collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: tony gale/jack wilshire  (Read 11135 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
tony gale/jack wilshire
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:30 AM »
Watched Tony Gale on SSN this morning creaming himself about Jack Wilshire on Wednesday night v Barca.  and him only being nineteen.  Someone should remind him that Sid was doing it in the old first division on muddy pitches firstly at seventeen and then as a regular at eighteen and was every bit as good and in my opinion better, than Wilshire is now and possibly likely to be.  It's sad to think that Sid played for the wrong club in the eyes of the biased media, otherwise (broken leg apart) he would have been up there with those close to three figure cap holders.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: tony gale/jack wilshire
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:35:37 AM »
Tony Gale is about one above Ronnie Irani but one below Micky Quinn and Tony Cascarino when it comes to insightful comments on football...

Offline Karl Bridges

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:38:49 AM »
I thought Wilshire looked the part on Wednesday considering who he was playing against. Agree that some of the gushing is OTT, need to just let him develop instead of announcing him as the second coming of Christ.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:39 AM »
Wilshire gave the ball away just 3 times in the whole game, some of his passes were defence splitting not just small 3 yard triangle types,
 i was very impressed, did not look out of place at all sharing the midfield with what some people say is the best midfield of all times

Offline WikiVilla

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
I was in the "whats all the fuss about Wiltshire" camp up until Weds night, his performance was out of the top drawer

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:00:28 AM »
Tony Gale is another of these 'Birminum' pundits. Only interested in the 'Sky 4', Spurs and West Ham. Asked about any other club, they'll say "not seen too much of Villa/Bolton/Wigan/Everton/etc, etc, but [insert manager name] will have them fired up for this one and they'll be solid and well organised"

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
He's good, but they're hyping him up beyond belief.

I remember the Nationals spunking their pants over Anton Ferdinand, who is shit.

Offline peter w

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:11:50 AM »
I know he's 19 and has great talent but I was watching his movement in the first-half when Arsenal hast he ball at the back and thought it was very poor. Its something that will be taught and I don't think he is a natural deep player but when ther back 4 of Arsenal needed an out ball he was on his heels too often and not showing for it. He was lazy and not looking for the work.

Not a damning criticism as he is still a long way short of the finished article and he did link up play nicely at times. Good luck to him as it'll only benefit England if players of his calibre come through into the national team.

But by then there'll only be 2 or 3 other decent English players so he'll be forced to carry the team - a la Rooney - and the pressure will be toog reat on him. Then the press will murder him very every on or off field mistake. Same old same old.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Good player he did play well on wednesday showed maturity beyond his years they need to let him develop naturally not put too much expectations on his shoulders.

Offline K3Villa

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »
I thought he was brilliant on Wed night with all things considered. Pleasure to watch.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »
Why do people get so worked up when the media praise anything other than Villa as though its some great big conspiracy?

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
I was in the "whats all the fuss about Wiltshire" camp up until Weds night, his performance was out of the top drawer

Exactly my thoughts  - though he was superb on Wednesday  - as much as i am proud as anything over some of our youth players lets be honest we dont have one anywhere as near as dominant and as good as him at the moment

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:55:58 PM »
Watched Tony Gale on SSN this morning creaming himself about Jack Wilshire on Wednesday night v Barca.  and him only being nineteen.  Someone should remind him that Sid was doing it in the old first division on muddy pitches firstly at seventeen and then as a regular at eighteen and was every bit as good and in my opinion better, than Wilshire is now and possibly likely to be.  It's sad to think that Sid played for the wrong club in the eyes of the biased media, otherwise (broken leg apart) he would have been up there with those close to three figure cap holders.

That's right, because pundits should always stop and think when asked to comment about a player "before I answer, can I possibly make reference to an Aston Villa player from more than 20 years ago? I mean, the player I'm being paid to comment on has nothing to do with Aston Villa - and you'd imagine that the people who are paying me probably want me to talk about the player I'm being paid to comment on - but I'd hate to be thought of as a Sky-4-wankfester by some paranoid Villa fans who are trawling the media for things to feel wounded about."

Offline kipeye

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 01:03:40 PM »
Ditto. It was an enormously assured performance at the very highest level. For me he completely outshone Fabregas. Long way to go but fantastic prospect.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 01:06:02 PM »
Gale's another of those idiots that says "Birminum" so his opinions on everything are irrelevant.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal