collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The race for 6th  (Read 10869 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: The race for 6th
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »
Villa fans are very fickle. Aren't we?

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
If the four sides below us all win their games in hand we're back down to 18th.

Don't want to come across as pessimistic, but I think we still need to pay more attention to what's below us than what's above.

Agree. Take each game as it comes. Concentrate, concentrate, concentrate.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
Fickle to the bone son.
The one thing we can't do now is to become complacent. Our fixtures aren't too bad, if we can string another couple of wins together, taking a draw at United, we'll be right back up there. Like someone said, I don't think Sunderland will be able to keep going to the end of the season.
It makes a change to the MO'N routine of fast start, poor finish that we've been so used to over the last few years. If anything, I'd rather it be like this, with us doing an Everton and picking up the points when it really matters.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 01:35:32 PM »
I agree that we need to take it one step at a time but there is no denying that 6th is up for grabs for any team in the bottom half who can put a run together. The last couple of weeks make it look like we might be able to do that, the previous couple of months having made it look like we were far from being able to.
It's Sunderland's to blow but I have faith that they'll do so. I think our main rival will be Liverpool. Maybe a play-off for 6th last game of the season?

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »
I wondered how long it would take an optimist to mention this.

Let's just keep winning as much as possible and let GH get his style of play across to all members of the squad. I think that's the important thing from now until the end of the season. GH preparing his team for next season.

I am very happy to be referred to as an optimist.  6th is a real stretch, no denying that, but worth aiming for.

I think if we can get to 40 points as soon as poss then why not 'look up' and go for it ; we have the players to get win after win aagainst who we will be playing

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 01:43:41 PM »
take each game as it comes and hopefully at the end of the day we willl get the the right results....

slowly,slowly,catchey,monkey

UTV

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »

Do you have many monkeys in Duxford?

I have seen a few in Sawston. At least I think they were monkeys

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

Do you have many monkeys in Duxford?

I have seen a few in Sawston. At least I think they were monkeys

you know Sawston very well Damon, I was in the Alma a few weeks ago and bumped into a mate of yours called John(I think) he told me where to buy some lovely farm produce    ;-)

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
The thing is, if the league was as stretched out pointwise as it is normally, being 9 points behind 6th with 14 games to go, having signed a top goalscorer and looking like we are starting to perform would not seem as crazy.

It's the fact that there are so many other teams in the same position as us.

However, I dont think many, if any, are as well equipped as us to make a go for 6th.

After all, the point difference between us and 6th is less than the difference between Man Utd and Chelsea and I wouldnt write Chelsea out of the title race just yet.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
I am cautiously optomistic for top 8, however after the frighteneing position we have been in I would take where we are right now.

Offline jembob

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 02:20:48 PM »
It's pretty open this season and 6th is not too much to ask. We now have a very good squad of fit players and the thing which would stop us now would be the attitude of the players. As long as these can maintain some focus and the belief that they can beat anybody then I most certainly think that 6th is on.

I would never want to rule Everton out of finishing strongly, but there's a stink about them this year. They've had hardly any injury problems but have continually been crap or chucked away points. I wouldn't be surprised to see Moyes go at the end of the season.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 02:38:06 PM »
I was thinking the same last night.  I went on points predictor on BBC and had us finishing 6th.  Then I tweaked it slightly, changing a win at Blackpool for a draw and a win over LIverpool into a defeat and we finished 10th.  That is testament to how tight it is and is likely to be right until the last day.  Shame we are away to our nemesis and champions elect next as we coud have built up some real momentum had we had Fulham, Blackpool, Bolton etc now rather than after a likely beating at OT.  I hope we can bounce back from said defeat (should it happen) and go on a run afterwards.  Hopefully we can beat Blackburn in the FA cup before we go to United and build yet more confidence.

In conclusion:
6th is possible, but so is 16th and the two may only be 2 or 3 wins apart.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:49:39 PM by Holtenderinthesky »

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »
Should't that be in orange?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
We're bored of finishing 6th.

Offline JJ-AV