collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: widemen  (Read 3775 times)

Offline spirit of 82

widemen
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
GH has this annoying tactic of playing our widemen on the opposite wings,not only does it mean they are constantly checking back inside which narrows the play,it also means that the general standard of our crossing is not as good as it should be,even more important now as we  look to have someone who is capable of getting on to a decent cross.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: widemen
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Flipping it round though, it means they are in better positions to cut in and thread through balls, which is what Bent thrives on more, and can bring the more dangerous ball across the box when delivered well towards the back post. I don't think it is a tactic to keep them there, but rotating them round is certainly something that keeps full backs occupied. I can see the point, just don't think we execute it that well at the moment.

Offline spirit of 82

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
I agree but the current qualityof delivery is not what it should be,I also think that when we play 4 4 2 with 2 widemen
our remaining midfield is under pressure as generally the wide players dont get involved in defensive duties .

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
To be honest Downing's ball to Bent for the goal was a damn good cross and that was with his weaker foot so I don't think it's anything much to worry about. Also flipping them around in games and indeed between games is great as it leaves the full-backs confused and constantly having to change their game to suit who they're marking at one particular time.

Once upon a time we did the rotation between LW, RW, AND CAM with Downing, Milner, and Young really effectively; and I think Houllier will try to emulate that. Particularly now with Darren Bent in the team I really feel it suits our counter-attacking style and at the very least our quick forwards.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »
I dont get this playing players out of position - when you dont have to.

One thing all teams hate playing against is pace - which we have in abundance but don't use properly.

For me Downing has to be on the left and i would play ashley on the right as he doesnt cut it for me playing in the middle, too much fannying about for me.

It cant be that hard for them to coach our wide men, to just kick it past the opponent and then run really fast towards the goal

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
What the feck is this thread doing in here?!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »
Moved to HD.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Playing Downing on the right where he cuts in gives Walker space to get forward! I think if Houllier gets more similar kind of left back in the summer you'll see Albighton/Young on the wing.

I think we can only play with two from Young, Albrighton and Downing, (unless Downing plays centrally)

For me Ashley Young isn't half as effective playing in the free role/secondary striker as he does wide as he doesn't have as many options of where to pass. Get him wide left, Downing right, and play Albrighton from the bench if need be or even give Downing/Young a rest every now and then.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
   Neither Bent or Gabby play well in a 4-4-2.

GH is trying to play a system whereby the 2 wide players keep the game stretched, and contribute by creating chances, and scoring them.If you like inside fowards.

The other thing is when did AYoung actually create a goal by a good cross.Albrighton puts 2/3 great crosses in every game, and 2 out of the last 3 goals have come from Downings crosses.

The kind of players we need in this system is a Bellamy kind of player.If Gabby does'nt develop in his current position, then i can see him being nothing more than a sub, and players like Honda, or Scott Sinclair coming in to play that role.

I like the system that GH is trying to bring in, and when he gets the opportunity to bring more of his own players in, then i think we will see the benefit.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:33:33 PM »
As a question.

Why do our wingers NEVER go to the bye line.

Presumably because they're on the wrong foot.

Surely it's predictable to the opposition?

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »

To be fair MF, Downing does.

All of our decent attacks on sat were down our right.Even when AYoung went there the service was minimal.

Compare the delivery by Larsson on sun, to any of AYoungs free kicks in the last 2 years.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Didn't Downing cross with the outside of his left boot?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »
I tend to agree, but it's definitely an increasing prevalence amongst managers to play wingers on the wrong side - look at Citeh for example, with Adam Johnson on the right; or Bayern, with Robben and Ribery. Most sides at least rotate - eg Man Utd, Spurs.

I still think Downing and Albrighton are better on their natural sides though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal