collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Project Anthem  (Read 103461 times)

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Re: Project Anthem
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
Anyone remember us singing "Mull of Kintyre" back in the day ?

Was the time of the Balloons - recall us singing it at the Baseball Ground.

I know it does not have Villa featured in i,t but neither does Delilah mention Stoke or KRO mention the Scum.

Mull of Kintyre would be a brilliant basis for an anthem: the lyrics would just need tweaking BUT it has all the attributes of a classic.
Mull of Kintyre? Dear Me... that's going to have the opposition crapping their pants isn't it!
Besides, that's a Charlton "anthem" isn't.... and shite too.

I love Ghostriders... but it's sang too fast nowadays and is not the same.

As for anything scaring the oppo - is there really a Premier Lge player whose going to be put off be some singing.. maybe the odd mascot might be a tad tearful, but a player?
If the idea is to put off the opposition how about we all take an empty crisp packet and pop them together.

Perhaps we could all carry a laser pen in to the ground - now that would put em off

PS M O K was only a suggestion - and we did sing it back in the day - what`s your idea of an anthem then?

Offline pav

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
It maybe because we'd had a few, but we agreed that the chorus of Any Dream Will Do would make a good football anthem...

May I return to the beginning
The light is dimming, and the dream is too
The world and I, we are still waiting
Still hesitating
Any dream will do

So, as well as now having the oft mentioned forward line we will be singing show tunes in the stand?
makoun and technicolor jumper

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 08:28:47 PM »
Land of Hope and Glory.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:07 PM »
The thing that bugs me about Ghostriders is that it's a real loose connection between the Cash song and what is sung on the terraces, the tune is barely recognisable.  I can't be the only one that thinks that, surely?

I'm with you on this.  The tune sung on the terraces sounds nothing like the Cash song.  I know the tune is viewed as a classic for the Villa fan of a certain vintage but I just can't quite feel its anthemic qualities. 
As I asked earlier, is it supposed to be?

I might be wrong but I thought the signings of HEITS predates the Cash version by a fair while.

Online Holte L2

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
Has to be bells are ringing.
What are the full verses? I always forget-i know I shouldnt. Time to memorise them!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
One version:

The bells are ringing for the claret and blue,
The fans are singing for the claret and blue,
Everybody is knowing,
To the Villa we are going,
Cause the Villa are showing,
We're the best in the land.
BEST IN THE LAND!!

Offline myf

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:15 PM »
The song Brigada have been singing to 'Just can't get enough' is class, IMO.

The Bells Are Ringing is your best bit, I reckon.

What words are sung by Brigada?

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
Should probably go with someone "local", such as Ozzy Osbourne, Led Zeppelin, or Duran Duran.

.....or we could just nick You'll Never Walk Alone...

Online Dave

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Should probably go with someone "local", such as Ozzy Osbourne, Led Zeppelin, or Duran Duran.
Rodgers & Hammerstein were from neither Liverpool nor Manchester and Tom Jones wasn't from Stoke.

I don't think it really matters where the writer/singer is from.

Offline glasses

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

.....or we could just nick You'll Never Walk Alone...

Or Ocean Colour Scene?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »
Anyone remember us singing "Mull of Kintyre" back in the day ?

Was the time of the Balloons - recall us singing it at the Baseball Ground.

I know it does not have Villa featured in i,t but neither does Delilah mention Stoke or KRO mention the Scum.

Mull of Kintyre would be a brilliant basis for an anthem: the lyrics would just need tweaking BUT it has all the attributes of a classic.
Mull of Kintyre? Dear Me... that's going to have the opposition crapping their pants isn't it!
Besides, that's a Charlton "anthem" isn't.... and shite too.

I love Ghostriders... but it's sang too fast nowadays and is not the same.

As for anything scaring the oppo - is there really a Premier Lge player whose going to be put off be some singing.. maybe the odd mascot might be a tad tearful, but a player?
If the idea is to put off the opposition how about we all take an empty crisp packet and pop them together.

Perhaps we could all carry a laser pen in to the ground - now that would put em off

PS M O K was only a suggestion - and we did sing it back in the day - what`s your idea of an anthem then?

As I said I love Ghostriders, but that, nor any other "anthem' is going to scare the oppo. I've never been to a ground and been scared by someone's anthem, and can't imagine a player ever has.

Not exactly an anthem but I also used to like the old one where we all put our hands in the air and just went "Woooaaahh" (or however you might write that, sounds crap written down!) for ages - remember doing for almost the entire half in the Smethwick End once, and  occasionally it broke into "Villa, Villa, Villa" before back to the humm which started quiet a got louder, and louder on and off.

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »
I think for the fans to sing.....'The Bells are Ringing' should definitely be our anthem. Sung really really slowly.

Would be fantastic if it could be started as the players come out of the tunnel by the sound of church bells actually ringing....with the crowd then taking over the singing.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
The thing that bugs me about Ghostriders is that it's a real loose connection between the Cash song and what is sung on the terraces, the tune is barely recognisable.  I can't be the only one that thinks that, surely?

I'm with you on this.  The tune sung on the terraces sounds nothing like the Cash song.  I know the tune is viewed as a classic for the Villa fan of a certain vintage but I just can't quite feel its anthemic qualities. 

I might be wrong but I thought the signings of HEITS predates the Cash version by a fair while.

I don't know the history of it Dave.  I do know that the bloke who started the thread linked it to the Cash song though, hence my point.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:44 PM »
One version:

The bells are ringing for the claret and blue,
The fans are singing for the claret and blue,
Everybody is knowing,
To the Villa we are going,
Cause the Villa are showing,
We're the best in the land.
BEST IN THE LAND!!
thats the one love it when the holte sing it . i think it has to long since it was last song at a home game

Online Dave

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

I don't know the history of it Dave.  I do know that the bloke who started the thread linked it to the Cash song though, hence my point.
Fair point.

It's clearly all his fault then (winky)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal