collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 283001 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: Olympics
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Add:

Darts, snooker and wanking.

Britain will add to the medal count and I might have a chance in the latter.

As long as we're talking "distance travelled" or "volume produced" rather than some kind of artistic, subjective marking system.

Time taken I reckon, with a biscuit, loser eats it for extra fun.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
Add:

As long as we're talking "distance travelled" or "volume produced" rather than some kind of artistic, subjective marking system.

Surely it would just make you feel a little prick.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
Add:

With the added advantage that it would give the rugby players a chance of a medal.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 02:20:31 PM »

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
any sport/activity where the highest acolade is or would be an olympic Gold is fine by me,
 even if its sycronised swimming or beach volleyball.

an olympic medal in Darts might well become the top achievement if it was part of the games, so i might alow it.

but Golf, Tennis, Football, Rugby etc should not be allowed in,
 unless the olympic Gold was bigger and better than winning the world cup or major tournament, which isnt going to happen.

as for the Olympics as a whole, i'm all for it,
a lot of money has been spent, but hopefully has gone straight back into the economy, and helped pay peoples wages and mortgages.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:49:51 PM by john e »

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
I misheard the radio report then. It was a glib comment based on a prejudice towards Coventry and a long standing bitterness towards London and the Olympics from a Parochial angle following Birmingham's doomed bid.

That's a long time to be harbouring a grudge. Have you sought therapy?

At that time I won a Birmingham Olympic sweatshirt in a competition on local radio (BRMB I think) - can't remember how, but they ran it for several weeks. I won in the first week, but I thought I'd have another go since the girlfriend nicked it. Amazingly I also won the next week. As I was on a roll I kept entering and every time they sent me a sweatshirt. I finally realised that I must have been the only person who entered, such was the apathy surrounding the bid. I think I've still got one somewhere. I'm still hoping Birmingham will host the games sometime soon so that I can wear it.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »
London Olympics? Can't wait.  We've budgeted for that being our 2012 summer holiday.  Even if all we get is tickets for some of the lesser sports, we'll be happy.  Well, except badminton.  The squeaking of the shoes on the court does my head in.

Arguably the best event I went to at the Manchester Commonwealth Games was the netball. so don't knock it until you've seen the best in the world in action.

I'd love to go to the athletics, swimming or the velodrome, but if it transpires it is archery, wrestling and weightlifting, bring it on!

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »

Offline Risso

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »

I'd love to go to the athletics, swimming or the velodrome, but if it transpires it is archery, wrestling and weightlifting, bring it on!

Saw some of the road cycling around Horwich when the Commonwealth Games were on, it was alright to sit and watch.  We've got the Junior Commonwealth Games over here this year, I can hardly contain my excitement.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Apparently the football starts a few days before the opening ceremony. In Coventry.

Can anyone else think of a more underwhelming and low key start to such a huge event?
The first two games are at the Millenium Stadium Cardiff not that you'd want the facts to get in the way of course.

Did you count to ten mate? ;)

I don't see why the football can't be played in Coventry or anywhere else for that matter. We have the stadiums and infrastructure to do that. Not that FIFA paid any attention to that when they were carting vast sums of Russian money away from the world cup voting session, the gluttonous bunch of crooks.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:23 PM »
When would the Bham Olympic have been held if we had won?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
When would the Bham Olympic have been held if we had won?

"Bring the games to Britain"

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
Saw some of the road cycling around Horwich when the Commonwealth Games were on, it was alright to sit and watch

Bizarrely, the 2007 Tour De France started in London and went through Lewisham/Deptford. Bottom of our road

We were in Devon that week and missed the fackin' lot.....

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 11:37:03 PM »

Still want to post to the Olympics. 
Found this.  I had such a laugh and wanted to share - you may already know this but doesn't it just make you giggle?

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
I don't see why the football can't be played in Coventry or anywhere else for that matter. We have the stadiums and infrastructure to do that. Not that FIFA paid any attention to that when they were carting vast sums of Russian money away from the world cup voting session, the gluttonous bunch of crooks.

We have tickets for the football in Coventry. Mainly because it's probably the only opportunity we'll have to see a live Olympic event.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal