collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young - tell it how you see it  (Read 88183 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Ashley Young - tell it how you see it
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:41:21 AM »
The lad is an amazing talent. There's absolutely no doubting that. But, for me, he's not performing anywhere close to what he should be. Nor as consistently.

The Blackpool game was the best he's shown for some time - but even then, we got a perfect illustration of what's going wrong: his petulance, his billy-big bollocks attitude, his lack of footballing brain...

I think the wheels started to come off when MoN claimed him to be 'World Class'. Since then, he seems to think he's the English Lionel Messi? Instead of doing what suits both his game and the teams in using his sublime skill (and reputation) to draw two players, then lay off the pass to a free player, he now likes to hold the ball until he runs into trouble, invariably going down under the challenge. Then we see the waving of the arms, the slapping of the pitch, the moaning at the ref - or worse, his own team-mates.

On the occassion he does 'draw the foul', the next bit is so painfully predictable...the cross will go either straight to the keeper, overhit so the tall bloke at the back stick needs grow another 6 inches or, more often than not, smacks it into Row Z.

It really hit home to me yesterday how much his game has gone downhill when I got excited by a Spurs loanee ripping through the opposition. He doesn't try to 'draw the foul', he tries to tear into them. He doesn't try to do something way beyond his level, he just does what he does. He doesn't come off as someone who feels he has to do it to try and showcase his talent, he does it to create a genuine opportunity and to rev the team - and the crowd - up.

This is what Young needs to get back to doing. Because it's what he does best. I loved that Ashley Young. I can't stand the over-hyped, over-acting, primadonna MkII version he's become. 

Offline luke25

Re: Ashley Young - tell it how you see it
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
Pretty much word for word as I see it too, in my years I've never known a player so talented and exciting while at the same time being so fucking infuriating, incidently the point about him thinking he's better than he is since MON said he was world class is a point my dad repeatedly makes to me, what I'd give to get the Ash of old back, although it may help if he was'nt playing in a position were he's totally inefectual
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:58:16 AM by luke25 »

Offline charlie659

• Brian Little walks on water - FACT
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Swap for Jimmy in the summer please.

Offline eastie

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »
Good player who on his day can be superb- ash is far more effective as a winger but seems to prefer the central role . The delivery of ash on set pieces has been very poor on a regular basis for some time now and although there is no doubt he's a decent player I agree milner is a much bigger loss than ash would be.

I feel he will move on in the summer and this may be in the benefit of all parties as he isn't good enough to play his current role at this level-whoever buys him will also probably be looking at him as a winger too.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »
I echo your thoughts Troy, undoubtedly talented but simply not delivering consistently or often enough.  Needs to get back to basics and use his noggin a bit more.  Also good point about about the comparatively refreshing approach of Walker, and I think you can say similar about Albrighton's game.

Offline villa1

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »
Positives:
A very good player when he wants to be and in the right position.
His effort and running lately can't be faulted.

Negatives:
Nowhere near as effective in the middle.
Much better out on the wing, taking people on.
Poor from dead ball situations at the moment.
Too much arm waving / gesturing / moaning.
He wears that stupid snood.
He limps in every single game, without fail.

All in all, he could, and should, be the type of player we need to hold onto if we're to progress. However, he's not performing for us and i'd sell him in the summer if a decent offer came in. I don't see as he'd be a major loss and think we could use the money to bring other players in. There will always be other players available.

Barry was our best player. We sold him.
Milner was our best player. We sold him.
Is Young our best player? In my opinion no, not to the extent that they were. Therefore the impact won't be as great.

Those are just my feelings on him at the moment. I'd love nothing more than to see him out on the wing and back to his best. Then i'd keep him, without question.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Can't argue with any of the above.
2 incidents summed it up for me: (i) last season I went to the game at the COM stadium to see Villa play Citeh - on one occasion, AY challenged a linesman's decision - wrongly (it was right in the corner where we were stood) - and gave him a right volley, got booked for his trouble and spent the next 10 minutes fretting about it; (ii) at Shefield Utd this season, getting needlessly sent off for two petulant fouls against losing and inferior opposition.
For me, he's lost the plot and needs to move on to re-find it. He'll be a great player again; just not sure it'll be in a Villa shirt.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »
you would think the manager would show him a dvd of his performance and he would be embarassed by his own behaviour... in a perfect world anyway.  Where is his ability to self criticise?

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:54 AM »
Speculation in the press that sir alex wants him in the summer , if that was the case then I'd be looking for Gibson plus cash in a part ex deal, also galatasaray rumoured to be after mr petrov , in which case I'd definately sell.

Offline villa1

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 08:35:17 AM »
No thanks to Gibson. We can do better than that.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
Speculation in the press that sir alex wants him in the summer , if that was the case then I'd be looking for Gibson plus cash in a part ex deal
You've come up with some eccentric ideas in the past eastie, but the idea that anyone higher than a League One club, let alone ourselves should be trying to sign Darron Gibson is bordering on insanity.

He would be about sixth choice amongst our current midfielders.

Offline robinleper

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
If Sir Alex was to sign AY Where would he play him? I don't think he would use him in a central role. He would play him in his strongest position for the good of the team. Why can't we try this ? Is it too far into this season to change this without AY throwing his toys out the pram?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »

For me he has'nt been as good on the wing as some people on here think for the last 2 years.If he does play on the wing, then play him on the right.

I think that he is worth perservering with in the middle tbh, but he needs much better help from Gabby in partic, and the addition of a proper LB would give him more options when he has the ball.

Wens showed he can play that role, he wants to play there, he is probably the best player to play there, so lets give him the opportunity to play there.

If he goes in the summer, so be it, its happened before, it will probably happen again.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:21 AM »
I pretty much agree with every word of Troys original post.
To add to that, I don't think giving Ash the captains armband helps him.
For one reason, he is not exactly setting a leaders example.
But the main thing is, being captain is like giving him carte blanche to question every single action of the ref, because captains are the only ones 'allowed' to speak to the ref.
Problem is, there is the right way to do it, and Ashleys way .
Its no wonder he pisses them off.

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »
If Gibson were as average as you describe dave , I doubt sir alex would have had offered him a long term contract like he has done- I prefer to take sir alex opinion of him.

If ash were to go to united I think it would surely be as a winger.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal