collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: tony gale/jack wilshire  (Read 11127 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: tony gale/jack wilshire
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »
The immortalization of Jack Wilshere, as good as he is our could be, is exactly the reason why the English national team will never be anything ever again. The national media is so desperate for a "saviour" that it will smother this very good player to the point of suffocation. Instead of trying to develop 20 Jack Wilshere's as they have done in Spain or Germany, we'll expect him to do and be everything, and place him a higher and higher pedestal, just waiting for it to teeter, then topple.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
[ I still remember the threads arguing that there was some massive conspiracy because the media were saying rooney was better than the moore brothers

So do I.  How Luke Moore played Rooney off the park whenever they'd shared it and how Moore was this great natural finisher after that Boro game. He wasn't and he was never going to be.

We all get a little over excited at times but that was delusional.

As for Wilshire, TV is is right.  Leave him to develop and he'll be a good player.  Expect him to do and be everything and he'll always come up short.  But that's the medias game all along.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
Why would you think that I am paranoid when you don't even know me? Please read the post again and see that the reference was to the ott comments about Wilshire's age I can see for myself the promise of the player as I have for all young players over the years: Trevor Francis being one doing the business at sixteen as distateful as it may be to some, also Paul Gascoigne being another, magnificent talents both of them. There will always be the hyperbole surrounding precocious talent I could go on. As for seeeking something to moan about if you knew me you would know that I am one of lifes happy people and only post on here for the entertainment value and dislike the frequent personal attacks by you and others if you disagree with what is being said. As it says in H & V headings" enjoy yourselves and have fun"

Watched Tony Gale on SSN this morning creaming himself about Jack Wilshire on Wednesday night v Barca.  and him only being nineteen.  Someone should remind him that Sid was doing it in the old first division on muddy pitches firstly at seventeen and then as a regular at eighteen and was every bit as good and in my opinion better, than Wilshire is now and possibly likely to be.  It's sad to think that Sid played for the wrong club in the eyes of the biased media, otherwise (broken leg apart) he would have been up there with those close to three figure cap holders.

That's right, because pundits should always stop and think when asked to comment about a player "before I answer, can I possibly make reference to an Aston Villa player from more than 20 years ago? I mean, the player I'm being paid to comment on has nothing to do with Aston Villa - and you'd imagine that the people who are paying me probably want me to talk about the player I'm being paid to comment on - but I'd hate to be thought of as a Sky-4-wankfester by some paranoid Villa fans who are trawling the media for things to feel wounded about."

I took issue with your post,  not your personality.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2011, 11:23:55 PM »
half decent english player gets over hyped scenario

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »
I listen to the Tuesday Club podcast mainly because I find Alan Davies funny and he and his cronies all agreed that Wilshire has been Arsenal's best player this season (and this was before the Barca match).

They watch him week in and week out so they must know a thing or two. As stated numerous times above he'll be drowned by the pressure and never fulfil his potential. Hopefully with lampard and gerrard insitu he'll be able to develop under wenger's tutelage rather than in the spotlight with England for a couple of years longer.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
The best thing Wiltshire could do for his club career is to declare a distant Irish relative and defect to the Republic for his international games.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
The immortalization of Jack Wilshere, as good as he is our could be, is exactly the reason why the English national team will never be anything ever again. The national media is so desperate for a "saviour" that it will smother this very good player to the point of suffocation. Instead of trying to develop 20 Jack Wilshere's as they have done in Spain or Germany, we'll expect him to do and be everything, and place him a higher and higher pedestal, just waiting for it to teeter, then topple.

I think it's more the England national team badly needs to develop more of a passing style, and not just sideways passing but occasional crisp forward balls that actually look threatening.

Wilshere I think has the potential to be that, someone to dictate the tempo and pace of the game from the centre rather than as a number 10.

That and of course he's an English player starting every week at Arsenal, which is very rare under Wenger.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
I think he's quality and has very good potential, definitely being overhyped though.

As for England, not that I care too much, but Huddlestone and Milner should be in there alongside him tbh.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
I'd have Henderson ahead of Huddlestone if he improves his defensive side of the game a bit more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal