collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Project Anthem  (Read 103526 times)

Offline pedro25

Re: Project Anthem
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
Jerusalem, with Villa words?

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Ian Brown - F.E.A.R

Quality song, totally non cheesy, easy lyrics and totally haunting. if this was played before a game id be kicking every ball. someone back me up here.....

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 07:47:22 PM by mattjpa »

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
Anyone remember us singing "Mull of Kintyre" back in the day ?

Was the time of the Balloons - recall us singing it at the Baseball Ground.

I know it does not have Villa featured in i,t but neither does Delilah mention Stoke or KRO mention the Scum.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 07:51:35 PM »
Reading through the thread on VT, bits about adding atmosphere before the game kicks off, aswell as having an anthem. An idea for scaring the shit out of the opposition.

If scaring the opposition is the aim, then go with "Godlike" by KMFDM. It'll scare em and deafen em at the same time

Offline glasses

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
Ian Brown - F.E.A.R

Quality song, totally non cheesy, easy lyrics and totally haunting. if this was played before a game id be kicking every ball. someone back me up here.....

Like!

Offline AVFC-Tom

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
thanks for the feedback, so i take it you guys are behind it? i think it would be great if we could get a mass poll going in about 3 or 4 days time after people have discussed choices. slowish, powerful songs with lyrics which don't relate at all.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »
The thing that bugs me about Ghostriders is that it's a real loose connection between the Cash song and what is sung on the terraces, the tune is barely recognisable.  I can't be the only one that thinks that, surely?

I'm with you on this.  The tune sung on the terraces sounds nothing like the Cash song.  I know the tune is viewed as a classic for the Villa fan of a certain vintage but I just can't quite feel its anthemic qualities. 

Something along the lines of "Jerusalem" would be good.  An ideal anthem would be stirring, hairs on the back of the neck tingling, mood-lifting and performance enhancing.  And it would have to reflect the class of the club. "The Bells Are Ringing", when sung by everyone, has a lot of these qualities.

I often wonder if Nigel Kennedy would be prepared to record Elgar's "Nimrod" for us to play as the teams come out...for me, that would be pure Aston Villa.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »
A few years ago I was discussing this with at a mate's house, and we agreed that many of the most memorable football anthems have a hint of melancholy about them; they are songs of following regardless of circumstances. Think, You'll Never Walk Alone, I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, and, dare I say it, Keep Right On.

Anyway, on telly at the moment was the Andrew Lloyd-Webber finds a new Joseph talent show.  It maybe because we'd had a few, but we agreed that the chorus of Any Dream Will Do would make a good football anthem...

May I return to the beginning
The light is dimming, and the dream is too
The world and I, we are still waiting
Still hesitating
Any dream will do

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »
thanks for the feedback, so i take it you guys are behind it? i think it would be great if we could get a mass poll going in about 3 or 4 days time after people have discussed choices. slowish, powerful songs with lyrics which don't relate at all.

Totally behind it, just what we need as the holte has been a bit below par of late. please see above and copy/paste on VT for me! all these old songs are fine but not everyone is over 50, the new generation need to relate too....

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
...As for Ian Brown and "Fear"...too Mancunian for Aston Villa.  Great tune but a "no" from me!

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »

I know it does not have Villa featured in i,t but neither does Delilah mention Stoke or KRO mention the Scum.

Mull of Kintyre would be a brilliant basis for an anthem: the lyrics would just need tweaking BUT it has all the attributes of a classic.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 08:07:57 PM »
It maybe because we'd had a few, but we agreed that the chorus of Any Dream Will Do would make a good football anthem...

May I return to the beginning
The light is dimming, and the dream is too
The world and I, we are still waiting
Still hesitating
Any dream will do

So, as well as now having the oft mentioned forward line we will be singing show tunes in the stand?

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 08:11:58 PM »
Ian Brown - F.E.A.R

Love that song

Offline glasses

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »
How about this?

Local band, Villa fans?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »

Mull of Kintyre would be a brilliant basis for an anthem: the lyrics would just need tweaking BUT it has all the attributes of a classic.
Mull of Kintyre? Dear Me... that's going to have the opposition crapping their pants isn't it!
Besides, that's a Charlton "anthem" isn't.... and shite too.

I love Ghostriders... but it's sang too fast nowadays and is not the same.

As for anything scaring the oppo - is there really a Premier Lge player whose going to be put off be some singing.. maybe the odd mascot might be a tad tearful, but a player?
If the idea is to put off the opposition how about we all take an empty crisp packet and pop them together.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal