collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What will represent success / failure for the second half the season?  (Read 11525 times)

Offline villa for life

So Houllier has had his first transfer window and been very busy. He's been backed by Randy and spent some serious cash. What should be our minimum expectations from him and the team for the rest of the season?
Having spent so much, will merely keeping us up be seen as a successful end to the season or does Houllier have to do more than that?
If we finish in the bottom six, will he still be under pressure in the summer?

Offline Klaus Katt

Re: What will represent success / failure for the second half the season?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:34:28 AM »
I think it's pretty fair to judge him on the results from here, with autumn 2010 seen as a preseason.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:14:13 AM »
I think he's made some excellent signings and also cut away lots of the deadwood. Signs are there that we are trying to play a more cultured and intelligent style of football under Ged but I still think the rest of this season is more about ensuring survival than anything else. It's not beyond the realms of reason to think that we might take the momentum we've gained from 3 successive victories forward and have a barnstorming end to this season but I would hate to think that a couple of defeats would start up the 'sacked in the morning ' brigade.
Personally, I feel more optimistic about the future than I have since the middle of MON's first season

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
I think we need to be looking at a top half finish as a minimum now. I don't think we can quite write off the possibility of a top 6 finish though.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:07 AM »
Success - Top 8

Ticking along nicely in a transitional season - 9-14

Disappointing - 15th or below

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:51 AM »
Was going to say a good FA cup run - but that got a little harder with Citeh away - although there may be a twist to that match

I feel once the shitbags are out of the way tonight our current form (is it 4 wins and 2 draws in the last 6?) is pretty good and with some very good work in the window i think we can really put a good run together and get 6th - 8th - a bit similar to the Gregory era.

I think the players believe that as well - the confidence is certainly back - especially as the main dissenters are gone (carew / Ireland) and that senior players like Petrov / Dunne are back on board

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Anything less than 8th will be disappointing. Anthing higher than 7th will be fantastic.

What are the odds on our last home game of the season against Liverpool deciding 6th and 7th place? Whatever our final position, the rest of the season should prove to be very interesting.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
Anything less than 8th will be disappointing. Anthing higher than 7th will be fantastic.

What are the odds on our last home game of the season against Liverpool deciding 6th and 7th place? Whatever our final position, the rest of the season should prove to be very interesting.

That's how I see it, we've got to set our sights as high as possible. We've got a strong squad now and a bit of momentum and should be going into the rest of the season with real confidence.

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »
I'll be reasonably happy with top 10. Hopefully putting in some decent performances that will give us much optimism for next season.

Offline Mr Diggles

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
Success - Top 8

Doing ok, push on next year - 9-11

Disappointing - 11-14

Houllier out - 15-20

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:52:54 AM »
Success - Top 8 and QF of the cup at least

Disappointing - 14th and below

Expected - 11th and out of the cup in the 5th round.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »
Top 8 under the circumstances would be extremely good, 9th to 12 ok in a transition season and anything from 13 to 15 disappointing , below that I don't think we need to even think about!

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:43 AM »
do you know....I'm just going to enjoy watching the Villa and where we end up will not really bother me.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »
As long as we are well clear of relegation. I hope that if we hit the 40 points by mid late march, the fonz gets a run of games. Also hope that Gardner gets a few games

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 09:02:14 AM »
We're currently 10 points off 5th (Sppppurrrrs) and of all the clubs between us only Liverpool and Sunderland have been significantly active in the transfer window. I believe we should be able to make up much of that gap, given focus and a renewed club spirit.
Somewhere between 5th and 7th is a distinct possibility, all things being equal, on the upside.
FA Cup? - the next round is not a home banker; just tough. Maybe there's some joy in the FA Cup.

Anything less than 10th will be disappointing but I don't think Hou will be leaving us unless we fall into the trapdoor or he decides to walk.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal