collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Win a penalty!  (Read 3832 times)

Offline stevenavfc

Win a penalty!
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:18 PM »
I have posted before regarding rubbish penalties awarded by rubbish refs. You can see plenty of examples on MOTD every week. What has driven me to start again?

John Motson in commentary, " if he felt any contact at all, he is entitled to go down"  (Carew for Stoke)

This just about sums up how the law regarding penalties has evolved in some peoples minds. A penalty is not awarded for creativity.
The fairness and balance of defender v attacker has changed for the worse and games are too often influenced by them.

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Win a penalty!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
I keep hearing commentators chuntering about "the Italian system" whereby you can give retrospective bans for diving twats.  I'm in favour of this as it would probably see Petrov being suspended more often than not, oh and Young as well but you gotta take the rough with the smooth.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
I noticed Motson's remark as well: basically encouraging cheating! Retrospective bans for unfair play seems fair enough to me. It would take some pressure off the officials as well.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:54:52 PM »
Agree 100%.  I didn't know the Italians did that, it's something I've been talking about for ages.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »
Problem is that 'unfair play' is quite broad.  Its difficult to pin down whether for instance someone is diving to gain an advantage or attempting to avoid a challenge or even their momentum making them stumble.  I'm not sure i would be in favour, most people would struggle to field a team week in week out if they handed out bans for all, and do you really think the man uniteds and chelseas of the league would be punished as often as anyone else?

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
I am not suggesting bans willy nilly, just saddened that judgement and perception has changed too much.
When a defender has his foot on the ground and the offensive player moves unnaturally to ensure contact which then justifies some offence, I think it is nigh impossible for the referee to get these 100% right. These are the ones that should be looked at again. 
Over time things have changed and things that once were acceptable wouldn't be tolerated now, mostly quite rightly. Just feel the balance has shifted too far.

Offline Tony

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:19:52 PM »
There was an incident yesterday where Downing, I think it was, dived over a defenders leg, if he doesn't dive over it, he gets tripped, if he does dive over it and the defender gains advantage, it's a free kick to them, even though the defender has clearly impeded the attacker. I think that's what Motson is getting at.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »
Prime example at Ibrox today. Bloke knocks the ball past the keeper and runs into him.

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
I thought Motson commentated on the Spurs/Bolton game yesterday ?

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
the basis of the idea is that it will discourage cheating and players won't be getting baned for diving, because they won't dive!

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
I thought Motson commentated on the Spurs/Bolton game yesterday ?

He did, yeah. I think it's a case of mistaken identity.

Offline stevenavfc

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Yep my mistake and apologies to Motson, was it Guy Mowbary? Still feel the same whoever it was

Offline SteveD

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDci33GGzE

Talking of penalties, some of the refs in the Premier are bad, but in no way as bad as the official at this FA Trophy game at the weekend...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal