collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by chrisw1
[Today at 11:33:07 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 11:32:10 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:31:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 11:26:04 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:24:59 AM]

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 11:24:56 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:24:30 AM]

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 11:01:23 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Walker and Delph  (Read 13767 times)

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Walker and Delph
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08:45 PM »
From the glimpses I've seen of Delph there is a lot of promise.  It's understandable that people are looking forward to when that promise could be translated into moving Villa forward.  But nobody knows whether he's going down the Gordon Cowans route or the Stephen Ireland.  He is unproven and there's only one way to change that.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:37 PM »
I suspect that the point the original poster wanted to make was that one player was signed by O'Neill ( did you know he walked out on us 5 days before the season started?)  and his Villa career hasn't taken off yet and the other was brought in by Houllier. Think it was the managers he was trying to compare, not the players.

That is the point of every post he makes.

I'm happy to see Walker try to help us out of a hole this season but it boils my piss that we're supporting Spurs' strategy of scrapping their reserve team and using loan deals to give their youth players experience.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
You are comparing Walker who has played the first half the season in the best team in the championship to Delph who has been injured for a year.

Delph was underused before his injury by Martin. Now he is fit he will play a part.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
Is there an option to buy Walker at the end of the season?

As i can't remember reading anything that said it was a loan with a view to a permanent deal. Really hope we can,but sure he'll be in the Spurs team after the summer.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
No option to buy as spurs rate him highly and he's only here for premiership experience, doesn't stop us making a bid but people who think we'd get him for around £5m had better start to think double that.

I agree that he will probably start in spurs 1st team next season but at least he's helped us out of a hole being here.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
If things continue to go well, I can see Walker telling Spurs he wants to stay.

Offline eastie

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
I'm sure walker would like to stay but will spurs sell and will we match their valuation us the key question- it will be expensive that's for sure and a young attacking England international full back like him will cost a lot knowing spurs.I'd be amazed if we got him less than £10m.

Remember how much glen Johnson went for?

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
Chewing gum face is gonna want silly money for Walker. Hutton is shit so he will want him back anyway .......

Offline sfx412

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
Actually I was trying to make a simple point that one player Walker has adopted easily and found hi,self in the England squad, whilst Delph, despite his price tag has not done much at all, and has shown me little that suggests he ever will, unless he gets his finger out.
Yet all I hear on here is the suggestion that Delph plays and he's the answer to all our midfield problems, whether it be with Makoun, Bannan, or any Tom Dick or Harry. I don't see it.
Walker on the other hand, as anyone reading the thread on his transfer is just a Spurs player, not much use, can't defend and so on. Yet he's just been called up for England.
As to the O'Neill point, very astute he did buy him at a huge cost and like many of the others once on the wage bill until Houllier did what Mon refused to, has not proved his worth.
But then I suppose on a site where the likes of Mon is idolised and the likes of Houllier is barracked and asked to quit, what more should I expect, especially from the playground monkeys with their bananas up their arses all day ;)

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 04:15:12 PM »
Like I said, you're just trying out a different angle to criticise all things O'Neill.

Which is fair enough, but you're beginning to sound like someone who's been dumped by a lass and is trying to convince anyone who'll listen that you always hated her.

Keep it up though because you do provide mild entertainment value in an otherwise dull day at work

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2011, 04:16:51 PM »
That's a shame,as he's gonna become a great player. I remember we were linked with him before Spurs got him,we were probably too busy buying someone who would never play.

Offline eastie

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
Delph hasn't had the chance to prove himself Malcolm mainly because of his long term injury and fitness problems since, until he gets a run in the team fully fit we cannot really criticise or praise him to any level of certainty- what I've seen suggests he will be a great asset but we need to give him time.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
For such a supposedly simple point you don't half make a meal of trying to explain it.

If we sign Walker, and the chances are that we won't, his price tag will probably exceed that of Delph so the money argument is of no consequence.

Anyone without an agenda will look at the two and conclude that they both have potential, have both shown in flashes that they have ability and at other times that they still have a lot to learn. Then, if they were a Villa fan, you'd expect them to be hoping that the one who belongs to us does make it rather than using it as yet another opportunity to pursue a tiresome campaign to denigrate the man who signed him.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
Anyone without an agenda

Anybody without the banana/arse agenda.  ;)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
Mon is idolised and the likes of Houllier is barracked and asked to quit

Although I'm far from wanting Gezza to quit, looking at the respective results under each manager, does that not at least suggest those that do have a point?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal