collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:45:28 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Falling out of love with NEUTRAL football  (Read 31672 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: 0% Villa - Falling out of love with NEUTRAL football
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
On a related topic, had a fairly heated exchange on FB last night with a nose about Chumps League versuse European Cup.  He reckons the competition is so much better than it used to be and we would never have had a chance of winning it now.  Typical fucking nose I guess trying to downgrade our achievement.  But am I alone in thinking that having 58 chances to progress in a competition against teams who could have finished as low as 4th in their domestic divisions and include Rangers or Celtic is easier than a straight knockout competition against the champions of every domestic league in Europe.

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 11:40:18 AM »
I have little interest in games not involving villa. I saw some of the Barcalona games last night but only had it on in the background whilst doing other things. Can't remember the last time I sat and watched MOTD.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
On a related topic, had a fairly heated exchange on FB last night with a nose about Chumps League versuse European Cup.  He reckons the competition is so much better than it used to be and we would never have had a chance of winning it now.  Typical fucking nose I guess trying to downgrade our achievement.  But am I alone in thinking that having 58 chances to progress in a competition against teams who could have finished as low as 4th in their domestic divisions and include Rangers or Celtic is easier than a straight knockout competition against the champions of every domestic league in Europe.

er...no.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:11 PM »
Went to Bilston Town 2-2 Blackheath Town last night instead, can't get into the Champions League at all, although it sounds like I missed a good game.
Still watch plenty of football on the telly, I find it helps to cultivate a real irrational hatred for a few clubs so you nearly always have someone to cheer on.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
i watch it, but get irritated by the agenda fuelled fornication over certain clubs and players by the commentators and then analysists and media outlets...

part of the reason why i have got rid of sky sports (once the termination date thing expires)...

Offline vilan461

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 12:28:11 PM »
really only watch Villa these days,---not bothered about Engerrrrland unless Villa Boys are involved,
 only watch other internationals if Villa players are playing- eg-Republic of Ireland now that both Clark and Dunne are in the side,
      if we loose or sometimes draw can,t be bothered with MOD ,---but if we win always watch sky,s match choice Saturday night,
       reckon the age factor has something to do with it----but at the end of the day its only Villa that matters to me,when we win i,m happy when loose like a bear with a dam very sore head,

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
I always used to support our teams in Europe, but that was when they were full of British players. Seeing Arshavin score against Barcelona provoked no emotional response from at all apart from 'jammy bastards'.

Can't remember the last time I took any interest in the Premier League champions lifting the trophy and hardly bother to watch all of the FA cup final. The play offs are more enjoyable.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
I hardly ever watch neutral football anymore...I resent the champions league and what football has become in general.

There's too much of it, too much fannying about, too many spoilt brats, shit punditry, fewer "characters", sycophantic and increasingly predictable.

Same here. I never even watch MOTD - can't stand the presenters.

Don't have SKY or ESPN - so the only football I'm seeing is live - whicb suits me just fine.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
I watched the Arse v Barca -- it makes you realise why you love football when you see tow teams like that.

Fabulous game, you have to give Wenger a great deal of credit.

Offline peter w

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:57 PM »
Never really have been a watcher of non-Villa games. I really find it hard to get into games where I have no interest - sometimes there will be a good few mins or so, but then I lose interest.

Offline Pete Green

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
i watch it, but get irritated by the agenda fuelled fornication over certain clubs and players by the commentators and then analysists and media outlets...

Sums up how I feel about it all.

Also, the ITV FA Cup coverage puts me off the damn competition. Cramming 35 minutes of goal round-up into an hour and a half just gets me angry rather than anything else. 30 years ago we might not have known the scores to key games until they told us, but in this day and age is there really any need to tease the audience who've waited up til 11.30pm to see the goals?

Luckily my lads play junior football so I get a good fix of honest grit and toil every weekend without being spoon-fed my football as if I'm some moron who loves millionaires and shit car insurance ads.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 12:42:14 PM »
Anybody else?

I took a passive interest in last night's Arsenal game as it was a decent game, but as a rule of thumb I no longer have any interest in any match that doesn't involve Villa.

I don't give a toss about the national side, although I used to watch the games avidly.

I just can't invest any concentration in games that have no emotional attachment for me anymore.

Getting old?

Been like that for years and years with English Football. Never make the effort to watch anything but Villa. I do watch the English Internationals and major Tournos though and the odd foreign games.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
If we have won our last game, I love footy and watch MOTD, not just for the Villa, and watch most other football that is on telly.
If we haven't won our last game, I could't care less about footy. never watch MOTD, and barely read football articles.

This is exactly my attitude - the other week there was a lot of hype because a lot of goals had been scored in the premier league.  But since Villa only drew with Fulham my response was "meh".

Offline Merv

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 12:53:24 PM »
I wateched Masterchef rather than the Arsenal game last night.

Me too, which is why I caught the CL highlights. Much as the Arsenal game was entertaining, I'm pleased I watched that girl totally ruin that 're-constructed' trifle. Torode refused to even taste it!

Offline peter w

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
If we have won our last game, I love footy and watch MOTD, not just for the Villa, and watch most other football that is on telly.
If we haven't won our last game, I could't care less about footy. never watch MOTD, and barely read football articles.

This is exactly my attitude - the other week there was a lot of hype because a lot of goals had been scored in the premier league.  But since Villa only drew with Fulham my response was "meh".

I still haven't seen the goals from the Fulham game. Simillarly refused to watch MOTD or acknowledge anything relating to the game until we had approached kick-off at Blackpool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal