collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AYoung and Downing.......good enough?  (Read 7154 times)

Offline barrysleftfoot

AYoung and Downing.......good enough?
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »

Observations please, heres my two pennenth.

GH likes the system of either 1 holding midfielder, with 2 passers, and 3 , attackers, or 2 holding midfielder, with 3 attacking midfielders and 1 striker.

Now i like that system, and bearing in mind it suits Bent, it is probably the system we should play.But the system relies on supporting runs from midfield, and more importantly, creating chances from midfield.

The 1st system needs Bent up top, with 2 , if you like inside fowards playing alongside, lastnight that was Albrighton , and AYoung, with Downing offering support as well.

But against opposition we have to judge ourselves against, do they look a goal threat, and do they create enough?

I have my doubts about AYoung and Downing, but not Albrighton.I just wonder if Ash and Downing are going to get better, or going to create/score enough from these roles.

Offline luke25

Re: AYoung and Downing.......good enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
Young is never a second striker, Im pretty sure he has'nt scored from open play for us while playing that role, even Jonathon Spector has 3 from open play while playing there as a last resort for Westham, Downing has to play on the left and the left only, I like him as a player but he's so one footed, in fact both of there natural positions are left wingers so we'd be better off playing one or the other

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:53:31 PM »
Oh joy. Another thread about ash/downing/petrov. Just what we need.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »

Feel free to start a mor interestingtopic yourself then.

Watched last nights game, we had 55% of the ball, and yet they created more chances.Its AYoung, Downing and Albrightons job to create chances......go figure.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »

Feel free to start a mor interestingtopic yourself then.

Watched last nights game, we had 55% of the ball, and yet they created more chances.Its AYoung, Downing and Albrightons job to create chances......go figure.

They have better players than we do. Their forwards are better than ours. Their defenders are better than ours. Judging us against one of the best sides in Europe is not a reasonable comaprison.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
We all have differeing opinions on players and it provides debate- however after seeing Barry Bannon dominate the midfield against Blackburn in the Cup I am of the opinion he should be an automatic choice week in, week out, and should replace Downing- there, I said it.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
We all have differeing opinions on players and it provides debate- however after seeing Barry Bannon dominate the midfield against Blackburn in the Cup I am of the opinion he should be an automatic choice week in, week out, and should replace Downing- there, I said it.

I think we're handling Bannan just fine. I don't think he's ready to play every week, he's got a lot of ability but he needs to be managed and allowed to develop without over playing him.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »

Bannon dominate against Blackburn? Man Utd are an entirely different proposiion to the midfield of Blackburn.
According to your logic if someone else has a good game in the next match they should be an automatic choice week in week out.

Also Downing has been our best midfielder this season in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:16:24 PM by manic-road »

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »

Thats the 1st time they have beat us in the Lge in 2 years though Chris.They are not that much better, they are a better team but i'm not sure the gap is as big as you intimate.

We now have a goal scorer , supply him and he will score.My thought s are that if AYoung and Downing can't do it, then maybe we need to find some who can.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
There's a reason Man U are 29 games unbeaten, or whatever the number is. It's not an accident and they've avoided defeat against far better sides than us. Trying to pick holes in last nights display isn't fair on the progress that is being made at the club. I don't expect us to be competing at their level for a while, but I expect that the decisions being made are helping us along that path, both from a short and long term strategy. I'd be delighted to be at Spurs' level in the next two years, let alone Man U.

And to target two of our players makes no sense at all.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:30:23 PM »

Thats the 1st time they have beat us in the Lge in 2 years though Chris.They are not that much better, they are a better team but i'm not sure the gap is as big as you intimate.

We now have a goal scorer , supply him and he will score.My thought s are that if AYoung and Downing can't do it, then maybe we need to find some who can.

We did make chances and a goal through Young and Downing combining but we're a side who a couple of weeks ago were in the bottom 3, they're unbeaten, well clear at the top of the table and have conceded only 8 goals at home. We're improving but the gap is significant.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
The players are getting used to a totally new system and new style of playing, it will not happen overnight but there are signs they are adapting well and as games go by will improve - have patience and the rewards will be worth the wait!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
BOTH players are good enough. People get on Downings back because he does not always get stuck in and sometimes bottles out of a challenge but creativley he's been one of our best players, We've said this week in and week out yet people for some reason think he should be slagged off non stop. He's our top scorer and made the goal last night.

I personally think Young is better on the left. I don't like him in the hole and he isn't a second striker thats for sure. I'd like to see Bent & Agbonlahor through the middle but that's just my opinion

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
The creativity of our teams comes from Young and Downing, i'm surprised anybody can question it.

Having said that, i'd prefer Ashley back on the wing.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
One of them should miss out in favour of an additional central midfielder. I do think Bannan, Bradley and Makoun would be a hell of a midfield.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal