collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 08:01:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: God and Sir Graham talking about the 89/90 Season  (Read 11840 times)

Offline Newquay_AVFC

Re: God and Sir Graham talking about the 89/90 Season
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22:50 PM »
That was really great to listen to. Nice one.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 11:26:04 AM »
Interesting too that, like Bent, God said he used to love playing at Villa Park before he signed for us. I've heard other players say that too.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
Thanks very much for posting the link, Ger, great effort. A very enjoyable 45 minutes. Those who've read "Back from the Brink" will be familiar with a lot of the ground covered, but it was fantastic to hear the warmth that's still there between the two of them. Great to hear Paul saying how he absolutely loved being at the Villa. SGT came over superbly as well, which he doesn't always manage on 5 live. Ah, the memories......

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 08:07:09 PM »
I didn't realise Paul had tried to commit suicide, I really hope he is doing well and is not plagued by his addictions to much. I am going to get a copy of his book, it sounds like great reading.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 02:53:12 PM »
I didn't realise Paul had tried to commit suicide, I really hope he is doing well and is not plagued by his addictions to much. I am going to get a copy of his book, it sounds like great reading.
It is good reading, but it's very tough going.

He does seem to be in a relatively good place at the moment, but it wasn't too long ago that I really did fear for him. A couple of interviews he gave showed that he was at rock bottom.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »
I wish Sir Graham had explained why he bought Cascarino instead of Sheringham.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 05:16:50 PM »

Doug could get Cascarino for several hundred thousand pounds cheaper so he did and told GT who knew Sheringham was the better player, Millwall were happy and so we thought were we!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »

He has, several times. He wanted Sheringham, Millwall's chairman Reg Barr wouldn't sell. Doug said he'd try to talk his mate Reg into selling. Still no go, but did we want Cascarino? Okay says Sir Graham, he's worth maybe 7-800k. Deal done, Doug says. For £1.5 million.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »
I thought this was brilliant. The two obviously have a lot of affection for one another and McGrath is such a naturally eloquent character (not that SGT isn't eloquent, but he's been exposed to the media a hell of a lot more) that the interview passed really swiftly. Puts the gobshites on Sky and Talksport to shame.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »

He has, several times. He wanted Sheringham, Millwall's chairman Reg Barr wouldn't sell. Doug said he'd try to talk his mate Reg into selling. Still no go, but did we want Cascarino? Okay says Sir Graham, he's worth maybe 7-800k. Deal done, Doug says. For £1.5 million.

Have you got a link supporting that - I've heard rumours along those lines, but never from Sir Graham himself.

If it's true, then Doug misered us not only of a League Title, but someone who would have been a Villa legend (or else someone we could have flogged for a tidy profit).

EDIT: Haha, just googled it and came up with an amazon link to one of your books!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:16:01 PM by Tokyo Sexwhale »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2011, 06:16:39 PM »

Have you got a link supporting that - I've heard rumours along those lines, but never from Sir Graham himself.

If it's true, then Doug misered us not only of a League Title, but someone who would have been a Villa legend (or else someone we could have flogged for a tidy profit).

I've got an entire interview with the great man. It's in the managers book which is well out of print and I keep thinking about updating, then we keep changing manager. 

It wasn't Doug being miserly; he couldn't get the player we wanted so he wasted a small fortune on another one.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »

He does seem to be in a relatively good place at the moment, but it wasn't too long ago that I really did fear for him. A couple of interviews he gave showed that he was at rock bottom.

When he said in the interview on the DVD  " My Life And Football" that he is just wasting away at the moment I thought Jesus could someone just give him something to do. He did have that "Director of Football" job with Waterford a few years back but it didn't last too long . I think it was more of a publicity stunt on behalf of the club  more than anything else, which I think they admitted  to themselves.

Offline lordmcgrath5

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2011, 09:51:05 PM »

Of course you're right in retrospect but at the time I remember feeling vindicated when Cascarino was signed. I'd been banging on to anyone who would listen (and probably quite a few who wouldn't) about how he was just the player we needed. So in retrospect: hmmm.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:02 PM »

When he said in the interview on the DVD  " My Life And Football" that he is just wasting away at the moment I thought Jesus could someone just give him something to do. He did have that "Director of Football" job with Waterford a few years back but it didn't last too long . I think it was more of a publicity stunt on behalf of the club  more than anything else, which I think they admitted  to themselves.

Someone I know says that his propensity for falling off the wagon might just be his ultimate undoing. They said at Paul Birch's funeral he was in a terrible state of disrepair, although I think that's justified though not necessarily healthy.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:03 PM »
But if Graham had just said he didn't rate Cascarino we wouldn't have made any bid for him and maybe got someone better instead. Considering he unearthed three of Villa's best players of the past 25 years I suppose slack should be cut.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal