through the roof.

Makes me laugh every time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal