collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young free kicks - why?  (Read 13153 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Ashley Young free kicks - why?
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:22:46 AM »
Why oh WHY OH WHY OH WHY?

Every single flipping time we get one, up steps Young.  Every single flipping time he fires it high and wide and handsome.  I can't remember the last time he made the keeper actually do anything other than strain his neck to see how far above the bar the shot has ended up.

Why can't we practise with somebody else taking them, or even try something different like playing it sideways and having somebody else (eg Albrighton) drilling it in?

Offline eastie

Re: Ashley Young free kicks - why?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Totally agree, vary the free kick taker because ash wastes far more than he takes decent, yes he has scored from free kicks but very rarely and more often than not is yards over and not even remotely close.

Let's see downing or someone else have a go now and again .

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
That one that he took from close up should have been taken by Collins. He showed at Wigan that he can hit them. Even though the one scored in the same goal by Chris Nicholl against Everton in the LCF 2nd replay was not a free kick, I can still see Collins hitting them like that. Bruce Rioch would never have fannied about the way Young does.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
Give Collins our free kicks.  He has a bullet of a shot on him.  He might hit the wall more often than not but that might result in taking a defenders head off.  That would be far more productive that sailing a yard over the bar into row Q.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
His corners go straight to the keeper as well.

Offline Pete Green

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
I can only assume he bangs them in during training and so they stick with it but, you're right it's so massively frustrating and totally predictable. There's obviously a skill to being deadly accurate and not many are, but this kid is next to useless at it. Even by the law of averages you'd expect more accuracy from him.

Collins has tried to blast it through the wall a couple of times lately but that's pretty futile as well.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:38:54 AM »
If you watch any other football this season everyone is having the same problem. I assume it is to do with the ball but it seems that they are all struggling to get it up and down over a wall. I agree that letting Collins just hammer it might be a better option but it's a bit harsh to single Ash out when it's a league wide issue.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
To be honest, Ashley Young's wasteful largesse isn't restricted to his dead ball efforts.

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
Maybe other players are having trouble hitting the target from free kicks but surely none miss by such a distance on a regular basis?

If ash was slightly off the radar then ok but the vast majority of his free kicks are really wayward.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
I agree, he should be taken off set piece duty until he finds his 2008 mojo again.
Albrighton is the best crosser at the club and should take corners and wide free kicks. Otherwise, let's see what Downing can do with them.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I agree, he should be taken off set piece duty until he finds his 2008 mojo again.
Albrighton is the best crosser at the club and should take corners and wide free kicks. Otherwise, let's see what Downing can do with them.

Problem is Albrighton is doing little to deserve a place at present. It's to be expected he's still learning and has played a lot of games but I think he could do with being given a couple of weeks to recharge.

Our corners on Saturday were the best they've been for ages.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

Problem is Albrighton is doing little to deserve a place at present. It's to be expected he's still learning and has played a lot of games but I think he could do with being given a couple of weeks to recharge.

Wee Barry was one of the corner takers, who was the other?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
I agree with Chris, there haven't been a lot of goals direct from free-kicks all season.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »

Pires.

Wee Barry was one of the corner takers, who was the other?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »

From Bannan.
Yes, if he plays, he should take them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal