collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Walker and Delph  (Read 13768 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Walker and Delph
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »
As is common knowledge I'm no great fan of mon myself Malcolm, but your argument doesn't stand up in this case and until a fully fit delph has a long run in the team then we simply cannot say he was a bad buy from mon, he could well turn out to be a bargain.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
Actually I was trying to make a simple point that one player Walker has adopted easily and found hi,self in the England squad, whilst Delph, despite his price tag has not done much at all, and has shown me little that suggests he ever will, unless he gets his finger out.
Yet all I hear on here is the suggestion that Delph plays and he's the answer to all our midfield problems, whether it be with Makoun, Bannan, or any Tom Dick or Harry. I don't see it.
Walker on the other hand, as anyone reading the thread on his transfer is just a Spurs player, not much use, can't defend and so on. Yet he's just been called up for England.
As to the O'Neill point, very astute he did buy him at a huge cost and like many of the others once on the wage bill until Houllier did what Mon refused to, has not proved his worth.
But then I suppose on a site where the likes of Mon is idolised and the likes of Houllier is barracked and asked to quit, what more should I expect, especially from the playground monkeys with their bananas up their arses all day ;)
personally, i dont think walker deserves an england spot any more than delph does... both have had a few games in the top flight, and both have shown positive sides to their game that give a glimpse into their potential, and both have shown negative sides to their game that they need to work on...

walker plays in a position where england dont exactly have a huge quality pool to pick from, whereas delph plays in a position where we have favourites picked no matter how shit they are... and as he is just getting over a serious knee injury, and then subsequent knock from being brought back too early, its not exactly a surprise that he isnt picked... it is however, a surprise that walker has been picked...

the cost element is immaterial, as we havent purchased walker, so impossible to compare... especially as if we tried to buy him, i doubt we would pay less than what we did for fabian delph...

as mentioned before, both have potential, both have ability, and both have weaknesses... part and parcel of having young talent coming into the club...

dont get me wrong, i am not mon fan after his treatment of my club, but then again, i have my doubts about houllier too... and i dont like bananas...

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Actually I was trying to make a simple point that one player Walker has adopted easily and found hi,self in the England squad, whilst Delph, despite his price tag has not done much at all, and has shown me little that suggests he ever will, unless he gets his finger out.
Yet all I hear on here is the suggestion that Delph plays and he's the answer to all our midfield problems, whether it be with Makoun, Bannan, or any Tom Dick or Harry. I don't see it.
Walker on the other hand, as anyone reading the thread on his transfer is just a Spurs player, not much use, can't defend and so on. Yet he's just been called up for England.
As to the O'Neill point, very astute he did buy him at a huge cost and like many of the others once on the wage bill until Houllier did what Mon refused to, has not proved his worth.
But then I suppose on a site where the likes of Mon is idolised and the likes of Houllier is barracked and asked to quit, what more should I expect, especially from the playground monkeys with their bananas up their arses all day ;)

Quite difficult for Delph to really prove his worth when he's been injured for 9 months.

Offline Merv

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
But then I suppose on a site where the likes of Mon is idolised

Have you got the right site? Because I'm not seeing a lot of MON idolising on here!

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.... Walker is a young player who was signed by Spurs for a lot of money, couldn't get in the team, has been loaned out to a couple of teams, has made a bright start to his time at Villa. Delph is a young player who was signed by Villa for a lot of money, has a few first team chances last season, got a bad injury, has been feeling his way back.

They're both talented young prospects, and I'm really pleased we've got them both (for the time being at least with Walker).

Offline holtepaul

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
I must have been psychic.

I said to a guy at work on Saturday night - "the problem with Walker is I just can't see why the hell Spurs would sell him. To me he looks like when Micah Richards or Glen Johnson come on the scene, won't surprise me if he is in the next England Squad.

2 hours later.......

Lets face it, he wasn't that good on Saturday, but even then you could see his class.

Hope to god we can get him, but just can't see how.

re: above, I think it is harsh to say he is only picked because England have so few options. Try and buy glen Johnson and Micah Richards this summer and see how much change you get out of 50 million ?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:45:43 PM by holtepaul »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
I'm really glad we have got them aswell albiet walker on loan (hopefully he signs fulltime) i think they have got big futures in the game, Delph's been out a long time and now he's getting a few minor injuries but when he's fit i can see him being a really good player, and with Walker he is getting his first taste of the premiership so he is going out and enjoying playing his football and gaining experience along the way.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
re: above, I think it is harsh to say he is only picked because England have so few options. Try and buy glen Johnson and Micah Richards this summer and see how much change you get out of 50 million ?
i dont really take much notice of valuations... after all, andy carroll went for £35 million plus...

personally, i dont think that either johnson or richards are that good... certainly not international class, and like walker, suspect defensively...

dont get me wrong, im not putting a downer on walker, i like the way he plays, (but understand he has areas he needs to work on), but i honestly dont think he would be picked for england at his current standard, after so few top flight games, if england had more quality available...

i hope he gets purchased at the end of the season and progresses with us...

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
Walker is or will be too good to stay with us ..........  he will be the England right back.

Offline Ben H

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
Walker is or will be too good to stay with us ..........  he will be the England right back.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of clause in Walker's loan to let us buy him at the end of it?  Its never mentioned in any of the stories about him

Offline Mouse Potato

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
There isn't. Reading the Spurs forums, they reckon he will be their first choice right back next season.

Some of them were getting a bit agitated by the media refering to "Aston Villa's" Kyle Walker being selected for England. Knobs.

Offline Merv

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
You never know with Spurs.... if he's that good, why isn't he playing for them? He's barely got a look-in at Spurs and they've hardly got top-class right backs ahead of him; Hutton's okay, Corluka who's probably better at centre-back. Spurs have also got Kyle Naughton, similar age, and he's been loaned out. If they're in the CL again next season, I can see Harry buying an established senior RB instead for next season.

Only thing is, getting an England call-up will drive his price up if Spurs were willing to sell, which is a pain.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
Phil Neville.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
You never know with Spurs.... if he's that good, why isn't he playing for them? He's barely got a look-in at Spurs and they've hardly got top-class right backs ahead of him; Hutton's okay, Corluka who's probably better at centre-back. Spurs have also got Kyle Naughton, similar age, and he's been loaned out. If they're in the CL again next season, I can see Harry buying an established senior RB instead for next season.

Only thing is, getting an England call-up will drive his price up if Spurs were willing to sell, which is a pain.

For Spurs it is about their young players getting experience of high level football. Even the very best defenders have to go through a period of making mistakes through inexperience.

Spurs have been quite open about the fact that they are saving money through a strategy of scrapping their reserve team and sending their young players out on loan.

Offline Merv

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
Yeah, I know how loans work, thanks.....  ;)

Just pointing out it's not a given Spurs will keep Walker. Hutton was seen as a stand-in RB, he's been there all season and despite the extra football they've been playing - Champions League, etc - Walker hasn't even been used as back-up. So, he may have a future, he may not. If he's not first choice for Spurs next season, will he be happy being on the bench, or will he agitate for a move to us, if he's been given the encouragement that he'll be No.1? Not a foregone conclusion that he's out of reach just yet, I don't think.

Now - substitutions. How do they work?

Offline Ben H

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
Yeah, I know how loans work, thanks.....  ;)

Just pointing out it's not a given Spurs will keep Walker. Hutton was seen as a stand-in RB, he's been there all season and despite the extra football they've been playing - Champions League, etc - Walker hasn't even been used as back-up. So, he may have a future, he may not. If he's not first choice for Spurs next season, will he be happy being on the bench, or will he agitate for a move to us, if he's been given the encouragement that he'll be No.1? Not a foregone conclusion that he's out of reach just yet, I don't think.

Now - substitutions. How do they work?

Wasnt the reason he went to Spurs that Sheff Utd were looking to sell both as him and Naughton as a pair - bit like those supermarket deal - and it was Naughton Spurs were really after?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal