collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 02:06:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by chrisw1
[Today at 02:05:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:12 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Dave
[Today at 01:49:10 PM]

The Running thread by Richard E
[Today at 01:42:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:37:23 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 02:06:00 PM]

Re: John McGinn - signed (Captain) by chrisw1
[Today at 02:05:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:03:35 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 02:01:12 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by paul_e
[Today at 02:00:53 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:52:38 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 01:52:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:50:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our assistant ref for Saturday is.........  (Read 23634 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Our assistant ref for Saturday is.........
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
She should be afforded the same respect as any official. I.e. You are fine until you give a stinker against us and then you are a cock of the highest order.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:41 PM »
I agree that it would be better on her for her to be reintroduced at a lower league game without such high profile as the premiership, just to get her back into the game and then when the dust settles resume premier duties- I really wish her well on Saturday.

She has!

Delete this post please mods link leads to a virus (according to d.boy)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »
Blackpool - Coventry ! how will she make it home in time to get the dinner on ?

lol

her significant other takes the pre-prepared tupperware labelled '12th feb dins' out of the freezer and zaps it in the microwave?  I wish her well. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2011, 07:56:21 AM »
I remember the wife going on a cooking spree just before she went to Canada for a month. I think she believed I would spend that time wandering into the kitchen and looking bemused at why there was no food on the side.

Offline mozza

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:45 PM »
The assistant ref runs the bye-line on opposite side to the 'away' support at Bloomfield Road-

From what I have heard and seen Sian is a competent official and maybe one day will get
the opportunity of taking charge of a Premier match -

She certainly can't do worse than some I could name -   

Offline AV1874

• GM : Jul, 2012
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:46 PM »
I think it's all been blown out of proportion and I certainly don't like the professional match officials comment of looking for the opportunity to bring her back.

I've been crucified several times on high level matches, you get used to it and there are only certain people you listen to - your match assessor and your referee coaches, everyone elses opinion including the media means sweet FA.
You know the rules, you know your match fitness, you are there because you have proved yourself and I am sure Sian has that confidence in her to keep going regardless of what the greater unwashed in the stands (not all fans are unwashed, some are clean ;)) think of her and her decisions.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:16 PM »
The assistant ref runs the bye-line on opposite side to the 'away' support at Bloomfield Road-

From what I have heard and seen Sian is a competent official and maybe one day will get
the opportunity of taking charge of a Premier match -

She certainly can't do worse than some I could name -   

It's not necessarily as simple as that, Mozza. It is the referee who decides which 'diagonal' he will run when officiating a match and although most referees tend to run the 'left' diagonal as you describe above, which would mean the assistant referee (on that side of the pitch) runs along the northernmost half of the East Stand line at Bloomfield Road, with the away fans in the southernmost half of the East Stand. However, should the referee decide to run a 'right' or 'reverse' diagonal then the assistant referee would be immediately in front of the away fans on Saturday. Referees who choose the latter are in the minority but when I used to referee I ran a 'right' diagonal as I felt more comfortable in doing so and specifically in enabling me to better see the two assistant referees.

Offline AV1874

« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:37 PM »
I'm going to go slightly off topic and disagree with you that the "right" diagonal means you can see the assistants better, whichever diagonal you use, the area that you run is just opposite meaning you get as good a view as ever.
I am left handed and actually prefer the opposite diagonal but over here in Aus, unless the lines cannot be used, we are predominately right, whereas when I ran in teh UK we were encouraged to do both.

The format we use for positioning is left of ball with an emphasis on the ref - ball - AR where possible.

Anyway, I am digressing. Her line will also be affected as to whether or not she is allocated as AR 1 or AR2. :)

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
I'm going to go slightly off topic and disagree with you that the "right" diagonal means you can see the assistants better, whichever diagonal you use, the area that you run is just opposite meaning you get as good a view as ever.
I am left handed and actually prefer the opposite diagonal but over here in Aus, unless the lines cannot be used, we are predominately right, whereas when I ran in teh UK we were encouraged to do both.

The format we use for positioning is left of ball with an emphasis on the ref - ball - AR where possible.

Anyway, I am digressing. Her line will also be affected as to whether or not she is allocated as AR 1 or AR2. :)

Hi, AV1874. I probably didn't express myself as well as I could in the last sentence. Effectively, I was trying to say that it's a personal thing, not suggesting that you do actually have a better view. Funnily enough, I'm also left handed and I suspect that this has alot to do with my choice. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
May I just state that woman and football do not mix. Ever. Same as vegetarians and humanity.

Offline AV1874

« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »

Hi, AV1874. I probably didn't express myself as well as I could in the last sentence. Effectively, I was trying to say that it's a personal thing, not suggesting that you do actually have a better view. Funnily enough, I'm also left handed and I suspect that this has alot to do with my choice. 

No worries, I am like that too, I know what I am saying but what I type out usually doesn't resemble it in any way! :-)

I drive them nuts over here when I tell them I want left diagonal, they all look at me as if I am insane as left diagonal for AR's has never been really taught.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal