collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: tony gale/jack wilshire  (Read 11136 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: tony gale/jack wilshire
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »
Wilshere is a brilliant prospect, he's someone who will live up to all this hype.

Now if we manage Bannan properly, there's no reason why over the next 18 months he can't develop into that sort of central player.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
The second "Is Jack Wilshire overrated" debate in a week!

Offline bob

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
When he scored against us and ran to the touch line waving his tongue out his mouth I had an urge to smack the twat in the face.

That is all.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »
He's a cracking player and will develop well. However, I don't think he will ever reach the same level as an Iniesta or Xavi. He just isn't THAT good. However, he will be hyped up like he is and that is the problem.

By the standards of a British player he is fantastic but he doesn't have the intelligence or skill of the true greats.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
Wilshire who only made 11 passes in the whole game. Xavi who made 120.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 03:47:44 PM »
   I was a bit like Wiki, in thinking is he as good as they all bang on about, but i was impressed with him on Wens, and thought he was Arses best player.

What i would say though , is as peter w said, his movement off the ball is poor, and to be as good a player as he is being hyped, he has to develop the humility of Xavi and Iniesta.

You never know he might turn out to be as good as Delph is going to be.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »
Why would you think that I am paranoid when you don't even know me? Please read the post again and see that the reference was to the ott comments about Wilshire's age I can see for myself the promise of the player as I have for all young players over the years: Trevor Francis being one doing the business at sixteen as distateful as it may be to some, also Paul Gascoigne being another, magnificent talents both of them. There will always be the hyperbole surrounding precocious talent I could go on. As for seeeking something to moan about if you knew me you would know that I am one of lifes happy people and only post on here for the entertainment value and dislike the frequent personal attacks by you and others if you disagree with what is being said. As it says in H & V headings" enjoy yourselves and have fun"

Watched Tony Gale on SSN this morning creaming himself about Jack Wilshire on Wednesday night v Barca.  and him only being nineteen.  Someone should remind him that Sid was doing it in the old first division on muddy pitches firstly at seventeen and then as a regular at eighteen and was every bit as good and in my opinion better, than Wilshire is now and possibly likely to be.  It's sad to think that Sid played for the wrong club in the eyes of the biased media, otherwise (broken leg apart) he would have been up there with those close to three figure cap holders.

That's right, because pundits should always stop and think when asked to comment about a player "before I answer, can I possibly make reference to an Aston Villa player from more than 20 years ago? I mean, the player I'm being paid to comment on has nothing to do with Aston Villa - and you'd imagine that the people who are paying me probably want me to talk about the player I'm being paid to comment on - but I'd hate to be thought of as a Sky-4-wankfester by some paranoid Villa fans who are trawling the media for things to feel wounded about."

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »

dont let your inacurate stats get in the way of your argument mate,
he made 46 passes during the game of which 43 were acurate ones.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
He is the new Joe Cole, I remember him being touted as the next gazza, he is good but like a number 7 bus there will be another one along shortly.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:31 PM »
He had a good 2nd half against barca but was, like the entire arsenal midfield, totally out of his depth in the first half.  He still needs to improve a lot before the praise he's getting will be justified, but is definitely a prospect.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
I think based on that performance Wilshere will be right up there with Marc Albrighton and Ciaran Clark for PFA Young player of the season. :P

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »

dont let your inacurate stats get in the way of your argument mate,
he made 46 passes during the game of which 43 were acurate ones.

If it's stats then Xavi made 71 forward passes to Wilsheres 19. Not sure exactly what that means but he's got a hell of a long way to go before he could be compared to the likes of Xavi and Iniesta.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2011, 12:32:43 AM »
Why do people get so worked up when the media praise anything other than Villa as though its some great big conspiracy?

I think it's a Brummy mentality thing. I wish people would get over it. Let's just enjoy out young crop of players and acknowledge that Wilshere is oustanding for 19. I still remember the threads arguing that there was some massive conspiracy because the media were saying rooney was better than the moore brothers

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2011, 09:55:24 AM »
i wonder if wilshere was placed in another team that didnt have the fantastic movement of arsenal, would he be hyped up as much as he is?

i know he played for bolton for a while, who also have reasonable movement under coyle, and he did reasonably well there, but he wasnt as good as he is now at arsenal, and even now at arsenal, he does go missing in games, etc... that is expected of young players for those that understand youth football and development... but now, as a young english player at arsenal, everything he does that is even remotely half decent is praised as a touch of genius... simple passes that are made on a game by game basis by thousands of players throughout the world are hailed as brilliance...

the game at arsenal, at all levels, is pretty much set up for pass and move, and that benefits the midfielders immensely..

looking at wilshere when next to lampard for england, (and gibbs in a previous england game), when that movement was lacking, they both looked distinctly average.. lampard has been doing that all his career when he played out of his club comfort zone, and i wonder whether a lot of wilsheres talent and praise comes from the set up around him...

dont get me wrong, i think he has talent and seems an intelligent and composed player on the ball, but apart from having a bit more pace, he doesnt really remind me of anything other than gareth barry coming through at the age of 17 years old , but having better players around him to suit his game...

so does that mean that wilshere is actually more benefitting from the movement around him, or from his own ability?

so that begs the question, is wilshere actually as good as some people think he is...

he had a very good game against barcelona, but the players actual performance was over stated due to his age, and the oppositon (who were below par)... and the media and some fans think he was amazing due to those factors... which means that his performance was overhyped... just like the last second coming, gareth bale...

wilshere made 46 passes against barca, 19 of those were forward, and none of them created a goal... nor did he score... xavi and iniesta were in treble figures... (i think pique made more than wilshere)... and all made more forward passes than wilshere actually passed...

while he had a really good game, the hype about him, and his performance, is yet again, over stated by morons like tony gale (and this is a man who once said that villa werent the better side when we battered his ex club blackburn 4-0... yea, burminum... cock)...

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 01:54:25 PM »
Tony Gale is the same arsehole who insisted Blackburn were a better side on the night, and in general, than the Villa team that had just beaten them 4-0 on their own pitch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal