collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa - Falling out of love with NEUTRAL football  (Read 31671 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
0% Villa - Falling out of love with NEUTRAL football
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:33:02 AM »
Anybody else?

I took a passive interest in last night's Arsenal game as it was a decent game, but as a rule of thumb I no longer have any interest in any match that doesn't involve Villa.

I don't give a toss about the national side, although I used to watch the games avidly.

I just can't invest any concentration in games that have no emotional attachment for me anymore.

Getting old?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: 0% Villa - Falling out of love with NEUTRAL football
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
I've fallen out of love with football generally I suppose, but still love Villa and also like to watch England.   I've been like this for a while, watched the game last night just to see what all the fuss was about Barca, but second half my attention wandered to other stuff.  I only tend to watch Villa and England games with any kind of full involvement, and even then I'm easily distracted.  As a kid I would watch all the neutral games I could but there was much less on the box back then.   

I think it's partly getting old, partly the game has changed for the worse in the Sky era.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
I'm the same as Bentlefletch.

Very little interest in non Villa football these days. Although having said that, I've watched the two CL games this week.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 10:45:13 AM »
Very little interest in non Villa football these days. Although having said that, I've watched the two CL games this week.
The Arse game last night was good, but all the time I was sitting there thinking
'That could have been us.'

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
It's either Villa, England games that matter or games involving two teams as good as Arsenal and Barcelona (which is a rare occurance). Occasionaly I'll flick to ESPN on a Saturday evening to have a little look if I'm there.

However, the only one that I actually care about is the Villa.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:57:27 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the Arse game last night, and yes there was huge element of jealousy that we are as far away from night like that as ever.

As for football in general, any interest I have in neutral football if wholly dependant on the Villa.

If we have won our last game, I love footy and watch MOTD, not just for the Villa, and watch most other football that is on telly.
If we haven't won our last game, I could't care less about footy. never watch MOTD, and barely read football articles.
This season, I could'nt tell you who is in the top 10 of the prem, and their relative positions. Are Liverpool still running away with the title ?

As an aside, I just read there 7,515 at Wigan vs Bolton in the cup last night !!           

Offline Barney74

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
I'm exactly the same - only ever watch the Villa - don't even watch Ireland anymore... once had a (very long, drunken) argument with a Scum fan (I mean Mancs not Noses) about whether or not I could call myself a football fan if I didn't watch the mighty Man. Utd. (git)  ::)

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:07:18 AM »
I hardly ever watch neutral football anymore. I should be licking my lips at the prospect of Arsenal v Barcelona but I couldn't give a toss and I resent the champions league and what football has become in general.

There's too much of it, too much fannying about, too many spoilt brats, shit punditry, fewer "characters", sycophantic and increasingly predictable.
Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm sure it's not as entertaining as it used to be.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Only Villa for me

I struggle to watch us on the telly if I'm not there

Offline Merv

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
Sadly, I have to agree. Lost a lot of interest in England post Euro 2004 - so much so I laughed like a drain when Croatia beat us to kill off our Euro 2008 qualifying chances - and now I can take or leave their games, even when on ITV. All the hyperbole about the Champions League over the years has put me right off, though I watched highlights of the Arsenal-Barca game last night and really enjoyed it.

It's Villa or nothing for me, pretty much. If we're not playing on a Saturday I very often don't check results and even given MOTD the swerve.

Only exception is, I don't mind catching a bit of Championship football now and again. Which might prove handy.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
It's mostly lost on me as I think most footballers (including our own) are over-paid, dickhead, fuckwit, dipshit, oxygen thieves who seem to have zero appreciation for what they earn. It's like going to the movies and every actor is Tom Cruise.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:59 AM »
Do not watch football if it does not involve the Villa. Did not watch Ingerlund recently, did not watch Barça (even though I only live 120 miles from the ground. It's my local team).

I only wish to be bored by the Villa, be depressed by the Villa, be infuriated by the Villa, and occasionally, be entertained by the Villa. Stupid, really. It's like saying you will only eat at the school canteen when everyone else has a regular table at El Bulli.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:03 AM »
Only Villa for me

I struggle to watch us on the telly if I'm not there

I find watching us incredibly stressful at tht moment especially when we score basically because I'm waiting for the opposition to score within minutes which invariably happens.Am relieved were not playing for two weeks as looking forward to a Saturday when I'm not spending the afternoon shaking like a shitting dog

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:25:01 AM »
I wateched Masterchef rather than the Arsenal game last night.  I have absolutely zero interest in non-Villa matches these days, although I'll occasionally watch an FA Cup game if it's a lower league team against one of the big boys.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
I'm the same. Just Villa really, and in contrast to earlier years, an occasional passing interest in England, but I can't say I care too much how they do.

I put it down to a combination of my age, the sour taste of the Sky/Premier league, better things to spend my time and money on, too many games all of which are hyped up but many of which are just shit and too much fan tribalism, 'hating' fans from other clubs. Probably other reasons too, but these are just the ones that spring to mind.

I believe it's going to be all downhill from here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal