collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Fasth56
[Today at 11:02:53 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:02:43 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:59:42 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa: Peter Crouch, Flat track bully or top quality?  (Read 13251 times)

Offline luke95

Re: 0% Villa: Peter Crouch, Flat track bully or top quality?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
His goal scoring record isn't that great.

8 in this seasons Champions League & a goal every 3 games in his career.

It aint bad . 

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 10:08:46 AM »
He's a good £10m sub to have on the bench to change things, if you can afford that kind of thing. No top club would have him as their main striker.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »
I like Crouch, he's got great footwork & a great first touch.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
I remember when we signed him, Everyone was like oh no its a graham Taylor purchase were going back to the long ball with a big striker, but im sure SGT said he'd play for england.

I remember listening to radio 5 and some pompey fan calling saying Villa will never get the best out of him as they don't know how to play to his strengths. I wasn't bothered when he left. I don't expect to see him back either

Offline Merv

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »
Can you be a flat track bully if you're scoring goals at the very highest level? I don't think you can. His record at international level is superb, as is his Champions League record to date. You start dissecting the opposition he's scored against - bearing in mind these are international teams and the strongest club sides in Europe - and looking to downgrade his ratio that way, you can just about pull apart every striker in the world. Oh, hello Pele...

He was young and raw when we signed him, and looked young and raw when we sold him to Southampton. Since then, he's matured and blossomed and developed very well, better than I would have predicted.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
I really liked him when he played at the Villa would i like him to return i would have to say no they say never go back but decent player though.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »
When Taylor sigend him I was disappointed because I thought it was Cascarino mkII and it was long ball time.

However Crouchy won me over, I thought he was a very good player even back then,  and I was very disappointed when that idiot let him go for peanuts.  Shame all some Villa fans could see was his unusual physique, which meant they wrote him off without actually bothering to look at his ability.

It hasn't surprised me at all that he's performed consistently well at the top end of the PL and in the CL with Liverpool and Spurs.   

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
people just dont like him because of the way he looks,

i'm not a big Darren Bent fan, but i cant argue with his goalscoring record, its the same for Crouchy,
 you just cant argue with someone who scores lots of goals, especialy at international level and champs league

Offline eastie

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
I don't need to fall for sky hype chris, I was hugely impressed by spurs performance against a Milan side who top serie a , maybe Milan looked average because spurs made them look average , it was an outstanding performance in a hostile atmosphere and although I'm no great lover of spurs I was full of admiration for their display- they have come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years while we have slipped back.

The good thing for us is that redknapp will probably get the England job next yr and spurs hopefully will slip backwards after that.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
Crouch is a decent player and with good control for a big man , spurs were outstanding against Milan and a credit to English football last night , flamimi and gattuso were a disgrace and should have both been sent off but fair play to harry and his men , it's very rare I say it but well done spurs!

They did well and it's a very good result but Milan were so average I think describing their performance as "outstanding" is falling for the Sky hype.

you must be crackers not to think that was anything but an outsatanding performance last night,

putting any anti spurs predjudices to one side,
 they have just beaten a very good AC Milan side away from home, publicly humiliated one of the strongest european midfield players in his own back yard. and left him acting like my 3 year old.
i could accept your view if your standards of performance was consitantly high, but normaly it is appalingly low,

like when Downing or Gabby have had an extremly average game, your on here saying they played well, i just think well he sets the bar very low, then you see that last night and call it falling for SKY hype,

i dislike Spurs as much as the next man, but i'm not so one eyed i cant give credit to a outstanding European performance when i see one

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »
Well said john e , totally agree , I'm sure If mon had been manager last night mr smith would have found it a far more outstanding performance though- I am not fan of harry myself but credit to him for last night .

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
You are confusing the result with the performance, John. The game was fairly uninspiring, it only livened up when Milan started kicking them in the second half and Spurs did just what they had to do but "outstanding" is over egging what was a pretty average game of football although Gomez made 2 very good saves.

I wonder how that Milan side would get on in the PL?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
Well said john e , totally agree , I'm sure If mon had been manager last night mr smith would have found it a far more outstanding performance though- I am not fan of harry myself but credit to him for last night .

Zzzzzzzz

Offline peter w

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »

Zzzzzzzz

Agreed. You were more of an O'Leary man. When will these thick ignorant feckers ever learn?

Offline Merv

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
I do have to say, there's no getting away from the fact that Spurs have made significant progress in the last two years; they've overtaken us and left us standing. If it were Villa going to the San Siro in the knockout stages of the Champions League, I wouldn't care how we rated the merits of a win - any kind of victory in Milan would be good enough for me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal