collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NRC & Petrov  (Read 13170 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
NRC & Petrov
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
I'm really fed up/bored of watching these two in our central midfield.

Petrov has good technique & plays the odd wonderful pass, but he's so far off the pace he's a weak link.

NRC is a very limited player, I've never seen a player look so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. He could have won us the home games v Chelsea & Blues (I think) with 2 decent chances that most midfielders would have scored. His passing has improved, but it's taken too long.

About time we moved these pair on in the summer.

They are no longer good enough to be a to 6 centre midfield (if thats where we want to be).

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Re: NRC & Petrov
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »
I'm really fed up/bored of watching these two in our central midfield.

Petrov has good technique & plays the odd wonderful pass, but he's so far off the pace he's a weak link.

NRC is a very limited player, I've never seen a player look so uncomfortable with the ball at his feet. He could have won us the home games v Chelsea & Blues (I think) with 2 decent chances that most midfielders would have scored. His passing has improved, but it's taken too long.

About time we moved these pair on in the summer.

They are no longer good enough to be a to 6 centre midfield (if thats where we want to be).

I doubt it anyone in our squad, other than A.Young and Bent, would have finished those chances. A bit harsh to criticise him for that.

I think NRC can still do a job for us, be it first team or squad coming on as sub, the job of running around and getting in peoples way and stopping them.

Petrov hasn't been good enough for a long time. I wonder who'd win a race out of Pires and Petrov?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
We signed 2 central midfield players in the window. In addition we have Delp and Bannan who the manager appears to rate.

Both NRC's and Petrov's days must be numbered.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
Bannan was unlucky to not be involved last night, maybe GH is looking to use him v Fulham on the weekend?

Delph will be a star here, but we need to be careful with him after that injury, I'd imagine next season he'll get a regular run of games.

Looking forward to seeing Bradley & Makoun get a game together.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:36 AM »
All in good time, Rome wasn't built in a day, take it one week at a time and any other applicable cliche's.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »
I'd hold on to Petrov for the moment. It's not like he'll generate a massive transfer fee at his age and he's a useful squad player.

NRC is welcome to pack his bags.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
I think we can safely say NRC will be off in the summer.  With Makoun, Bradley, Bannan and possibly Sissoko and others coming in, his game time is going to be limited.  Some fair-to-middling team like Wolves or Newcastle will offer him a good contract and we'll thank him for five years decent service.

Offline PaulTheVillan

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »
Petrov looked better v Sheff Utd & Wigan when he came on for half an hour in a more advanced role than normal.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:04:33 AM »
Next season's central midfielders:
Makoun, Sissoko, Bradley, Delph, Gardner, Bannan and Hogg.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
What a pleasure to read a nice relaxing thread, for a change.  Exactly as summarised, there is nothing to worry about.  Stan & NRC can play their part until the end of the season, their replacements have just arrived and then there are the young players coming through.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 10:07:31 AM »
NRC will be gone in the summer,and Petrov can do a job coming on for the last half hour to see out the game.

GH is addressing these problems,looking towards the future,so no point pissing our pants about it.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:45 AM »
Some fair-to-middling team like Wolves or Newcastle will offer him a good contract and we'll thank him for five years decent service.
Wouldn't surprise me to see him join a bigger team. When there's no transfer fee involved people are more likely to take a punt on someone they would never actually buy. Chelsea buying Sidwell and Man Utd buying Owen are testament to that.

If the likes of O'Shea can be earning c. £80,000 per week then paying Nige £40,000 isn't even going to register for him to come in and captain their League Cup youth team.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
We signed 2 central midfield players in the window. In addition we have Delp and Bannan who the manager appears to rate.

Both NRC's and Petrov's days must be numbered.

Exactly - strange time to start a thread on the subject as we've just signed their replacements.

My only concern is that if both go we lack any experienced back-up for Makoun and Bradley, so maybe one will stay?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »
Agreed playing both together is unnecessary, particularly with Makoun and Bradley just signed. I'd prefer NRC to Petrov in the defensive midfield role, at least he tackles. People talk about Petrov's range of passing but when it's always sideways or backwards it's not much use.
I notice that everyone on here is very pro-Delph but I have concerns if he'll make it. Is he still injured? When is he going to get a run of games? Really hope he comes good but I'm not as convinced as many others

Offline sfx412

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
I've not seen anything yet apart from some fans hyperbole that Delph is so special or that Bannan is anymore that a potential playmaker short on stature. Same with Bradley, never having played at Pem level how can he be considered such a talent. He may well prove to be but for now he's an unknown quantity.
Coker is a proven Prem player who does his holding job well, there are 8-9 other outfield players who can play the killer ball his passing is good enough for the job he does.
As for Petrov his Mon inspired immunity went as Mon drove off into obscurity.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal