collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A serious question - your views pls.  (Read 11650 times)

Offline villa1

Re: A serious question - your views pls.
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
I've never understood why Nigel Spink has not been offered the job of goal keeping coach. A true legend, who if playing today would easily be England'd number 1

That's all well and good, but it doesn't mean he'll be a good coach.

Good players don't always make a good coaches and good coaches weren't always good players.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »
Spinky has been goalkeeping coach for Steve bruce at blose, Wigan and Sunderland so he must be rated in the job .

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
Spinky has been goalkeeping coach for Steve bruce at blose, Wigan and Sunderland so he must be rated in the job .

That's just because Bruce wants somebody around as ugly as he is who he knows his daughter won't shag.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:14:03 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 01:02:14 PM »
  Whoever the defensive/ goalkeeping coaches are at VP at this time surely we should be looking to the experienced core of our defence itself to set the standards.  In Collins, Dunne, Cuellar and Friedel we have some big guys with a lot of experience.  When you take into account the more senior midfielders (Petrov, NRC and even Downing and Young) we should have enough tactical nous to be able to defend an inswinging, near post corner, regardless of who is coaching them.  This is one of the most basic elements of defending, something my boy is learning even now at the tender age of 13. 

Our defending from open play is becoming more solid than earlier in the season, it is this frustrating inability to get a defender on the recieving end of corners and free kicks which is costing us goals and points.  Brad obviously has a confidence issue, whether that is due to a personal issue (maybe rising from his own problems?) or because he is finding it difficult to trust the men in front of him.  And vice-versa the defenders may not have the faith in him at this time.  Whatever the case may be the issue is not just one of coaching (imo) but also one of personal responsibility and confidence.  We appear to be lacking a player to stand up and take the lead a la Martin Laursen who would alwaus be the first man to the ball. 

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
I'd guess Houllier will be back in for Patrice Bergues in the summer. To be fair he tried to get him when he joined but he didn't want to move with the season already well underway. I guess that's what happens when you have to try and replace a whole coaching setup in mid August.

Offline villa1

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »

Not exactly pulling up trees with those three is he?

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »
I don't think Ciaran Clark is as dominant in the air as he should be for someone of his height, there's been quite a few goals this season where the attacker seems to have outjumped him.

Defending set pieces should be an easy skill to coach, the last 2 we've let in has been as a result of attackers having a run on the defenders.

My old manager used to say "if you're not touching you're not close enough", we need to start blocking runs and making it harder for the opposition to get a clean header.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
I haven't seen the goals (various sites banned here in China) but I on the Guardian today that Blackpool have scored more set pieces than any Premiership other team this season and we have conceded the most from set pieces.

This is partly organisation and coaching and also due to loss of form and confidence. Dunne looked woeful at times early in the season and Carlos has been out a lot which takes away a central defender lending a hand in the air from right back. Friedel has been below par compared to his first two seasons and I think the reasons outlined above explain most of this - unsettled players in front of him, financial woes and old Father Time.

I would also add there were rumours when Gerard H was appointed that Friedel was less than happy since he had previously sold him whilst manager of Liverpool. These murmurs of discontent also apparently applied to Warnock and Carew who had been seen as below par by the new manager and subsequently sold from Lyon / Liverpool. None of them pulled up any trees this season. Confidence is a big factor in football and if you know the manager doesn't rate you that must surely play a role.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
I'd guess Houllier will be back in for Patrice Bergues in the summer. To be fair he tried to get him when he joined but he didn't want to move with the season already well underway. I guess that's what happens when you have to try and replace a whole coaching setup in mid August.

The reason he never came was reported as "family reasons". He did give the impression that he wanted to come but it just wasn't possible at the time. Like you, I really hope he'll be joining us in the summer. We need him, as does Houllier.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:37 PM »
There should be a role for the great Dane Martin Laursen and Dion Dublin in our coaching set up.

Offline Bosco81

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
There should be a role for the great Dane Martin Laursen and Dion Dublin in our coaching set up.

When Laursen was playing, I think he just said if the ball is in the air I'll head it and everyone else just has to get out of the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal