collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Walker and Delph  (Read 13765 times)

Offline sfx412

Walker and Delph
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
Not that Walker is ours yet, or that he's had much chance to impress, but being picked for England is no mean achievement for a bloke some fans seem to think can't defend or as some said when he joined 'is shit'.
He offers plenty to the side apart from his goals, his ability on the ball is a great escape avenue for team members under pressure and he looks very safe when he has it. As Houllier says he's got plenty to learn and as long as Spurs don't take him back could be a useful addition, he's certainly in a different class to some of the past alternatives we've taken on in the last 4 seasons in that right back berth.
Delph on the other hand seems to be in many eyes near Legend standard, which for a bloke with so much talent and prospects is in my view a tad generous for a player who tends to get injured by his over zealous tackles to say nothing of his penchant for picking up bookings. He has rarely offered anything like Walker has in the few games he's played and has not reached anything like the form he had at Leeds.
When you consider the sterling work, players like Bannan have done, I wonder if he could like many others bought for large sums may be some time developing into the legend some suggest and perhaps upstaged by others.
I did like the way he played at Leeds, he's plenty of talent and ability, but, injuries aside when will he show it. He's had chances and has not taken them. Here's hoping he does soon, we surely need the form he showed for Leeds in a Villa shirt when he gets his next chance.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Walker and Delph
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:22 PM »
Who has said Delph is a legend? Or 'near' legend status? :-s

Offline Merv

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what Delph can do when he's fit again and has a run of games.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
Walker looks o.k to me, if Spurs want 5m for him then I'd pay that as he can only improve.

I agree Delph has a bit to prove at prem level and it's OTT to hype him up as some wonder midfielder. Would like to see him get a few chances before the season is out, can't believe we rushed him back for the Spurs game which then took him out for another month.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »

The voices Malcolm hears.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »
Delph on the other hand seems to be in many eyes near Legend standard

Grade A bollocks from the legend of talking bollocks.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »

Not my point but its good fodder for the playground bullies I'm sure :)

Offline sfx412

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »

My point exactly lol's

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:00:35 PM »

My point exactly lol's

Your point is that you're proud that you talk bollocks?  Unusual.

You do seem to have a been in your bonnet about putting down Delph though.  Did he p*ss in your cornflakes once?  He's unproven at this level yes, but his appearences have been promising and he has earned a chance. 

To say however, anybody is under the impression he is a legend is Grade A bollocks copyright Malcolm Overall.

Have I made myself more clear now?

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:15 PM »
its been a bit difficult for delph to show his talents consistantly, considering he got injured in training, and was then rushed back by the manager because the manager was so excited to see what he could do...

i dont think delph has let the side down in any of his appearances, and has shown his ability, albeit not consistantly... which is as expected of a young player making a huge step up...

me personally, i like what i have seen of him, and i do think that he could become a top quality midfielder... there are certainly negative sides to his game that he needs to work on, but there are also huge positives also.. just like walker...

i hope both of them fulfill their potential at the villa and are here for a while...

Offline eastie

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
Delphs villa career hasn't really taken off yet and he needs a good run in the team when fully fit to see what he can do. We can't really judge him on his Leeds form as that was at a lower level- I have high hopes for him but I don't think anyone sees him as anything like a legend at this stage.

Walker will be a top class right back for many years but I'd be amazed if spurs could be tempted to sell him , and even then I expect they would be looking at nearer £10m than £5m.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:13:46 PM by eastie »

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
The big difference with Walker and Delph is one came here with big expectations on him and the other arrived without the same excitement.  Although Delph has done nothing to dispel such hope for his future, so I suppose you could argue he gets a disproportionate amount of focus in comparison to Walker, who's probably done more in his few games for us.   

Both look like top players in the making and I hope they both get there - with Villa!

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »

Not my point but its good fodder for the playground bullies I'm sure :)

You really don't give up do you?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »
I suspect that the point the original poster wanted to make was that one player was signed by O'Neill ( did you know he walked out on us 5 days before the season started?)  and his Villa career hasn't taken off yet and the other was brought in by Houllier. Think it was the managers he was trying to compare, not the players.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
W

The voices Malcolm hears.

The same ones that said Walker is shit.

Both players have a chance to make it, neither has yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal