collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Project Anthem  (Read 103534 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Project Anthem
« Reply #420 on: April 12, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
The bells were good, in the Lower Holte you couldn't hear anything else after them other than fans singing something different.

Let's not knock it completely, it would be great if we could get something going wouldn't it?  The problem is trying to start one in this day and age, it's tricky and not passed from generation to generation. The Bells are Ringing is an old tune and the only way to really get it going would be to leave the words etc out on seats, play the tune in the background to help folk along and keep on doing it until it becomes ingrained. Or come up with something different. However, Sunday was only the first attempt.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #421 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:47 PM »
Thẹ problem with thẹ bells are ringing is that it is more like a terrace chtant than an anthem. Clubs with easily recognisable anthem have basically copied famous songs, i.e you'll never walk alone, delillah.

I think we should adopt thẹ same strategy and get a famous song that everyone can sing. I like Annie's Song by John Denver, but I think sheffield utd might already sing that. Is there not a famous song from a Birmingham group that is easily recognisable?

That's the one, couldn't think what it was.  At the Youth Cup semi they played the first line over the PA just before the start of each half and the crowd then sang the rest of the song without accompaniment.
Can't recall them doing it for the FA cup match, but probably wasn't listening and there was a lot more noise in Villa end.

They've been singing it for years but with their own lyrics:

You fill up my senses
Like a gallon of Magnet
Like a packet of Woodbines
Like a good pinch of snuff
Like a night out in Sheffield
Like a greasy chip butty
Like Sheffield United
Come fill me again....

Offline villa1

« Reply #422 on: April 12, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
And it's loud too!

Offline Blackcountry Villa

« Reply #423 on: April 12, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
That Sheffield Utd song is my favourite football anthem. Been there several times now and it sounds mightily impressive before kick off, very catchy aswell. Na na na na na na oo oo!

Offline kiddylion

« Reply #424 on: April 12, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
i couldnt here anything,the tannoy was broke in the north stand just as it was for the wolves game.
any chance of it being fixed for the stoke game general?

Offline villa1

« Reply #425 on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:16 PM »
You'll need to register for the General's thread to ask that.

And anyway, think yourself lucky... The tannoy's been broken in the Holte for years!!! :-)

Offline Hopadop

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #426 on: April 12, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
That Sheffield Utd song is my favourite football anthem. Been there several times now and it sounds mightily impressive before kick off, very catchy aswell. Na na na na na na oo oo!

They do belt it out, but then it's on with the serious business of booing and moaning. As they've got every reason to.

I'm not sure a club anthem would change all that much.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
It didn't work did it ?

Makes you realise how majoritarian non Internet supporters are!

Either that or the fans on the Holte aren't going to be told what to sing.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:22 AM »
I remember Gillingham's club anthem a couple of season's back, The Last Waltz by Engelbert Humperdinck, which was a bit bizarre.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2011, 03:22:09 PM »

They do belt it out, but then it's on with the serious business of booing and moaning. As they've got every reason to.

I'm not sure a club anthem would change all that much.

The thing is, when you're in the middle of it and experiencing it, you want to do it again. I've been a couple of times of late and it was fun.

I tell thee summat love, thee's bluddy reet abaht them havin summat te moange abaht. Propahr load o fookin shite.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal