collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Grader scores against Man U.  (Read 6998 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
The Grader scores against Man U.
« on: February 09, 2011, 11:49:30 AM »
1974-75.

Note the last words of the commentary "...and thats Graydons 23rd goal of the season". 23rd !
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:43:34 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: The Grader scores against Man U.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 12:23:59 PM »
I was at that game, Holte End, Left side of course.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
Thanks for posting that.

The nucleus of the 76/77 League cup winning side, to me they were the best Villa side i've ever seen.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:01 PM »
What a kit, what a player and what great times as a 14 year old !!

Cheers Andy for posting that
UTV
The Doc

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:28:15 AM »
Thanks for that Andy.

My first kit was a replica of that kit and that was my first season of going to Villa Park. Such happy days  :)

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
Great post, always lovely to see new found footage from that era!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
Question for the, ahem, older posters as I was in nappies when that game was played.

I notice that the United fans had the Witton End for that game, but I've also seen games from the 70's where there were Villa fans in that end - and a mixture of away fans.   So, when did actual segregation officially kick in at Villa was there a watershed moment, or did it depend on the away team and the amount of fans visiting?  I presume once North Stand was built, that sealed the deal, as it were.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
Most games were pay on the door, segregation was practically impossible so pretty sure that would still have been Villa in the Witton.

Some time in the 80s when they put the pens into the Lower North would be my guess for when it was first implemented for non all ticket games.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
As far as I remember fenced segregation at VP really started with the North stand, the away fans having all or part of the front terrace. I never remember there being any fencing on the old Witton terrace or it being officially given over to away fans only. Away fans would usually group together in their place of choice on the old witton terrace, maybe there would be a group of police nearby to make sure things didnt get out of hand.
Even  games against the dog shit in the late 60s with 40,000 plus would not be official segregation, local knuckle draggers would fill that end more than most visiting teams but the regular villa witton enders would still be amongst them with the usual favoured spot. 
I remember a game towards the end of 1968/69 at home to Derby, nearly 50,000 and the Witton lane terrace filled with the biggest away following I ever saw at VP.  An up and coming manager called Brian Clough taking them to promotion.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
Great memories, I was there too, Holte End left side of course !
Has anyone used that footballdvdsdirect website ?
Are they games just taped off the telly ?
If so I've got hundreds of them.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
Thanks for posting that.

The nucleus of the 76/77 League cup winning side, to me they were the best Villa side i've ever seen.

Amen to that

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 03:50:36 PM »
Bloody hell, seems like yesterday. Great times, great team and great to hear Hugh Johns again.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
Question for the, ahem, older posters as I was in nappies when that game was played.

I notice that the United fans had the Witton End for that game, but I've also seen games from the 70's where there were Villa fans in that end - and a mixture of away fans.   So, when did actual segregation officially kick in at Villa was there a watershed moment, or did it depend on the away team and the amount of fans visiting?  I presume once North Stand was built, that sealed the deal, as it were.

While there was still a Trinity Road Enclosure (great place to stand and watch a match from) it was possible to transfer from the Holte to the Enclosure for a small fee. You could then come out of the Enclosure into the Witton. This could have been perceived as making money out of hooliganism and stopped the need for people to cross the pitch or wait until the gates opened to infiltrate the opposition.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28:59 AM »
Cheers Andy it's nice to see clips of the Villa in action.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 04:24:37 PM »

I used to stand as a nipper in the Witton with my father right up until this Man Utd game. It was going off all over the Witton End that day, United fans hitting out and spitting on innocent Villa fans. We moved to the Holte after that but as already mentioned, the Witton was still mixed right up until they dug it up to build the North Stand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal