collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What will represent success / failure for the second half the season?  (Read 11526 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: What will represent success / failure for the second half the season?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »
The other thing to consider is that where and how we finish this season can have a bearing on the type of player we can attract in the summer.

I used to think that right up until we signed a £24m striker while in the bottom three.

I take the point but I don't want that to be the limit of our ambitions.

Don't get me wrong - I generally agree with you and think the higher up you finish the better you look to perspective signings.  However, when you see a player like Bent come from the 6th placed club to one in the relegation zone, I think it shows that if the club can do a good enough job of selling itself and where it's going, then that can be more important than actual league position.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
The other thing to consider is that where and how we finish this season can have a bearing on the type of player we can attract in the summer.

I used to think that right up until we signed a £24m striker while in the bottom three.

Don't get me wrong - I generally agree with you and think the higher up you finish the better you look to perspective signings.  However, when you see a player like Bent come from the 6th placed club to one in the relegation zone, I think it shows that if the club can do a good enough job of selling itself and where it's going, then that can be more important than actual league position.

Not forgetting offering the player a gigantic pay rise.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »
Agreed paulie, let's finish the season as best we can and be ready for an exciting season next year. I think we can and will finish 8th, but 10th would be ok.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
Given that I and many more fans thought we were doomed to relegation once it was clear that GH was staying....

Blah blah.

Anywhere inside the top 10 and I'll be happy, but as has been said I think style over substance.  It'd be nice to get to Wembley again.  50+ points and some good performances, a shedful of goals from DB and a chance to stick it up the Houllier nay-sayers.  I think we have a good bloke, I like the way he conducts himself and I am very impressed with his handling of the squad.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 12:25:46 PM »

I think he went from £60,000 a week to £80,000 a week.  £1m a year is not to be sniffed at, but as someone pointed out at the time he lost money by handing in a transfer request.  I've moved jobs in the past for reasons other than money, but at the same time negotiated myself a payrise as I know I could so why not, but would have taken it for the same money.  I may be being naive here, but I think something similar happened with Bent as otherwise I think he'd be on more than £80 a week. 

Online The Left Side

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »
A top half finish will do me with a blend of youth and experience, we have whittled away a lot of the deadwood and when Beye, Warnock and Pires go in the summer we will be able to bring in a few new faces (goalkeeper, left back) and then Gardiner and a few other younger players. Up the Villa!

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
i would be happy with a top half finish...

getting the players used to the prem, giving some youngsters some more game time, and then resetting ourselves for what i think will be an interesting and exciting summer transfer window!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 12:39:15 PM »

I think he went from £60,000 a week to £80,000 a week.  £1m a year is not to be sniffed at, but as someone pointed out at the time he lost money by handing in a transfer request.  I've moved jobs in the past for reasons other than money, but at the same time negotiated myself a payrise as I know I could so why not, but would have taken it for the same money.  I may be being naive here, but I think something similar happened with Bent as otherwise I think he'd be on more than £80 a week. 

The figures I saw suggest he was on nothing like 60k at Sunderland, but the point i was making was that it's naive to suggest that our willingness to pay him significantly more than he was earning previously didn't have a lot to do with it.

Offline cdward

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »

Bent said as much when signing that he knew we were in a false position when he signed, the fact we have finished 6th for the last 3 seasons shows where we should be, and where other people see us, as a top 6 club. That will indeed have an influence on what players we can and will attract, Bent joined us because he knows we can finish top 6, or better, otherwise he wouldn't have joined.
Personally i think a top 6 place is what we should be aiming for, but i think we will finish top 10.
6th to 8th = success
8th to 11th  = OK
11th to 17th =  relative failure
any lower = implosion

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
Top half would be great considering how things were looking at Man City away.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
Having to move our Arsenal game from May 14th because we're in the cup final.

Offline glasses

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
For me, a reinstated feeling of belief will be success. In the last few seasons, I had belief that every game we approached we could win. Didnt fear anyone. I lost that this season at several points. It looks like its coming back, but its not quite there yet for me.

For me, top ten is a must for pride, but the way we achieve it is more important to me.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
After all the madness of the summer,i thought if we could finish mid table and blood some youngsters,in a season of transistion,then that wouldnt be too bad.

Now we have 3 youngsters who can be the future of the club,the playing style is changing and improving,and some good signings for next season. I think its how our performances improve towards the end of the season which is important,so i dont think 10-12th would be too bad.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »
Optimistic: Win the FA Cup and finish 6th
Realistic: Finish top half and beat Shitty in the  5th round and progress as far as we can.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
If I could go to any game with the expectation that I should see an enjoyable, competitive game which Villa would have realistic hopes of winning, I should deem that a success.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal