collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 5 VILLANS in England Squad...and then 4 !!  (Read 27947 times)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: 5 VILLANS in England Squad
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
3 Villa academy players in the squad (pfft, Barry counts!)

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
Looks like Bent has got the #9 shirt

Darren Bent has been tipped to star for England this week, with Three Lions boss Fabio Capello insisting he has seen a marked improvement in the striker since his record move to Villa.

The 27-year-old hotshot has made a superb start to life in claret and blue, with two goals in four appearances following his switch from Sunderland.

Bent was an unlucky omission from last summer's World Cup squad, with Wayne Rooney, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey and Peter Crouch selected in the four forward spots.

But Capello believes Bent has made massive strides since then - and he is likely to pair the Villa striker with Rooney for Wednesday night's friendly in Denmark.

"Bent was not as good before the World Cup as he is at this moment," said the Italian. "He was not the same player.

"I went to see Aston Villa twice. It is completely different. Before he was only playing for the box. Now, he is a player who can play for the team.

"At Sunderland before, it was important for them to go straight for the goal.

"I told him he had to change. He had to work a lot, press a lot.

"He has probably changed something in his mind, not only in his style."

Bent scored his first international goal in the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland in September and now Capello is keen to see whether he can form a potent partnership with Manchester United ace Rooney.

"Every time I have picked him he has always been injured," said Capello.

"But I want to see him with Rooney because everyone knows he is terrible for defenders in the box.

"He takes up good positions, he gets the ball. He scores."

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 01:19:50 PM »
How many of them truly deserve this call up?

Bent - Yes. Downing, Young and Walker - Maybe. Gabby - Never in a million years.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »
Good to see that Capello thinks the same as many on here about his overall game. I wonder if the journos knocking his 'limited' game and praising Carroll's 'all-round' style will disagree with Capello? Because they're in such a better position to know.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
Hopefully they all stay on the bench and have a nice rest instead of wasting their time playing for that shower.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:47 PM »
Well done to all the Villa players, let's hope they come back without any injuries.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 02:18:49 PM »
Makes you wonder with so may internationals why we're languishing at the wrong end of the table.

Given how crap England are, it seems entirely logical to me.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 03:03:36 PM »
Blackpool presumably have very few players on international duty. Could bf a game for cuellar, heskey, NRC to start, plus whoever is freshest following mid week games. Which I don't expect to include stan!

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »

Bent - Yes. Downing, Young and Walker - Maybe. Gabby - Never in a million years.

none of them,
Downing, and Young not good enough, Walker needs more time and experience,
Gabby's not good enough for the Villa team never mind England

Bent is great in the prem where the game is more about Physical strength, and getting on the end of long balls and crosses,
at international level you need to have more technical ability and ball control, and it helps if you have a decent first touch, which Bent doesnt have.

anyway i support England when they play,
 but i think it does some players more harm than good, Bent i feel will be one of them, i wont be disapointed if he doesnt play for England and concentrates on Villa only

Offline Lobsterboy

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
So we have 5 on England duty, another 3 or 4 on U21 England duty plus several away with Scotland, Ireland and Bulgaria?

Great.

As pleased as I am for them all I am more concerned with how many of them come back 100% fit as all the international matches this week are merely providing an unwanted distraction before the match with Blackpool.

Apart from Adam I am sure they won't have a single first team player away on international duty this week... unless Marlon gets shock call up!

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
I see Gerrard has pulled out of the friendly despite managing to play the whole game today....tosser.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »

none of them,
Downing, and Young not good enough, Walker needs more time and experience,
Gabby's not good enough for the Villa team never mind England

Bent is great in the prem where the game is more about Physical strength, and getting on the end of long balls and crosses,
at international level you need to have more technical ability and ball control, and it helps if you have a decent first touch, which Bent doesnt have.
So which of these brilliant technical strikers should Capello have picked ahead of him?

And which wide players should be taking Young and Downing's places in the squad?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 08:41:15 PM »
Makes you wonder with so may internationals why we're languishing at the wrong end of the table.

Given how crap England are, it seems entirely logical to me.

This man speaks the truth.

Not crazy about Walker getting a call up. Not because he doesn't deserve it, but it might make any future deal nigh on impossible. Some crazy £12-14 million valuation from Levy in the summer beckons.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Gabby has not reported for England this evening for personal reasons.

Offline Lobsterboy

Re: 5 VILLANS in England Squad...and then 4 !!
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Gabby has not reported for England this evening for personal reasons.

Saw that on BBC teletext earlier; anyone any indication what these 'personal reasons' are? And will they prevent him turning out v Blackpool?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal