collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NRC & Petrov  (Read 13233 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: NRC & Petrov
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 11:07:41 AM »
Agree with other posters NRC is very useful at closing players down and there are certain games such as Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal away where we just can't afford the luxury of playing 3 wingers.

The issue with NRC is that it is not a case of "sell him or keep him", it is "commit to an improved, big money contract or let him leave".

He is useful to have at times, but I don't think he's done anything to deserve more money.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
If I was going to keep one of the two I'd want it to be NRC.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »
Agree with other posters NRC is very useful at closing players down and there are certain games such as Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal away where we just can't afford the luxury of playing 3 wingers.

The issue with NRC is that it is not a case of "sell him or keep him", it is "commit to an improved, big money contract or let him leave".

He is useful to have at times, but I don't think he's done anything to deserve more money.
Exactly what I reckon.
Solid and unflashy, he's done nothing to merit a hike in wages.

I can imagine him going back to West Ham, if they survive.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »

Exactly what I reckon.
Solid and unflashy, he's done nothing to merit a hike in wages.

I can imagine him going back to West Ham, if they survive.

Doubt it - their fans hate him!

I get the point about contract/wages being an issue as opposed to just saying 'keep'.  I'd say stick a decent (as in existing wage) 1 year extension infront of him and he may bite.

Offline eastie

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
Can't see reo- coker ever going back to west ham after the animosity when he left there, doubt either he or the fans would consider it being viable.

Offer him the wage he is on now and I doubt he would get better terms elsewhere,yes we have replaced him with better but we need a quality squad and he offers more than petrov in my opinion .
I'm not sure what petrov is on wages wise but I'd guess it's more than nige so we would be saving on wages and getting a transfer fee if petrov goes and nige stays.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
I get the point about contract/wages being an issue as opposed to just saying 'keep'.  I'd say stick a decent (as in existing wage) 1 year extension infront of him and he may bite.

I doubt it. He's what, 26? He can go somewhere else, get a decent length contract, and on a free, so with a big signing-on fee thrown into the bargain.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »

I doubt it. He's what, 26? He can go somewhere else, get a decent length contract, and on a free, so with a big signing-on fee thrown into the bargain.

I also don't see what we've got to gain.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 11:28:30 AM »

But would that wage match what he's on here now and/or not be there in 2012 when he's 27?  I don't see him as a longterm player for us, but might be useful as experienced back-up if it is just Makoun/Bradley and then the kids.

May be the answer is a longer contract and then flog him for a fee in a year or 18 months time?   

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »
No point in keeping NRC at the end of the summer. Bradley, Makoun, Sissoko (if we get him) and Delph do a similar job and also offer something else besides. I've been supportive of NRC but always maintained that we could improve on him. We will, we have, and so its tarrah a bit.
Our midfield will be crowded with enough quality and potential that we wont need him and certainly not for a substantial commitment in wages.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »

But would that wage match what he's on here now and/or not be there in 2012 when he's 27?  I don't see him as a longterm player for us, but might be useful as experienced back-up if it is just Makoun/Bradley and then the kids.

Yeah, but that's a "what's in it for us", this is about "what's in it for me?" from NRC's perspective.

He's not going to think about a one year extension. Also, as Chris said, there's very little in it for us, either.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
Petrov looks rubbish next to Makoun.

I'd sell petrov in the summer, we don't need players with his attitude.

NRC I would definatly keep, he is a good solid player, granted abit limited. But he closes people down non stop which is needed in certain games.

If last night is anything to go by, Petrov is the one to make way for Makoun. Neither are great tacklers; Petrov 4 all game, winning 2, Makoun 8, winning 3. NRC offers us a bit of bite in midfield, his passing has dramatically improved this season and when he's played (Sunderland apart), he generally had a good game.

Whether Houllier has the balls to drop Petrov, especially after his hissy fit last night, I've no idea but we now have a run of games against teams that are fighting to stay up and they're not going to roll over. The battle will be in the midfield and if we're going to continue carrying Downing for the attacking options he brings, we need a strong central midfield. Sadly, despite giving us good service, Stan just doesn't seem to have the legs anymore. Last night whilst Utd when attacking, he was walking across the half way line. I couldn't believe my eyes. The other point is that Stan can't play the advanced midfield role and I really wish he'd stop those 25 yard shots that end up in the stands. It's not his strength and never has been, certainly not whilst at Villa.

It will be interesting to see Bradley but we should remember, despite his experience, he's only 23 and I'm not yet convinced he's the box to box player we need. He'll certainly add a bit of bite into the midfield and appears to be able to run all day. If it works out, great. If not I'd go for Makoun and NRC in the middle with Bannan in the advanced role, at least until the end of the season.

The one think we can't afford between now and May is to allow teams to bully us in the middle of the park. The defence just isn't up to it.

Offline cdward

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 11:33:36 AM »
Anyone who saw last nights game will recognise that Petrov is on his way out. He lost the ball to Giggs which led to their 2nd goal, whilst Makoun played his role well with few mistakes and more positive passing, ie less sideways passing, bearing in mind that was only his 2nd game, Makoun is a ready made replacement for Petrov.
NRC is still useful but not a game changer, as stated, this issue is already being worked.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
3 million for petrov?

is it 1st April?

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
Whoever stays be it nige or petrov then they will be a squad player in the main, I would think £3m would be the going rate for petrov personally , maybe £4m max.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 12:14:07 PM »
We'd be lucky to get £2m.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal