collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NRC & Petrov  (Read 13244 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: NRC & Petrov
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
No point in keeping NRC at the end of the summer. Bradley, Makoun, Sissoko (if we get him) and Delph do a similar job and also offer something else besides. I've been supportive of NRC but always maintained that we could improve on him. We will, we have, and so its tarrah a bit.
Our midfield will be crowded with enough quality and potential that we wont need him and certainly not for a substantial commitment in wages.

If we do sign someone like Sissoko then fair enough, but if we don't there is a (potential) issue with experienced back-up in the centre, hence my suggesting we try and find some way of keeping NRC that suits him and isn't too expensive for us.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
petrov would go for an undisclosed sum like Sidwell i.e. basically nothing

A 32 year old who can only run for 50 mins before breathing out of his arse. He shouldn't be playing purely because of his shocking fitness.

i wouldn't mind if he was fucked by running box to box rather than looking like he's playing piggy in the middle when he just cant get hold of the ball

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
We'd be lucky to get £2m.
We'd still owe him approximately £6m on the two remaining years of his contract.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »

A 32 year old who can only run for 50 mins before breathing out of his arse.

Don't knock it, breathing out of one's arse is a much underrated skill.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
No point in keeping NRC at the end of the summer. Bradley, Makoun, Sissoko (if we get him) and Delph do a similar job and also offer something else besides. I've been supportive of NRC but always maintained that we could improve on him. We will, we have, and so its tarrah a bit.
Our midfield will be crowded with enough quality and potential that we wont need him and certainly not for a substantial commitment in wages.

If we do sign someone like Sissoko then fair enough, but if we don't there is a (potential) issue with experienced back-up in the centre, hence my suggesting we try and find some way of keeping NRC that suits him and isn't too expensive for us.

Bradley and Makoun, whilst not experienced in Premier League terms, have 100 caps between them and are plenty experienced. By the time the summer comes they will both be familiar with this league and are superior players. Then there is the issue of Delph who'll be coming back into first team contention once fully fit so that's three already. Then the likes of Gardner, who has 10 times the potential of Reo Coker or Petrov, will warrant at least an outside chance of getting games along with other promising kids like Bannan and Herd.
And I do think we'll sign Sissolko or somebody like him. A destroyer with all round ability.

If that all goes to plan there is no need to offer NRC a new contract. He can provide cover until the summer and then be on his way with our thanks. So it's becoming very crowded in there.

It's annoying that Petrov is on such a long contract (thanks MON, you twat). He may hang around like Beye although I hope he'd want to be playing somewhere.

So anyway. Come the summer, there's no need for either of them and I'd be disappointed if we felt we had to keep one or both as that would mean a lack of progress. We need more dynamic players in their positions, its as simple as that. In my opinion.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
I'm classing Makoun and Bradley in the 'experienced bracket', but after that it really is a matter of 4 players (Delph, Bannan, Gardner and Hogg) who have how many PL starts between them? 

I'd feel more comfortable with one older head around in case we need him, so fine if we get a Sissoko but unless we so I think one of Petrov or NRC should stay.  The way I'd few it is that if Makoun or Bradley are out you put one of the kids in, but if BOTH are out the older head plays with one of the kids.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
Fair enough John but I'm basing my opinion around getting Sissoko or somebody similar so we pretty much agree.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2011, 01:07:25 PM »
Is this the Sissoko who was at Liverpool?

Offline rbcuk

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
Is this the Sissoko who was at Liverpool?

Nah the one at toulouse Moussa Sissoko

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »
Cheers,that makes sense,as i've heard we've got a couple of deals with French clubs lined up for the summer.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
I've always been a fan of Petrov's and have felt that his apparent unpopularity with the Villa faithful was sometimes a little unwarranted. We did miss him when he was injured but I think that was more down to the inexperienced replacements we brought in and the joke of a defence we seem to now have. However, having said that, his legs have gone and he offers too little going forward to warrant being the creative force we need in the middle of the park and for that reason has to go in the summer. I think we should lose nrc as well provided we bring in someone else. Having not seen enough of Makoun or Bradley its difficult to know whether we would need a defensive or attacking minded player but I personally think a midfield three out of makoun, bradley, bannan, delph and one other signing (who has to be in the significant improvement category i.e. 10mill) with hogg, herd and gardner able for the odd run out (or loan them out) isn't half bad. The way we play at the moment we need someone breaking from midfield to free up space in behind teams (look at our goal yesterday, it was the one time we did that and was caused by Young being in that advanced central mid role and drawing the defenders to him) otherwise we are pretty ineffective with teams able to sit in two banks of four against us. That's why I feel we are in need of a lampard, modric, fabregas style player (i.e. someone who can play in the midfield, even a 2man mid, but offers a lot of movement and attacking intent).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal