collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newton Heath LYR v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 59197 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Newton Heath LYR v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »
He apparently carried on whinging about it afterwards.
I dont see what he has to complain about as he's mostly ineffective for us. Crap for the first two years, a very good much improved third year... and that's that.
He's lucky to be starting and once Delph is fully fit and Bradley is ready, he shouldn't be.
   spot on

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:48 PM »
Dunne/Collins - Very adept at heading out long crosses, and they do look good when that is all they have to face. Distinctly limited when it comes to pace and movement. They didn't exactly look watertight against Wigan. United seemed to base their game on playing the ball into space behind them. It worked a treat, we need better.

Walker - If we do not have 'option to  buy' I would rather not play him, as much as I like him and think he's a great prospect.

Clark - not  a great game, but judging by the ease with which Nani skinned other players that's hardly a surprise. I hope he learned something.

Albrighton - I hope he learned something too.

Young - played well at times against Wigan, but has dined out for an awful long time on the 2 goals he got against Everton. The money we could get is probably worth more than the player.

Downing - Whatever Houllier said about Ireland needing be to a better all round player equally applies to Downing. He did well early season with goals, largely by cleaning up at the far post. That was never going to last. He has played his part on occasions with good breaks and crosses, but not often enough. For the money he cost there ought to be more added value from him. I don't see him as part of the future either.

Makoun - totally impressive. Not fazed by having opponents snapping at his heels, always seemed to know what he wanted to do. His first touch was excellent. If he carries on like this £5 mill will be daylight robbery.

Bent - Not much of an all round player either, but from memory he's had three reasonable chances on goal in three games and put two of them away. A striker who do that is worth his weight. He needs players around him and better service. Of the current squad I'd be tempted to try Heskey in the Young role, or failing that maybe Barrington Bannan. Either may work better.

Agbonlahor - The way we play doesn't suit him at all. His biggest contribution seems to be tracking back and covering the full back. Other than that he has offered very little. If we have to have a striker on the left, Delfouneso may be a better choice.

Overall, in a few short weeks we have gone from a dysfunctional bunch of hoofers to a team that can actually play a bit. Last night demonstrated that there may still be a lot to do, but we have already come a long way.

The odd thing to me is that last year's victory was probably one of our worst performances at OT in recent years. We played much better in the 2-3 the previous season, and did so last night too.

For stats freaks, the last 5 years at OT :

2010-11 L 3-1, 23-12 (shots at goal)
2009-10 W 1-0, 19-8
2008-09 L 3-2, 18-9
2007-08 L 4-0. 15-14
2006-07 L 3-1, 26-6

not a bad post that mate

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:01 AM »
Did I really just hear the commentator on MOTD say that Rooney benefited from "two perfect passes from his team mates"?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal