collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 01:16:45 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:15:51 PM]

Liverpool by johnc
[Today at 01:07:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by usav
[Today at 01:06:19 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by usav
[Today at 01:04:35 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by chrisw1
[Today at 12:55:25 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by chrisw1
[Today at 12:51:41 PM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:44:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is the service???  (Read 18549 times)

Offline Holtenderinthesky

Where is the service???
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »
As much as I love having Darren Bent at the club it has become obvious to me that if he does not get the required service then his chances will be limited and therefore may not get the goals we know he is capable of.  Have we criticised Carew, Heskey and Gabby too much for not scoring when the service at times (mostly) is bloody awful?  Take today for example, Bent was left chasing lost causes due to piss poor attempted through balls from Ashley Young and every time Downing had a chance to slip it through or cross he seemed to go for goal.  I know that Bent is a top finisher and we definitely could do with one of those but only IF we get him the service.  So, where is that service going to come from?  Bannan would be an obvious choice but has seemingly gone missing and Delph seems to have disappeared too.  Is it a question of getting Downing and Ash in their proper positions?  How are we going to get Bent involved in the right areas?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Re: Where is the service???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:05:33 PM »
Absolutely.

Today we missed the incisiveness of Albrighton and I think Bannan could add a dimension we lack from central midfield. Ironically, the three wingers system is actually making us LESS creative!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
Bannan especially has to play. Easily our brightest and best technical player in central areas in the final third. I can't imagine that, when GH wanted to change things, he looked along the bench, saw Pires and thought "good selection, Gerard" to himself.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
Young's crossing has been awful for ages now, Downing is hit and miss with his crossing, Agbonlahor is just shit and isn't a left winger so provides nothing. Even Walker was getting in on the act today, his crossing was poor aswell. As for general creativity from midfield, there isn't any and hasn't been for years.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
It will be fine after a full pre-season/we sign Messi.

This allows me a supplementary question: how many Indian restaurants are there in Palma, and which are the best? (Will be on a three-day piss-up on from the 28th Feb)

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »
We definately need creativity in the middle. The play is far too predictable and easy to counter when you have 3 wingers.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
Young's crossing has been awful for ages now, Downing is hit and miss with his crossing, Agbonlahor is just shit and isn't a left winger so provides nothing.

Agree with the Ash Young comment and that Agbonlahor isn't a left winger, but saying 'he is just shit' isn't exactly fair. To be fair, he has been injured and then when played has been played out of position alot this season. I totally disagree with he's just shit

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »

This allows me a supplementary question: how many Indian restaurants are there in Palma, and which are the best? (Will be on a three-day piss-up on from the 28th Feb)

There are a plethora of Indian restaurants here but the best, by far, is one called Namaste and the address is Torrente, 5 just off the Paseo Maritimo and behind an "Irish" pub called the Shamrock.  The best Indian food I have eaten in years.  I love it.  Hmm, you've given me an idea!

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
Young and Albrighton back playing on the wings.

Problem solved.

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »
Young's crossing has been awful for ages now, Downing is hit and miss with his crossing, Agbonlahor is just shit and isn't a left winger so provides nothing.

Agree with the Ash Young comment and that Agbonlahor isn't a left winger, but saying 'he is just shit' isn't exactly fair. To be fair, he has been injured and then when played has been played out of position alot this season. I totally disagree with he's just shit
Fair enough thats your opinion but even as a striker i always said Agbonlahor is a very average and limited footballer with very little actual football ability and no footballing brain what so ever. A striker with a brain could easily play on the left wing, it's not like he's playing full back or in goal, but he looks lost.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
I think it is time to shift AY back to the wing aswell and bring Bannan back in he can be the key that opens the door for Bent to score.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »

Fair enough thats your opinion but even as a striker i always said Agbonlahor is a very average and limited footballer with very little actual football ability and no footballing brain what so ever. A striker with a brain could easily play on the left wing, it's not like he's playing full back or in goal, but he looks lost.
He hasnt got a football brain ill give you that. But his position is striker where he sprints and scares the shit out of defenders. 1 on 1's dont work but he can occasionally finish and i think he's above average

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »

Palma Majorca? If so, Baisakhi on the sea front (Paseo Maritimo).

Offline villa_cads

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »

Problem solved.

Agreed. And Gabby up front please. Just 442, simple as that.

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »

Problem solved.

Agreed. And Gabby up front please. Just 442, simple as that.

But with who as the 2 in the middle?  Makoun and ...?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal