collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is the service???  (Read 18538 times)

Offline tarzansbrother

Re: Where is the service???
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2011, 11:31:24 AM »
Chris can you explain what Gabby,Young did in the second half? Young had one shanked shot wide and got a free kick. The fastest i saw Gabby run was when he was subbed. I fully expect Young to provide a spark or create that Merson type magic, sadly apart from a few well taken pens i see nothing.

We didn't play well in the second half but that was with Ashley down the middle for some of it and out wide for some of it. We played well in the first half when he was down the middle. This suggests to me that the issue is elsewhere in the team. My feeling is that it about getting the right balance behind them and being able to defend a lead.

Think back to games against Man City, Wigan and Manu and think again about Ashley contributing "nothing" as he had a direct hand in goals in all 3.

One flash of decent football aint enough Chris. Cant remember the last MOM perfromance by him. Needed him to step up yesterday and he didnt. Maybe harsh but all i saw yesterday was a typical Young performance and the normal yellow card.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
Ash doesn't score enough goals for him to remain as the second striker in my view

Agreed and by playing him there and Gabby on the left wing we're stuffing up that position too.

I actually feel quite sorry for Gabby (it's all relative - he's still playing football for a living and earning millions every year on the back of it!) - he's being asked to play completely out of position as a right footed player on the left wing.  It's clear it's affecting his confidence and I'm watching him change from one of our brightest stars to a new Stephan Moore as each week passes.  I can't see GH either dropping Bent or playing a straight 442 so I can only see this ending in Gabby leaving for a fairly crap fee.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
Sunderland fans said that Bent's at his best when the play comes through the middle. IDK much about Bradley but we don't have anyone to do that at the moment. So I think that's why we're seeing Ash off the front.

Gabby's work rate helps Clark out too. And his pace can exploit the gaps inbetween the fullback and centre half.

Offline eastie

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
But ash was playing that role before bent came in any case, I would say he is better on the wing as well but maybe houllier is trying gabby there to see if he can fill that role as part of assessing his squad and future needs.

Gabby needs to improve his finishing and hopefully he will learn from bent.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:11:36 PM by eastie »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Chris can you explain what Gabby,Young did in the second half? Young had one shanked shot wide and got a free kick. The fastest i saw Gabby run was when he was subbed. I fully expect Young to provide a spark or create that Merson type magic, sadly apart from a few well taken pens i see nothing.

We didn't play well in the second half but that was with Ashley down the middle for some of it and out wide for some of it. We played well in the first half when he was down the middle. This suggests to me that the issue is elsewhere in the team. My feeling is that it about getting the right balance behind them and being able to defend a lead.

Think back to games against Man City, Wigan and Manu and think again about Ashley contributing "nothing" as he had a direct hand in goals in all 3.

Which ever way you look at it, we're just not creating enough chances. Something has to change.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2011, 01:32:33 PM »
The system perhaps.
If opposition fill the midfield especially at VP then we are generally done with Houlliers tactics.
If you want winders go and watch some other side, Houllier and wingers, unlikely. For all the ball they got Bent, Gabby and Young were under used, simply because his negative tactics to hold the ball failed as they had more in midfield. It got worse when Makoun, Downing and especially Petrov tired.
Its great holding on to the ball but when mostly it results in passes back to keeper or cb's who tend to give it to the opposition because we have no real target man, its pointless.
Makoun distributes quickly but then the ball rarely gets put at the feet of Downing or Young, both of whom at least get free kicks if not crosses in.
Albrightons no answer as he's off form, I don't see Bradley being the panacea some keep ranting on about, just like Bannan, who gets muscled out of games.
Perhaps going 2 up front with 2/3 behind will be the answer. It might help the defence to cut out the crosses we are so weak at cutting out too.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
Albrightons no answer as he's off form, I don't see Bradley being the panacea some keep ranting on about, just like Bannan, who gets muscled out of games.

You know it's funny, I don't think I've ever actually seen that happen. I've seen him tire and misplace passes, but get muscled out? No actually. Maybe if people keep saying it's a problem it will be a problem, because it looks like it should be, doesn't it? However, there is no evidence to suggest Bannan loses more one-on-one tussles than any other player - in fact, he probably wins more with his quick feet enabling him to get out of trouble with the ball (now I've seen that happen many, many times).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Young and Albrighton back playing on the wings.

Problem solved.

Short term I'd agree with this. I'd try Downing in the hole as he's reasonably quick and decent on the ball and he has a good shot on him.

The problem is we have players who can cross but too often we lack composure and intelligence when they players get in decent positions. I wish sometimes rather than just whacking it in, they'd take an extra second, look up and see where Bent is.

Two examples in the second half, Walker goes on a great run down the right beating a few men, gets to the byline and then all the good walk goes to waste as he skies it into the Holte. Another time I think it was Downing, again goes down the right, Bent's pulled away from his marker, is free and needs a simple cross and Downing hits it 10ft in the air and over his head!

More composure needed. We do have creative players but they don't think enough when they get in the threatening positions.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal