collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eric Lichaj  (Read 6557 times)

Offline swiftyelvis

Eric Lichaj
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
I'm a Villa fan from Birmingham, who currently lives in San Francisco. I have an American friend who is a big 'soccer' fan, he follows the EPL, tracking the American players progress. He is very upset at Villa's handling of Lichaj, whohe feels was unfairly dropped after one bad game.

I'm interested in people's opinion of Lichaj, is he any good, anyone seen him play in the reserves, does he have a shot of making it, worse then Walker, etc ? It would maybe enable me to defend our club.

BTW - he thinks Bradley is going to be a superstar in the EPL.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Re: Eric Lichaj
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:01:15 PM »
I think Lichaj has a decent reputation among Villa fans - he did well in the main against Gareth Bale, say - but at the moment he's being used as cover more than a first team prospect because Kyle Walker's come in and done very well. There's a healthy competition amongst our defence and Lichaj is being used in rotation so if your friend can't see that he's a decent squad player in a competitive league then I'd tell him to sod off.

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
i thought he could play at left

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:11 PM »
i thought he could play at left back , would try him there instead of clark

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
personally, i have never been that impressed with lichaj.. he is a solid enough player, but he doesnt stand out for me, and hasnt ever for the reserves either...

walker is by far a superior all round footballer, and tbh, im surprised that lichaj was given a new contract... although i was also surprised that hogg and herd have too, as i dont rate them that highly either...

i think in a few years time, we may see him at either a lower end of the prem club, or somewhere in the championship...

Offline mozza

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:08:55 PM »
Don't worry too much about Eric ...........he appears to have the right temperament
to make a career for himself over here

I've watched him regularly for possibly three years now and he reminds me of an
all time favourite from the late 1960's John Gidman

Not only does the lad resemble him in stature but relishes going forward and
beating players with pace and getting a cross or shot at goal

The scouting staff of KMac & Gordon Cowans think highly of him and I'm sure he
will get another chance in the first team before too long     

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »
personally, i have never been that impressed with lichaj.. he is a solid enough player, but he doesnt stand out for me, and hasnt ever for the reserves either...

Have you ever known a good full back to stand out? It is one of these positions where slow and steady wins the race. The only right back I remember standing out recently is Glen Johnson with his attacking intent and ability to cut inside and score and that comes at the expense of the defensive diligence and intelligence necessary to play full back. Lichaj has that at least.

After a bright start I'm starting to get a bit concerned with Walker.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:36:53 PM »
He had a super games vs Spurs & nearly drew us level, but was exposed away at Man City.  Looks a great prospect for us in the years to come with the right coaching & devleopment.

Offline RogerS

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
I'm a Villa fan from Birmingham, who currently lives in San Francisco. I have an American friend who is a big 'soccer' fan, he follows the EPL, tracking the American players progress. He is very upset at Villa's handling of Lichaj, whohe feels was unfairly dropped after one bad game.

I'm interested in people's opinion of Lichaj, is he any good, anyone seen him play in the reserves, does he have a shot of making it, worse then Walker, etc ? It would maybe enable me to defend our club.

BTW - he thinks Bradley is going to be a superstar in the EPL.

Yea! Another California based Villain!  Swiftyelvis, can I suggest you drop an email to Rick Leong at avfc.california.com? Rick runs AVFC California which is linked officially to the Aston Villa Lions Clubs, globally. We have quite a few Villans here...a lot located in the Bay area, and a few down here in the L.A. and San Diego areas.  We try to meet up on a local basis to watch televised games. The San Fran lads get together at the Kevar (?) Pub to watch, and I try to get folks together at the Olde Ship Pub in Santa Ana.

You should hook up with us...it's free to join, and we exchange email on a regular basis. We need all the Villa support we can get over here! 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
Eric's very promising. I think he is second choice right back behind Walker and Beye and Luke Young will be off in the Summer.

Offline eastie

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 08:27:15 PM »
Still developing but has theakings of a decent full back- his time and chance will come again.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »
I like Eric, he's showed great confidence and belief in the games I've seen so far.  More development and experience and we'll have a good player.  He just has to be patient.

Offline RogerS

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »
During the Peace Cup in the pre-season before the 2009-2010 season I thought Lichaj was one of the 'stand out' players. As others have said, I think the lad has a bright future with the club. He's only a youngster and is still learning his trade. But he has some excellent mentors within the club.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
Yup, he's not pulled up any trees, but give him time, would probably benefit from a loan spell at a good championship outfit.  I was quite suprised not to see him loaned out after we signed Walker as Cuellar doesn't seem to be able to get a look in and only plays at RB.  Seems to get sucked in to the middle more than he should, but he just needs more game time.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
If Lichaj works his bollocks off he'll be a part of this club for a good while. I think having him and Walker we have two different but potentially very good international quality players. GH has he'll rotate and Lichaj, if he's dedicated will get plenty of playing time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal